GOBSMACKED WITH DISBELIEF - Can this really be true?!!!

Review by Jerry posted 09-04-2014 01:47 AM 3271 views 0 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
GOBSMACKED WITH DISBELIEF - Can this really be true?!!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am so glad I took the precaution of calling Skil’s support department before I purchased this SANDER.

Not understanding how I would be able to replace the sandpaper on the detail accessories I called to ask.

I was ASTONISHED to be told that the sandpaper on the 8 detail accessories can NOT be replaced, rather you have to BUY A NEW SET OF DETAIL SANDERS EVERY TIME THE SANDPAPER ON THEM WEARS DOWN.

NOTE: I’ve edited this part of the original post because of new information coming to light. I’ve decided to go back and buy one of these and settle the question myself. It may turn out that the tech support department simply did not know what they were talking about.

Whatever the case, I will post the results of my findings with some really good pictures here.

-- I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#1 posted 09-04-2014 03:29 AM

Did you return it for a refund?
What good is it without new sandpaper?

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View Mike's profile

Mike

#2 posted 09-04-2014 03:51 AM

I just looked at what I believe is the product instruction manual. It says that it is hook and loop. You should be able to just pull it off the pad. It does say that you can use different attachments too. The section starts on page 8 (manual). I could be wrong though.

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

#3 posted 09-04-2014 04:05 AM

Just to clarify, I called Skil’s tech support department, and theytold me point blank that the accessories have to be replaced when the sandpaper is worn out on them. This does not refer to the main sanding pad, only the 8 contoured accessories, which was why I was considering buying it in the first place.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

494 posts in 1976 days

#4 posted 09-04-2014 11:47 AM

You can order just the replacement sandpaper from Amazon.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#5 posted 09-04-2014 12:28 PM

I wonder if you got an idiot on the phone at tech support.

This review shows the accessories with hook and loop sandpaper.

I don’t know if it’s a good sander, but a simple Google search would have been a better idea before you posted this. Maybe you should change the title to something like “Skill tech support guy is a moron” instead of warning everybody about a product you haven’t ever used. Just my opinion, nothing more.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#6 posted 09-04-2014 02:31 PM

A great example of how hiring minimum wage tech support can cost a company a sale.

The father of an old classmate of mine used to work as a product engineer for Skill and after years of service, was fired and lost his pension during one of the companies sales/bankruptcies. They purged the payroll of good people long ago.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#7 posted 09-04-2014 02:44 PM

Well, the support person double checked with the parts manager at Skil, I overheard the conversation. They both were very firm about the fact that the sandpaper was hard fixed to the accessories and could not be replaced. I argued with them that that did not make any sense at all, that no engineer would be stupid enough to make sander parts where the whole accessory needed to be replaced rather than just the sandpaper, but they insisted that was the case.

Respect, Stumpy, I’m a huge fan, and by the way, could you please tell me the name of the band that you use for your theme music, I really like it.

RE: ” This review shows the accessories with hook and loop sandpaper.” Well, to my eye, it does not clearly show hook and loop sandpaper, only accessories with loose sandpaper. You may very well be right, but it’s still not clear in the pictures how that is attached without the paper removed, at least I can’t see it, but,

RE: ” This site shows the accessories with the sandpaper removed. They’ve got the hook and loop backing.”

Y’know,.. You are right!! It does by all appearances seem to show that it’s hook and loop.

I did do what I thought was an exhaustive Google search and a thorough search on Skil’s website to find out the answer, I must not have used the right search parameters, because I didn’t get the results you did.

I guess the only way to settle this is for me to go out and buy one and find out for myself.

I will do that later on today, and I will post the results and some really closeup pictures here.

If it turns out I’m wrong, I’ll find some way to make this review reflect that.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#8 posted 09-04-2014 06:28 PM

Clearly we have a case of morons running the show. It’s probably just a call center which contracts with several companies, and they just look in some manual to give you answers. If anything, it says something about the customer service one might expect if he was to buy this sander!

The song at the beginning is a closely guarded secret! You are not the first to have asked :)

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

494 posts in 1976 days

#9 posted 09-04-2014 06:34 PM

Stumpy, it could have been a poorly-answered question. Or a poorly-asked question. Or a well-answered question that was misinterpreted.

It is not clear to me that this is a case of morons running the show.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

#10 posted 09-04-2014 06:52 PM

I can assure you that it was not a poorly asked question. I was crystal clear and repeated myself several times in a variety of ways.

View JayT's profile

JayT

#11 posted 09-04-2014 07:29 PM

The highly trained support people probably think that the hook side of velcro is actually the sandpaper.

-- "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835

#12 posted 09-05-2014 12:56 AM

Still don’t know why people “review” tools that they have never used or just opened the box and it’s worth 5 stars just because they bought it.
Perhaps we need a “Preview” section here where folks can post “he said she said” comments about things they might buy in the future or not at all but must express their “thoughts” about the tools anyway.

1 star on a tool that you haven’t even held in your hands is a pretty silly review , but, whatever.
Welcome to Lumberjocks “review” section where no product knowledge is required to post “reviews”.

#13 posted 09-05-2014 01:22 AM

Wow Dusty, pardon me for living.

It was my intention to share what I thought was relevant information with the community, and I reviewed this because of the issues stated, the abysmal response of the customer service department, and what appears to be a very bad design if what they told me is true, which is a lot more than you have accomplished today with your snide comments and attacks on my character.

For your information, you cannot post a review without hitting the star button, otherwise the website will not let you post. Had I had the option, I would have given it no stars.

As far as product knowledge goes, I spent 30 minutes examining the box’s information panels at Lowe’s, I spent 30 minutes on the phone with their tech support people, and then another hour at home researching it on the internet.

I’m sorry if that does not meet your criteria for product knowledge, but at this point I certainly know more about this product than you do.

View Iwud4u's profile

Iwud4u

#14 posted 09-05-2014 01:58 AM

Don’t sweat it Jerry. It’s easier for some people to try and knock you down than help you out.

I understood what you were trying to do regardless of the type of accessories.
If anything I would hope that, because of your post,
someone that has one might chime in so we could all find out first hand.

You did all you could do without actually buying one just to find out. I wouldn’t buy one just to see.

-- It's far better to be criticized by a wise person than applauded by a fool --

#15 posted 09-05-2014 02:29 AM

Thanks Iwud4u, I appreciate you reaching out and your understanding. I just really try to be a useful member of the community here.