Not my faves.

Review by CharlesA posted 09-14-2014 11:20 PM 2927 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not my faves. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A few months ago I posted a review of some Kimberly-Clark Nitrile Gloves that I really liked. In the responses, several folks discussed their love of Harbor Freight nitrile gloves. I hardly ever go there, but today I needed to drop by and so I picked up some of these 5 mil gloves (they offer 3, 5, 7, and 9). I didn’t want them to be thin like the ones at the drug store (3) or as thick as some others I’d picked up (7), so I thought I would try the 5 mil model.

In doing some painting of used machinery and moving some things around as a result, the gloves on both of my hands ripped. Not once have the Kimberly-Clark gloves ripped (those are 6 mil, IIRC). The Kimberly-Clarks have never ripped on me, and I’ve gone through a whole box.

So, the price is right (on sale for $7.49/100), but I won’t be buying any more of these for my use. I may try their 7 mil model at some point.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

View longgone's profile

longgone

#1 posted 09-15-2014 04:08 AM

I have used their 9 mil gloves for quite a long while. Being thick they do not tear and for me they come in handy for rubbing finishes in like boiled linseed oil or wipe on poly. I use them when I change the oil and filters on my van and car also. Cheap enough.

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#2 posted 09-15-2014 02:33 PM

I also like the 9 mil gloves, no issues with tearing. I bought the 5 mil gloves, and had the same issues you noted. I keep them around for less demanding tasks, such as applying a gel stain, because I didn’t want to throw out 1/2 a box. I can’t say for sure, but I felt like the alcohol in shellac made them more susceptible for tearing.

If nothing else, you’ll find the black gloves make you look cooler than the blue ones.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View Fettler's profile

Fettler

200 posts in 2077 days

#3 posted 09-16-2014 09:49 AM

I have the 5 mil and the 9 mil. The 5 mils rip very easily, the 9 mils are great. the worst part about the 5 mill though is they start to deteriorate in contract with any sort of oil, cleaner, grease, whatever. Sorta makes them useless.

-- --Rob, Seattle, WA

#4 posted 09-16-2014 02:27 PM

I use the 9mills, I am happy with them

View dschlic1's profile

dschlic1

440 posts in 2050 days

#5 posted 09-16-2014 05:52 PM

I am using the 3 mil gloves for finishing. So far I have not had one failure, and I have used about a half a box. Please note that I only use them when applying finish of some sort.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#6 posted 09-16-2014 05:55 PM

I like the thicker ones for some tasks, but not for everything. I’m going back to the Kimberly Clark 6 mil purple gloves for general use. I’ll use the 9 mil for rougher stuff.