Woodpecker's 6" Carpenter's Square

Review by timbertailor posted 09-18-2014 04:15 PM 5192 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodpecker's 6" Carpenter's Square Woodpecker's 6" Carpenter's Square Woodpecker's 6" Carpenter's Square Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not much you can say about any Carpenter’s Square. They have a wealth of uses every day and is probably everyone’s most used measurement and\or layout tool.

So why buy the offering from Woodpecker's?

For one, it has a unique design that allows the square to sit on its base without falling over. Make’s checking 90 and 45 degree angles a snap. This feature also gives the tool heft which comes in handy.

The quality of the materials insures accuracy of the tool over the life of its use. There is just something about tool plate aluminium that oozes quality and makes a tool feel good to the hands. The anodized material insures that it will not oxidize. The Woodpecker Red is just a bonus!

If this were a tool that was used once in a blue moon, it might be hard to justify its price. But, for a tool that one will probably pick up every time you step into the shop, it is the last carpenter’s square you will ever need.

Its size is very useful. Anything larger, and it just would not fit in some of those tighter spots or be as useful.

And accuracy? Well, it should be well within one thousands of an inch over its entire length and stay that way for years to come.

Woodpecker products come with a lifetime warranty and are made in the USA. Probably the best reason to buy their products. You will be supporting your local business owner.

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

#1 posted 09-18-2014 05:52 PM

I bought one of these this summer. I don’t think I’ve used another square for layout since then. My only regret is not buying one sooner.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

#2 posted 09-18-2014 06:24 PM

Worth every penny!

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "Finished"!

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#3 posted 09-18-2014 06:32 PM

Best tools around… great company and great people to deal with.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

#4 posted 09-18-2014 06:46 PM

Best tools around… great company and great people to deal with.

- ellen35

Quality tools make in the USA with lifetime warranties.

And they are great people to deal with. Any problems I have had were corrected immediately with no questions asked.

Thanks for the input Ellen.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 09-18-2014 08:20 PM

is it dead on square?

Seriously… not mocking…. if you draw a line and then flip it over to check square, is it spot on?

I’ve found that even top brand squares (Starrett) aren’t always square.

It seems to be luck of the draw for me.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#6 posted 09-18-2014 09:00 PM

is it dead on square?

I ve found that even top brand squares (Starrett) aren t always square.

It seems to be luck of the draw for me.

- Mainiac Matt

I used a 0.5mm Incra pencil and checked. Spot on.

But, since I like you, I will break out the dial gauge. Not sure if it is any more accurate than the tool but I will report back my findings.

And it is not just you. I feel like Schleprock on many of my transactions, as well.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#7 posted 09-19-2014 04:25 AM

Your review made me order their new stainless version of this carpenters square. Now I just have to wait till January :) .

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#8 posted 09-19-2014 02:00 PM

- bobasaurus

It will be worth the wait. I like the fact the new design has the angle degrees marked along its one edge.

Keep us posted Bob.

Matt,

I took a dial gauge to the square last night and could not find ANY deviation along its length, ON BOTH edges.

I stuck my dial gauge in the miter slot of my table saw and clamped the square to the table. I had to do a little maneuvering of the triangle several times before I got it parallel to the slot but once I did, the square measured perfectly along its entire length, along both edges.

I also laid each edge on the table saw and used a 0.0015” feeler gauge (smallest I had-need to order some) to see if there was any readily apparent deviation. I could not slide the feeler gauge under the carpenter’s square anywhere.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#9 posted 09-20-2014 02:19 AM

Great review, thanks for posting.

Here’s where to purchase one:

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#10 posted 09-22-2014 02:28 PM

Thanks for the follow up…

looks like a keeper

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Al Amantea's profile

Al Amantea

#11 posted 09-24-2014 03:14 AM

That’s all great and everything. It IS a great square. However, I can’t possibly justify $100(!) for a 6” Carpenter’s square, no matter HOW GOOD IT IS!!!!

This is just an absolutely OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE TOOL. Unless you are working with Diamonds, or Gold, No Matter WHAT YOU DO with your setup, the wood WILL MOVE ANYWAY. I don’t care how careful you are, or how accurate you are with your setup and cuts, joinery, and finishing. THE WOOD WILL MOVE. The joint will NEVER stay the way you initially cut it. Tolerances of anything less than .003” just are not necessary with wood.

I would much rather spend $100 on some nicely figured wood, or maybe even a new Router bit, or a new tool that allows me to do something more efficiently, or even spend $100 to build a new style jig that allows me to gain capabilities and techniques.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I truly believe that accuracy is paramount to creating a quality product, and consistently use dial indicators, calipers (digital), and other high quality tools and gauges, to setup my cuts, tools, etc. With over 37 years of experience in construction and woodworking, and having created thousands of products for clients on many different levels, I believe it IS faster and easier using these tools to insure my accuracy.

With that said, Does anyone here truly believe that their joinery stays the way they cut it or that a .001” accuracy is needed for working with wood? I would hope not, or they will never be happy with any product they create for very long.

Remember, Measure twice, cut once… but don’t measure at all if you don’t have to. (If you need me to explain this adage, let me know. I would be more than happy to do so.)

-- Measure Twice, then cut it again...

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#12 posted 09-24-2014 04:55 AM

Finding an accurate square is remarkably difficult. Even my starrett double square is off by more than 1 thou over its length. Also, I have a soft spot for nice layout tools. Definitely overpriced, but I still need it in my life :) .

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#13 posted 09-25-2014 01:14 AM

Not sure where you are getting a $100 figure to start with. It is on sale for $63 as I write this.

Those who consider some tools too expensive have a right to feel that way. They are not for everyone.

Kinda like sports cars. Not necessary and most people just want to get from point A to point B and have little or no appreciation for the tool itself.

That is why I like woodworking. Some prefer a sharp axe or a chainsaw, others prefer a router or table saw. Makes for an interesting hobby.

View Al Amantea's profile

Al Amantea

#14 posted 09-25-2014 01:43 AM

Ok. That is a completely different square than the previous link from incremental tools that was given.
Even so, $63 is still a lot for a carpenters square, but is considerably less than $100. I could almost justify that price. As you said, an extravagant price but it may very well be worth that.
My original point still stands though. Is it needed? Probably not. But then again, a few grand for a tablesaw probably isn’t needed either. I find the pricing of some tools to be ridiculously expensive. A Festool Domino costs more than a lot of people spend on a table saw, but some wouldn’t build without it. I’m not one of those people.
There are many different ways to do joinery. Traditional methods are inexpensive, but can be time consuming. It doesn’t make one method better, just different.
Personally, I have a true love affair with tools, but I have to be able to justify the cost to myself. This is the way I make my living, so cost overruns are an important part of the process for me. Your mileage may vary…

-- Measure Twice, then cut it again...