Horizontal Boring Machine

Review by rad457 posted 08-25-2014 10:44 PM 2988 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Horizontal Boring Machine No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Assembled my G0540 Single Spindle Horizontal Boring Machine and thought I would post some of my observations and opinions. Machine was packed well and pretty easy to remove from crate, assembly was very easy and instruction were there and quite clear if needed! The washers were the wrong size not a big problem.
I found that for my purposes the table should raise higher so will have elevate it in the future when I find the time.
The X -Y feature works very well with the exception that the table casting has a small chip were the travel stop hits, will have to repair this or figure out a better travel stop system. This is not a huge concern for me as I tend to like freehand mortise joints anyways. The table travels is very smooth and has enough travel for any joints I intend to make. The electric motor is not of the greatest quality and there is probably about 3 to 5 thou. run out on the spindle. Guess you get what you pay for.
Overall would I still buy this Machine ? Yes. having being spoiled by big heavy duty (loud) Monsters, this quiet simple little hobby class machine should work for me. IMHO.

PS. I tested it using a 5/8” four fluted end mill bit and a scrap piece of pine, had no problems at all. Will try it out on some Ash tomorrow with a two flute 3/8 bit.

-- Andre of Alberta. Are you Kidding me?

View rad457's profile

rad457

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#1 posted 09-03-2014 09:06 PM

I’m not thinking of buying boring machine at this point. But nice review.

View JHAstrello's profile

JHAstrello

#2 posted 09-26-2014 07:22 PM

Have been searching high and low for a machine such as this. I don’t need (or want) the bigger heavier machines, and finding something ‘like’ this has been difficult. I ordered mine today, so it will be a week to 10 days at least before it arrives.

Thanks for the review/comments on both of your posts regarding this machine.

-- John in E. Texas