Kreg's new AutoMaxx 6" Bench Klamps

Review by timbertailor posted 09-18-2014 03:47 AM 4849 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kreg's new AutoMaxx 6" Bench Klamps Kreg's new AutoMaxx 6" Bench Klamps Kreg's new AutoMaxx 6" Bench Klamps Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you are already a proud owner of an assembly table with some type of extruded aluminium track solution, then keep reading.

I recently decided to build an assembly table and was looking for some new clamps to accompany my table. I found a product presentation on YouTube and decided to give them a try.

First, they are very powerful. The first thing I had to do once I had them installed on the table using a dual purpose track (1 3/4” x 1/2”) was to turn down the clamping force. The ease with which this procedure is carried out is brilliant and can be done without a tool.

Obviously, the nicest thing about these clamps is that you do not have to adjust anything to clamp different thickness materials. I did not realize how much of a pain it used to be to have make an adjustment every time I picked up a clamp.

The reach of these can theoretically cover a 12” wide section on the table, making it much more economical to provide full coverage for even the largest of tables. They swivel in 360 degrees so the versatility is a welcome feature.

The pads on the ends of the clamps are over a square inch and provide a large surface to prevent marring. Obviously, these were made with the intention of completing a pocket hole jig project with face frames as a priority. But, I have found them to be well adapted to just about every need I have wanted for my assembly table.

These are designed for their tables\track systems which is a 5/16”-18 thread\bolt. But, if you have a little patience, you can grind the oem bolt heads and threads to fit 1/4”-20 track systems like I did.

I am impressed with the quality, design, and materials used, especially the grip. I realize not everybody cares but these are very comfortable to lock down, hold, or position.

My only niggle is that I would liked to have seen a HDPE material or like used on the bottom to prevent scratches and make sliding easier.

If you are looking for new clamps for your assembly table, I would recommend giving these clamps a try.

Warning: Do NOT use with 1/4” screw in track. These clamps would pull it out within seconds.

View hotncold's profile

hotncold

#1 posted 09-18-2014 03:53 AM

Awesome review Brad and they work great with your new table top but….what’s a “niggle”?

-- Dennie - Tennessee

#2 posted 09-18-2014 03:59 AM

t….what s a “niggle”?

- hotncold

As defined by Merriam

to argue or make criticisms about something that is not important.

Thanks and I hope you found the review helpful.

View hotncold's profile

hotncold

#3 posted 09-18-2014 04:04 AM

Not only are you a great craftsman…you’re an equally proficient “wordsmith”. Awesome. And I did enjoy your review and I LOVE your table.

-- Dennie - Tennessee

View JayT's profile

JayT

#4 posted 09-18-2014 12:48 PM

Good review. I have a couple of the original Bench Klamps and like them very much for various tasks. Haven’t purchased the Automaxx versions yet, but that’s what I’ll get if/when needing more.

This surprised me, however.

Mine came with little self adhesive HDPE pads in the box, so that the purchaser could decide whether or not to use them. I am using them on mine. Maybe Kreg isn’t including them anymore?

-- In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson

#5 posted 09-18-2014 02:51 PM

Good review. I have a couple of the original Bench Klamps and like them very much for various tasks. Haven t purchased the Automaxx versions yet, but that s what I ll get if/when needing more.

This surprised me, however.

Mine came with little self adhesive HDPE pads in the box, so that the purchaser could decide whether or not to use them. I am using them on mine. Maybe Kreg isn t including them anymore?

- JayT

Mine came in bubble wrap and I did not see anything like that. Thanks for the heads up though.

#6 posted 09-18-2014 02:54 PM

Not only are you a great craftsman…you re an equally proficient “wordsmith”. Awesome. And I did enjoy your review and I LOVE your table.

- hotncold

Thanks Dennie. You know, that was my father’s name. You are in good company.

Speaking of my father, he was big into education and I was its lucky recipient. Probably one of his greatest gifts to me and I try to make the most of it. Glad you enjoyed the review and thank you for your support and kind words.

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

#7 posted 09-20-2014 12:46 AM

I have two I use on my slot mortiser and I am delighted with them.
They are perfect for this task, quick release and re-clamp for easy set up. No complaints about the firm grip either.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

#8 posted 10-08-2014 12:48 AM

I have two I use on my slot mortiser and I am delighted with them.

- exelectrician

Glad you like them. I was doing some work on the drill press and grabbed a couple to hold down my work. I really am getting very used to them (read as very spoiled).

I think I speak for everyone in saying we appreciate your feedback, as well.