Amazing clean cuts, even on home center plywood crosscuts w/o a ZCI

Review by paxorion posted 08-19-2014 07:27 PM 2972 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Amazing clean cuts, even on home center plywood crosscuts w/o a ZCI No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m a firm believer that tool ratings should come with caveats and comparison. I have been using the (new-ish) Irwin Marples 40T general purpose blade in my Dewalt DWE7491 table saw for a few months now and can confidently say that it is an incredible value (dollar to performance ratio). It won’t go outshining premium blades, and my only premium blade comparison is a full kerf Freud Premier Fusion, which performed better (rips faster, and easier to get clean crosscuts). Key highlights of my experience are below.

Rip Cuts – I don’t slam dense hardwoods through this saw much but I can happily report that I had no trouble ripping 4/4 white oak, leaving very smooth finish. It also cut more efficiently than the other blade I have used in the saw (a Freud Diablo 50T combination). I did had to slow down my feed rate when I was ripping some 1.5” Hem Fir boards that I got from Lowes, which might I add pinched on the riving knife as the rip was being completed (and this is why I am a big proponent of a splitter/riving knife)

Crosscuts – The story gets more complicated with crosscuts. Any general purpose or combination blade is a trade-off for rip and cross-cut performance. Given the right conditions (I set the blade height for a single tooth above the wood and moved VERY slowly through the saw), I have been able to repeatedly get clean (no perceivable tear-out) crosscuts with this saw and blade, even on big box store plywood (Home Depot Columbia forest products C-3 birch plywood) and without a ZCI. It does take more intentional (be patient in feeding the work through) effort to get a clean cut (what do you expect for the price and type of saw blade).

Out of curiousity, I slapped the saw into a Delta Unisaw to compare it’s performance to a Freud Premier Fusion (FK) and noticed a minor difference in the rip cut feed rate I could get away with. Not a deal-breaker but it could impact your flow if you had to run a lot of material through. I was also able to crosscut cleanly with less effort. Not to say that you can’t get a clean cut with the Irwin Marples, but it does require more effort to pull it off. So will this saw perform better (under heavy use) than a premium blade? No. But with a little more intentionality in cuts and for the money, I think this saw blade will do just fine as a mainstay on my Dewalt.

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

#1 posted 08-20-2014 12:55 AM

About two years ago I was sent a 12 inch marples 40 to try out. I will never be looking for another blade in a 12 inch. Best all around performance including longevity that I have ever experienced.

The only others I use now are a 14 inch of another maker but would grab the marples if they put one on the market.
JB

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#2 posted 08-20-2014 04:17 AM

I’ve been thinking about these Irwin Marples blades. I just wish they made a thinner series.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#3 posted 08-20-2014 02:45 PM

I ve been thinking about these Irwin Marples blades. I just wish they made a thinner series.

- Routerisstillmyname

This are thin kerf blades, with a kerf around 3/32” (~0.094”). It is the right size for most thin kerf splitters/riving knives.

-- paxorion

View oldretiredjim's profile

oldretiredjim

#4 posted 08-20-2014 03:44 PM

I switched to the Marples rip and crosscut blades a year ago. Really like the rip blade – I use it the most. Last week I ripped a redwood 4 X 4 (HD junk) and got 4 very clean and parallel sides. A little sanding and I had a 2.5 X 2.5 mug stand for my wife’s pottery show.

#5 posted 08-20-2014 04:53 PM

I switched from Freud blades when they came out and I never looked back, they are thin kerf.

View JudsonTN's profile

JudsonTN

#6 posted 08-20-2014 08:54 PM

I agree with the comments above. I never pull my Freud glue line rip blade off the wall anymore since I tried the Marples line. I love them. I have not sent mine out to be sharpened yet and is lasting a lot longer that I would have thought.

-- “The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” Teddy Roosevelt

View mwilhelm's profile

mwilhelm

#7 posted 08-20-2014 10:30 PM

I got a 50T Marples 10 inch blade a few months ago. I rip a fair amount of 8/4 in many different woods including walnut, hard and soft maple, mesquite and purple heart. I have to say that this blade works much better than the other blades I have used, although I have never used a super high quality blade. When cutting the very hard woods (8/4 mesquite and purple heart) I just have to feed much slower. The cut quality is still great.

#8 posted 08-23-2014 04:35 AM

Sounds like it is a very good blade for what little I do

-- Norman

View Schummie's profile

Schummie

#9 posted 08-23-2014 10:25 AM

Great review, Paxorion. thank you for your time.
I think this would be a great saw blade for me.
But the problem is always, do they sell this blade also in Europe and if they
sell something like this in Europe, than it cost three time the price !!

I have sometimes the idea that we live in Europe in a Third World country
concerning woodworking tools, in comparison with you guys in the US.
If you see that Freud is from Italy, but the saw blades which they sell
in the US there not available in Europe or I search at the wrong places.
I try already for months to get information from Freud in Europe for a saw blade but I get no response.
I think that Europe is not interesting concerning woodworking or we lie perhaps under a boycott ;-)
It’s time we get a Woodcraft, Grizzly or a Rockler in Europe.

Keep dreaming, Henrie

-- Greetings from the Netherlands.

#10 posted 08-25-2014 02:18 AM

I ran into a deal at Lowes today. I think their computers are out of sync. I picked one of these up (10”) and at the register it rang up for $21.98, I asked the lady to ring me up for another one and I would go pick it up from the shelf. She did so. I looked again at the sticker above the blade and it clearly said $34.98. I went back by her register to give to her, she put in the bag and left the store. I looked at my receipt in the truck and it shows I paid for 2 Irwin Marathon blades.

-- Norman

View roofner's profile

roofner

#11 posted 08-25-2014 02:17 PM

I have 1 in my table saw and 1 in my radial armsaw . I buy mine at Lowes $38 really are good blades for the price,

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

#12 posted 08-25-2014 04:18 PM

I’ve read some good things about these blades. Glad to see you like to use it.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View who8it's profile

who8it

#13 posted 09-16-2014 05:39 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the review.