Cheap, flexible, and accurate enough

Review by jshroyer posted 08-21-2014 06:47 PM 2684 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cheap, flexible, and accurate enough No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I always loose tape measures. I buy another and work really hard to keep it in the same place then loose it. I dont know how its possible all the time. So i decided to go to harbor freight and buy a few of these then buy 1 good one and keep it in a special location (pain in the butt).

I just use these for rough cutting and measuring stock. i dont use this if its under 1”. I work as an engineer as we use metric at work. I love having this thing at work. No one will ever steal it because its not that nice. It has metric which is great for measuring large objects and i have my calipers to get to the fine detail. Its also very nice to be flexible for the reason that i can measure cable really easily. Also makes it easy to measure something is a tight location by pulling out a bunch then measuring with what you can hold.

Other item i like to use this for is fabric measuring. I have made some boxes to store items and i put felt or fabric in them. This makes it super easy to do everything with them.

i would recommend you buy a bunch then stash them all over the place like a squirrel with nuts. I like to keep them in my car so that way i can measure something in a pinch.

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

View Richard's profile

Richard

#1 posted 08-21-2014 07:43 PM

Tape measures in the shop are like socks in the Dryer . Where they go nobody knows. I am like you now I have one good one and about 6 cheap ones.

View BigMig's profile

BigMig

#2 posted 08-22-2014 03:26 PM

thanks for the review, j. Seems like it’d be good to have in the car when antique shopping, home center visits, like the “rough order of magnitude” measurements. Carabiner is a nice change up from belt mount.

-- Mike from Lansdowne, PA

View OldWrangler's profile

OldWrangler

#3 posted 08-23-2014 04:19 AM

Maybe the socks and the tape measures have a secret burial place like the Elephants graveyard. I lose about 4-5 tapes every year. And they never resurface ever again.

I bought 2 of these tapes last time at HF but trying to use them is a chore. The markings are so small, even with reading glasses I have a lot of trouble and then on top of that, they put the metric scale with the inch scale and it is all jumbled together. The idea is great with the carabiner lock on the end but I wish it was at least a 1/2” or 3/4” tape so the print could be read by us folks with old worn-out eyes.

-- I am going to go stand outside so if anyone asks about me, tell them I'M OUTSTANDING!

View Richard's profile

Richard

#4 posted 08-25-2014 06:23 PM

- OldWrangler

Now I know you can’t be talking about my eyes, I only have two sets of glasses to make them work right. :)

View donaldpmoran's profile

donaldpmoran

#5 posted 09-10-2014 04:57 PM

Somehow with how many tape measures I have lost over the years, I do not think I have ever bought a tape measure. They have either been given to me or, for cheap ones, HF free coupon.

-- Imperfections make it unique!