Super Dust Deputy

Review by Tennwood posted 08-28-2014 02:12 AM 13684 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Super Dust Deputy Super Dust Deputy Super Dust Deputy Click the pictures to enlarge them

I modified my DC system for the ‘nth time, this time replacing my Woodcraft garbage can cyclone lid for the Super Dust Deputy. The trash can lid did fine but I was still getting a lot of dust and chips into the bag and filter. I really hate changing the bag and cleaning out the filter. It is a dirty messy job that kind of defeats the purpose when dust is going everywhere in the shop just to get the bag off, and to take the filter off to get it outside to clean. So I bit the cost and modified my system for the Dust Deputy (along with a major re-piping of my shop).

I reused the trash can by cutting a hole in the metal lid and reinforced it with MDF bolted and caulked to the underside. I also used weather stripping to help seal the around the lid. That was the easy part. Where I screwed up was not buying the reducers and connecting ducting parts from Oneida. Trying to save a nickel and spending a dime, I cobbled together metal ducting tube I bought from the box store. Nothing really fit quite right. An HVAC guy could have probably put it together in minutes without an issue. I ended up double sealing the connections with metal tape and duct tape. No leaks but probably loss of suction due to additional resistance at the connections.

The one issue I have with it and why I would rather give it 4.5 stars instead of 5 is the odd inlet size – five inches. Five inch tubing is expensive and finding the reducers to a four inch was difficult and hard to fit using the stuff from the box store. More tape. Why not go with a standard six inch or four inch inlet? Also note that the six inch outlet tubing going from the Dust Deputy to the DC is real expensive.

So far the dust collection has been great. I have almost no chips in the collection bag of the DC. A few hand plane shavings have escaped through, but at this rate it will take a long time before I have to empty the bag. The filter still collects dust but not near as much as before. I have no way of measuring loss of suction but I don’t seem to have a problem. It seems to have better suction than I had with the trash can cyclone lid. I have one run that is over 35 feet (yea, I know, you aren’t supposed to make runs that long) to my jointer and for sucking up chips around my hand tool bench, and it does fine. No clogs and I can hear the little chunks banging their way through the PVC pipe to the Dust Deputy and into the can. Which leads to my other praise, no chips or chunks going thought the fan blades of the DC.

As an additional note, I use four inch PVC and flexible tubing for the runs. Although the system has been modified several times since I wrote the blog noted below on how not to set up a DC system, you can see generally how my set up is (or was five years ago) – http://lumberjocks.com/Tennwood/blog/11405

Three or four more iterations and I may get it right.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#1 posted 08-28-2014 02:36 AM

I have the same setup! You don’t mention which collector you have, but mine is a HF. I used 3/4” MDF and routed a grove in it and is sitting on a 33gal trash can. Seals up pretty good. Then I got some furnace fittings and used the crimper to reduce the fittings to the tube size. Used foil furnace tape to seal eeverything up. works ok, but with the HF blower, I notice the reduction on suction. I also have a Wynn air filter instead of the filter bag. Very little dust goes in the bag. Everything goes in the can. I only use one machine at a time and just use one 4” flex hose and hook it up to each machine when in use.
The only thing I wish I had was a little more air flow, but with the smaller impeller that’s not going to happen.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View ducky911's profile

ducky911

#2 posted 08-29-2014 03:13 PM

I noticed that there is a super dust deputy XL that has 6” ports. I have wondered about the difference in lose of suction from the dust deputy vs trash can lid vs thien baffle. Wish someone would post up the numbers. I build a thien seperator and lost 40%(others have posted similair numbers) of my suction on a 2hp 220 DC . That made a ok CFM to a not so good CFM. I have since upgraded to a clear vue.

Bob

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

1702 posts in 2017 days

#3 posted 09-10-2014 03:49 PM

I’m curious how people are measuring “loss of suction”. There is no difference in flow loss between the open bottom trash can lid and the Thien design, since the only difference is the baffle with the Thien. The airflow path is the same. Any type of cyclonic separator is going to create resistance to flow and corresponding pressure drop.

I find my Thien copy, mounted on a 39 gal metal trash can, works extremely well for all but very fine dust. If I let it get too full more chips will get past. I use a shop vac with electric hand sanders to capture the fine dust.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#4 posted 09-10-2014 04:10 PM

I’m not going to spend a great amount of time testing these things, so I’m interested in the experience of other people.

I made a very simple separator basically a box with the in and out connected to it and a barrier in the middle that sits on the barrel (no cyclonic motion), and it seems to work fine, but it looks like it allows more dust through than I would have thought. Would a Thien or Super Dust Deputy, with the cyclonic motion, be more efficient with CFMs and separate out more dust?

View twotenths's profile

twotenths

#5 posted 03-16-2016 11:24 AM

Thank you for sharing this.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2039 posts in 2972 days

#6 posted 07-30-2017 07:24 PM

One of the most critical things people need to remember is efficiency.

My first Dust Deputy replaced a water filter system I built, which worked well but made a huge mess. I started with a 16 gallon vac with a lot of grab power and ran it on my Paint Shaver Pro, which could rip the paint off a square foot of siding in about a half minute.

I had to run a pre-filter or the filter would clog in just a couple minutes. The water filter worked great, but foamed like a box of tide in a washer, and was a muddy mess to clean.

After taking the plunge and going for the metal Dust Deputy, I could get about twenty minutes of run time. Because pull stayed up longer, I was able to drop to a small Ridged “5 hp” vac (about 5 gal), since it worked fine because the filter didn’t clog quickly.

We’d do well to keep in mind the fact the filters stay clean longer, when considering the collection efficiency of these set ups. More so since I don’t remember any of the tests continuing long enough for the filter to clog and efficiency to drop with systems lacking the pre-filter.