combo disks

Review by alysonsdad posted 09-09-2014 12:55 AM 3567 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
combo disks No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

bought the combo 5 hole/8 hole sanding disks. don’t work well at all will not buy any more

-- Illegitimi non carborundum

View alysonsdad's profile

alysonsdad

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#1 posted 09-09-2014 12:58 AM

How did they not meet your expectation? Did they not last long, shred off the sander?

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3341 posts in 1942 days

#2 posted 09-09-2014 01:04 AM

A regular Philip Glass review.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#3 posted 09-09-2014 12:49 PM

I use Diablo sanding discs all the time. Work great for me. But thanks for the in-depth review!

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications: http://www.stumpynubs.com/

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 09-09-2014 07:43 PM

I use the yellow Norton disks….. but have wondered if the Diablo is just made by Norton, died red instead of yellow, and private labeled for Freud, as they sure look the same.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View William's profile

William

#5 posted 09-09-2014 08:26 PM

I would love to know what issue the poster has with the Diablo disks.
I buy nothing but Diablo for my Ridgid sanders and love em.

-- http://wddsrfinewoodworks.blogspot.com/

View alysonsdad's profile

alysonsdad

#6 posted 09-09-2014 11:22 PM

Sorry for the lack of depth in my review. I was not talking about the quality of the sanding. I use them outside a lot. My problem is the dust collection. I use a 5 hole sander and the dust collection is sorry. I have a shop vac hooked up to my PC.

-- Illegitimi non carborundum

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3341 posts in 1942 days

#7 posted 09-10-2014 12:17 AM

This was a review of how well your dust collection works with these disks? Huh.

Abyssus abyssum invocat

View REL's profile

REL

#8 posted 09-10-2014 05:56 AM

Alysonsdad, I agree with you. I don’t care for the dust collection of the Diablo sand paper with my Dewalt sander. Norton seems to do a cleaner job.

Also I’m only replying to your post because I thought CharlesA was a bit insulting to you.

What are you trying to prove CharlesA?

-- REL, North Jersey

View William's profile

William

#9 posted 09-10-2014 09:48 AM

Maybe the dust collection works better on some brands than others.
Using diablos on my ridgid sanders, it fills the little bags with the finest dust.
I wish you had gotten better results with them.

-- http://wddsrfinewoodworks.blogspot.com/

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#10 posted 09-10-2014 01:24 PM

- alysonsdad

So, excuse me for being skeptical (like CharlesA), but it sounds like there isn’t enough information to form a full opinion/conclusion on my part. That or the basis for comparison is too subjective to really provide an answer. I’m curious, is this a comparison with other 5” x 5 hole sandpaper, or are you just testing the Freud Diablo sandpaper?

REL seems to imply that in comparison on a Dewalt sander (8 hole pattern?), Norton (same hole pattern?) has better dust collection (with a shop vacuum?) than the Freud Diablo paper?

-- paxorion

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#11 posted 09-10-2014 02:17 PM

I’m actually glad you wrote this review. I have a Dewalt sander and I was getting ready to buy the BIG pack of these at HD. You just possibly saved me months of crappy dust collection.

Thanks

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#12 posted 09-10-2014 10:17 PM

Personally I think the Diablo sanding pads are terrible. They don’t last near as long as Mirka pads, and since they don’t last as long, and the grit doesn’t break down as you’d expect, it just comes off in large chunks. I tried the 80 and 120 and would never use either of them again, on any visible wood working project.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#13 posted 09-11-2014 08:22 AM

Not to step on anyone’s toes, I like the Diablo sanding pads…in fact, I like the Diablo belts as well. I have a couple different sanders and use Diablo all the time for rough sanding as well as finish… I wish they made them in finer grits. I’m sure there are allot of good places that make and sell sandpaper…heck, I found some 400 & 600 grit at HD and it is really good. Sorry some of you had back luck with them…I use a 5 and 8 hole sander.

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View palaswood's profile

palaswood

#14 posted 09-11-2014 07:26 PM

I personally was pretty disappointed with the overpriced 5 packs at HD of these diablo pads.
I got a boatload of Mirka pads online for much less, and they last MUCH longer. +1 on the little clumps of grit coming off, and the hook and loop backing on the sheets wore off VERY quickly, sometimes before the grit itself (if changing often)

Mirka gold all the way, for price/performance its my best best.

Seems to me, if the holes are aligned with the holes on your sander, then the dust collection performance would solely depend on your ROS sander model and method of dust collection. So i see what some of those guys up there were referring to. Reviews are only as good as the supporting info contained in them, but I still have to agree with you.

Mirka > > > Diablo

-- Joseph, Irvine CA, @palas_woodcraft on Instagram

View Notw's profile

Notw

#15 posted 09-11-2014 08:10 PM

I have had no problems with the Diablos on my inexpensive Skill ROS, and I use a shop vac for dust collection as well or just the dust filter on the sander. I expect a certain amount of dust to be common with the task, I have noticed however, that lining the holes up on my sander with the proper holes on the sandpaper is key to getting good dust collection.

Palaswood, where are you buying the Mirka Gold from if you don’t mind my asking and are you using the base Gold pads? I am always interested in trying new things for comparison.