Comfortable, Safe Dust Mask

Review by CharlesA posted 09-08-2014 01:14 AM 4084 views 5 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Comfortable, Safe Dust Mask Comfortable, Safe Dust Mask Comfortable, Safe Dust Mask Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m not that good at wearing the disposable dust masks that I have. I just don’t like them. So, I end up not wearing them all the time.

I was reading one of Bill Pentz's pieces on dust collection, and he emphasized how importance it was to wear a good dust mask and recommended this 3M 7500 series mask (7501 is small, 7502 is medium, 7503 is large—I use the medium). I assumed it was really expensive. Turns out that to buy the mask and a set of 3M 6001 Organic Vapor Cartridges was not much much more than my hated disposable masks, $33.93 delivered from Amazon. I’ll have to replace the cartridges periodically, but I can handle that.

I’m just wearing it during sanding so far. I don’t do much in the way of interesting chemicals.

I don’t know how to rate protection with it, but it is more comfortable, way more comfortable, than the disposable masks and, surprisingly, cooler. Not only is it, on paper, safer for me than the masks I was wearing, but I’m also more likely to wear it.

If you’ve been waiting to buy a good dusk mask, try this one.

EDIT: Added picture of 2097 filter instead of 6001, since the 2097 is the usual filter for woodworking.

#1 posted 09-08-2014 01:25 AM

I have this unit too (thanks to Marc Spagnoulo’s safety week video a few years back). I definitely agree with the 5 star rating and have found it to be very comfortable in use. Usually it’s outfitted with 2097 P100 filters, but when I last used my HVLP, even with the organic vapor cartridges and 2097 P100 filters, it’s quite comfortable to keep on for extended periods of time.

#2 posted 09-08-2014 01:27 AM

paxorion, why do you choose the 2097 filters?

View upinflames's profile

upinflames

217 posts in 2065 days

#3 posted 09-08-2014 11:08 AM

Okay, the 2097 filters are particulate filters, good for dust, if you spray you need the 6001 organic filters. I have had this unit for a couple of years, as you said it is comfortable and works very well. It usually comes with the 6001 filters. You can purchase particulate filters to snap on the 6001, P95 and and retainer 501, this together makes an outstanding unit.

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

222 posts in 2073 days

#4 posted 09-08-2014 01:42 PM

I am curious how you know what size to choose?

-- "Simplicity and repose are the qualities that measure the true value of any work of art." Frank LLoyd Wright

#5 posted 09-08-2014 01:44 PM

Given how other things fit me, I decided that I would try a medium, and it worked out.

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

222 posts in 2073 days

#6 posted 09-08-2014 01:47 PM

So if I take a large hat then I probably need a large face mask? Makes sense.

View longgone's profile

longgone

#7 posted 09-08-2014 02:53 PM

Has anyone used this face mask and also wore goggles? I wear a larger set of goggles that cover my glasses since they keep dust out of my eyes and off my glasses… and the last facemask I bought did not work well with these goggles…I had to end up using the 3M disposable masks. I also use the Trend Airshield but it is not always as convenient.

#8 posted 09-08-2014 03:11 PM

I thought of the sizing in this way: I figured that their three sizes need to cover all face sizes, male and female—they don’t have XS or XL. That means that medium should work for the majority of men, with the Small for smaller faces and the large for much larger faces. Since my face/head is pretty normal male sized, I went for medium.

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

#9 posted 09-08-2014 04:54 PM

Thanks for the review Charles.

I ended up getting a 6500 series mask myself. It’s the same design as the 7500, but with a level that allows you to drop the mask down with out having to take the elastic straps off.

I have a set of 2097 filters that I leave on it, and swap them out for 6001 if I’m spray painting or anything. A friend who does painting for a living (cars, bikes, etc) advised me to always store the filters in an air tight bag or container when not in use. I like switching between filters so I don’t feel like I’m “wasting” the more expensive organic filter when I’m only sanding.

Greg, it may get in the way of larger goggles, unless the mask I have is too big (I have a medium as well). I usually wear my 3M Virtua CCS safety glasses when I require use of the dust mask

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN - http://www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods - http://www.TheModsquito.com

#10 posted 09-08-2014 05:05 PM

Thanks, Mos.

On Amazon, the 6001 ($8.27) and 2097 filters ($7.15) are within $1 of each other. I think if I wore the mask more, that drop-down feature would be handy.

View BigMig's profile

BigMig

#11 posted 09-08-2014 05:35 PM

I am a strong believer in protecting my lungs…and this unit helps. I am one of the few who doesn’t like the fit – I think because the bridge of my nose (base of my nose just below my eyes) is high and even the Large presses my nose, so I onlyt wear it when necessary.

I think I need to go to a good Safety store to try on alternative units.

-- Mike from Lansdowne, PA

#12 posted 09-08-2014 05:53 PM

paxorion, why do you choose the 2097 filters?

- CharlesA

I have a pretty complete set (7500, 2097, 6001, and the retainer to use both). Most of the time i have the 7500 + 2097. When I spray i use the 7500 + 6001 + 2097

#13 posted 09-08-2014 06:00 PM

Getting straightforward info on this stuff isn’t the easiest. So, for just sanding use, does it matter that much which filter I use, 6001 or 2097?

#14 posted 09-08-2014 06:57 PM

Okay, so I probably should have known a bit more about this before reviewing it—at least the filters.

So, since Paxorian and Mosquito seem to know more about the filters, let me get this straight:
For standard woodworking use, that is dust, one should use a particulate filter, and the filter I was using, the 6001 should be used (or combined with particulate filter) when spraying finish, etc. Does that sound right?

#15 posted 09-08-2014 07:51 PM

- CharlesA

Yep, to re-state (since I like repeating things) the particulate filter (e.g. the 2097 for P100 rating) for standard woodworking (dust), and the 6001 organic vapor cartridge for finishing. An adapter would let you use the 2097 on top of the 6001