Can't believe how smoothly this jigsaw cuts

Review by CharlesA posted 08-15-2014 01:52 AM 3408 views 1 time favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Can't believe how smoothly this jigsaw cuts Can't believe how smoothly this jigsaw cuts No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For years I had a Skil jigsaw, a hack tool if there ever was one. I got in the habit of always cutting well outside the line and then sanding down to the line because of the roughness of the cut, no matter the blade or cutting mode on that machine.

I found this Bosch on the CPO website for about $95 18 months ago. The first thing I noticed was how big and hefty it was compared to the Skil I think that helps stabilize it on cuts.

I’ve mainly used it for rough work. Yesterday I needed to put a slight curve on the two side ends of a long board. After drawing the line, I stayed well outside it to sand up to the line afterward. I was stunned, stunned to see the surface of the cut when I had finished—almost had a planed finish. This was a small cut, so I had a little line where I entered the cut, but after seeing the surface, I realized I could cut closer to the line.

If there are better jig saws out there, I’d love to see how they’re better. I’m sold.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#1 posted 08-15-2014 04:35 AM

Good review and the resulting cuts are nice to have.

A used a Bosch blade on my jig saw and was stoked at
the results.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#2 posted 08-15-2014 01:22 PM

I agree. I have one of their jigsaws. With the right blade and setting it can be smooth and with another blade and setting it can be very aggressive. Mine has a little adjustment on the side. On one setting the blade just moves up and down. on other settings the blade rotates into the cut so the blade lunges forward for every down stroke. You can cut through a piece of plywood you’re rough cutting pretty much as fast as you can push the saw.

#3 posted 08-15-2014 02:32 PM

Yes, this one has multiple settings from quick to smooth cut. My Skil had a two-option setting, but I couldn’t tell that much difference. Bosch is a big step up.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#4 posted 08-15-2014 03:03 PM

My dad wanted a jigsaw so I bought this for him for his birthday; he loves it. It’s amazing what a difference good tools make!

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Julian's profile

Julian

#5 posted 08-15-2014 03:21 PM

I have the same jigsaw. Previously I had a Black & Decker jigsaw which cut rough and vibrated a lot. Bosch makes good quality tools in my opinion.

-- Julian

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#6 posted 08-15-2014 04:02 PM

Remember, Bosch invented the jig saw in 1947 in Switzerland. The others are just cheap knock-offs. I have a Bosch jog saw I bought in 1990 and it still works very well.

Their blades have individually ground teeth as opposed to the much cheaper stamped blades everyone else uses.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

2979 posts in 1990 days

#7 posted 08-15-2014 04:11 PM

I’ve used Bosch jigsaws for the past 30 years and see no reason to ever use any other brand. My first jigsaw was a “scroller” by Crapsman. It broke soon after buying it.

View Billy E's profile

Billy E

#8 posted 08-15-2014 06:23 PM

I have a Bosch jig saw and, aside from one issue, it is a great saw. That one issue is blade changeout. I don’t think the model you are describing is like this, but mine uses a crank on top of the handle to tighten or release the blade. It’s a horrible design. Anyone reading this—check the issue of blade change before you buy a Bosch jig saw. Some are really easy and some are a pain.

-- Billy, Florence SC

#9 posted 08-15-2014 06:42 PM

This one has easy tool-less blade change.

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

#10 posted 08-15-2014 07:01 PM

Over the last 30 years I’ve had two Bosch Jig saws! I wouldn’t have any other!

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "finished"!

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#11 posted 08-15-2014 07:01 PM

I have an older Bosch jigsaw from before tool-less blade changes but it’s a great saw, much better than any other I’ve used.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#12 posted 08-15-2014 07:17 PM

Is it like a rainbow in the dark?

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#13 posted 08-15-2014 09:09 PM

Add a zero clearance and it gets ever better.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View exelectrician's profile (online now)

exelectrician

#14 posted 08-16-2014 03:35 AM

I totally agree.. I also went from a Skilsaw to the Bosch and was I blown away. I simply could not believe how easily I went from a bucking bronco to a silky smooth swiss sewing machine with only one trip to the store.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View Dutchmn's profile

Dutchmn

#15 posted 08-16-2014 08:30 PM

Thank you for the review, I went out and bought one of these today on sale at Menards +the 11* rebate it came to $115 and wow what a difference a good saw makes , I always thought my bad cuts were me not being able to use a jigsaw and now I know it was the saw.