After Market Table Saw Splitter, Shark Guard

Review by woodshopmike posted 08-15-2014 06:29 PM 3576 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
After Market Table Saw Splitter, Shark Guard No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Worried about kickback on your table saw? Who isn’t really?

Most if not all modern saws arrive with either a splitter or riving knife that prevents wood from pinching the back side of a table saw blade as the stock is run through the saw. This little piece of material pays dividends in preventing kickback.

So if most saws come with such a device already installed, why write a review about an after market product? Because if you’re like me, you use vintage machinery. In my case, a Tannewitz FDS that was made in the 20’s, before such folly was considered, or the original splitter on your slightly newer 40’s model Walker Turner 1180b was lost. Now that we’re all on the same page, let me clue you in on a superb product!

Shark Guard is the creator of the high quality splitters I use on my Walker Turner 1180b. These items install easily and come in a variety of sizes so that you can use a splitter that most closely matches the stock that is being cut.

Follow the link to read about this products installation, and updates in the remainder of my review

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#1 posted 08-15-2014 11:11 PM

Have had the 4” version for a few years on my SawStop. It works great, and the overhead dust collection is top notch.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

#2 posted 08-16-2014 04:20 AM

That was very painless, great review and need product

-- Norman

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#3 posted 08-16-2014 10:38 AM

+1 for Lee and his products. I have the .105 kerf set as well as the overhead guard with dust collection. I agree with everyone else, its an outstanding investment in safety for my 30 year old unisaw and its nice to have such a great above the table dust collection solution. Last I heard, Lee was running a 3-4 month backorder on the sharkguard, though he was able to ship me out the splitters much sooner. Go ahead and get in line, you wont have buyers remorse later!

Scott

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

#4 posted 08-16-2014 08:14 PM

I heard the same thing about his lead time and I’ll be the first to say that you won’t regret buying the splitters!.

I didn’t buy the blade guard/dust collection accessory as I’ve never enjoyed them. I can not speak to the performance etc. of his overhead dust collection product.

Manitario,

I really enjoyed using the Saw Stop while a shop assistant at App State. Honestly, I’ve never had much trouble with dust flying back at me when using a shop made zero clearance throat plate. I also love the riving knife that is on the Saw Stop! Not to take anything away from Lee, but I never felt like the Saw Stop needed improvement. Each to his own though! Thanks for replying, all that matters is that you’ve found a good solution to your needs in the shop!

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

#5 posted 08-18-2014 03:01 PM

I’ve had a SharkGuard on my TS for 4 years or so, and I absolutely love it. My TS came with a rving knife, blade guard, and anti-kickback pawls, but no dust collection. I got the Shark for the DC, but stayed for the awesomeness of the rest of it. It is a big improvement over all the things the stock parts did, and the DC is great. I’m one of those people who like to work safely, and use the guard every time unless a cut just won’t work otherwise. The Shark Guard was easy to install, and is easy to put on or take off as needed. I can’t recommend it more – great product.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com

View mikec1217's profile

mikec1217

#6 posted 08-18-2014 03:18 PM

Douglas,

Thanks for adding your experience! Each woodworker is responsible for his or her own safety and I certainly am not belittling (don’t think I was, but just want to be super clear) anyone who uses extra guards or devices to make there work as safe as possible. We aren’t starfish after all, digits don’t just grow back!

BTW, nice site! I like that you stopped to take photos of the door in your neighborhood. I couldn’t agree more how much little details add to the appear of an object!

Regards,