Acrylic Finish

Review by Roger posted 08-20-2014 11:24 PM 2698 views 3 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Acrylic Finish Acrylic Finish No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just my quick 2-cents on this Dr. Kirks Micro Magic 3-pack of wax finish. Very simple, after dry sanding up to 600 on any acrylic pen, or any other acrylic/plastic blank turned on a lathe, a little dab of this Red/White/Blue, in that order, (easy to remember), takes the place of the wet-sanding, and plastic polish I used to do to finish any acrylic blank on the lathe. Very simple, very affordable. I do want to thank a fellow LJ, James, http://lumberjocks.com/Thewoodman2000 for recommending this product. I’m gonna recommend it to anyone who would like to try it. You can get it here: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/40/6059/Dr.-Kirk%27s-Micro-Magic-Polishing-Wax-3-Piece-Set?term=micro%20magic. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars was I do think the wet-sanding gives just a little higher gloss finish then this does. Again, just my 2-cents. :) OH, and p.s. I only did this one pen so far… lol. I’ve been really busy

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Roger's profile

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#1 posted 08-21-2014 12:20 AM

Thanks for a nice review. It’s alwalys good to learn about alternate products. Also, glad you’re busy.

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 08-21-2014 12:27 AM

Thanks for the review, Roger. I’ll have to try this stuff.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#3 posted 08-21-2014 01:08 AM

Thanks Roger, I’ve been wanting to get some information on these finishes. This is very helpful.

-- I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#4 posted 08-21-2014 04:13 AM

Good to know Roger. Will keep this in mind.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View stefang's profile

stefang

13633 posts in 2089 days

#5 posted 08-21-2014 09:14 AM

So can you then wet sand to 600 and then use the wax polish? Your result looks great Roger.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Thewoodman2000's profile

Thewoodman2000

#6 posted 08-21-2014 12:34 PM

Roger,
Great review! You nailed it!
I do agree with you on the 4 star review but I have continued to work on getting it closer to the full 12,000 grit polish.
One thing I have been doing different (since we last talked) is using this sanding pad after sanding through 600 grit. I do a wet sand with this 1,500 grit and this step helps get it real close to perfect. I now would give this product/process 4.5+ stars.
I know you are all probably asking why bother using this if you have to wet sand 1 step anyway. For me it does take out (set sanding steps) 9 steps in the process. I now longer wet sand with 1800, 2400, 3200, 3500, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit pads + the final polish I would do at the end.

Here is a Plus these little containers of stuff last a real long time. A little bit does go along way!

Sorry Roger not trying to take over you thread.

-- (the only thing in there she says is....tap on head..........tap..........tap..... saw dust) - James www.etsy.com/shop/ZionsWoodnCrafts

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19717 posts in 2605 days

#7 posted 08-23-2014 09:45 PM

Thanks roger. Must give it a go.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Roger's profile

#8 posted 08-24-2014 06:20 PM

Thnx everyone. All appreciated. James: Thnx for the extra info. It’s always helpful. :)

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Dave's profile

Dave

#9 posted 08-25-2014 12:15 PM

Kewl review and keep em coming LHCB

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com