Ryobi 18-Volt One+ Lithium-Ion- Drill Driver and Circular Saw Kit +charger

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 08-14-2014 12:54 AM 2805 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ryobi 18-Volt One+ Lithium-Ion- Drill Driver and Circular Saw Kit +charger No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since home depot doesn’t like publishing a negative reviews that points out the obvious, I might as well review it here.
So what we have here is a definite value. Drill with clutch, 5 1/2 inch saw not one but two entry level +1 lithium ion 18v batteries and a charger and all for just 79.00
You can’t beat that.
Batteries (although entry level) and charger alone cost more than that individually. The drill is nice with 24 position clutch setting and runs true no wobble like the yellow D drills.
And enough power to get the job done.
Now the saw is a different story. it includes one 24 tooth ripping blade It has enough power for 2×4 BUT ……Obviously people buying this and giving it 4-5 stars have no clue what to expect from a circular saw.
Or I’m way too picky.
Before you use any circular saw, you have to check the saw for saw blade to base for 90-degree accuracy. If the blade can not be adjusted perpendicular to the base 100% then there’s no point !!!. This saw is so off it’s not even usable in my book.
And don’t bother with that screw adjustment. It will not work since there’s a protrusion under the back as part of angle adjustment screw that prevents the saw to sit flat. Ryobi designers must have been off to lunch to have missed that one. you have to grind it down to get few more degree accuracy out of this.
I also checked it for distance of blade to edge. Again it’s off but not by much in this case.
acceptable in my picky book. still that means blade will be fighting the cut.
Conclusion, even at a sale price to me this is not acceptable. If buyers keep giving these companies 4-5 stars rating without checking these types of tools for accuracy they will keep making this kind of toys.
On the other hand, if you don’t plan on using the saw for any kind of semi precession cuts then, as I said the batteries and charger alone are worth it and the drill is a bonus. These batteries and chargers can also be used with number of other Ryobi tools. I took mine back.

View DW833's profile

DW833

#1 posted 08-14-2014 01:54 AM

I have a similar set that I purchased last year. Drill, impact driver and saw. I agree on the saw. It isn’t very good. Trying to rip a plywood sheet is close to useless. Start with a fully charged battery. I find that the saw drains the battery really quickly.

I have no problem with the impact driver. But the drill could be better. Tighten the chuck well before using.

View firefighterontheside's profile

firefighterontheside

#2 posted 08-14-2014 02:15 AM

I just got the drill driver and impact driver set with two batteries and charger. Haven’t used it yet, but from this I’m hopeful that the set will be good for me.

-- Bill M. I love my job as a firefighter, but nothing gives me the satisfaction of running my hand over a project that I have built and just finished sanding.

#3 posted 08-14-2014 02:27 AM

The saw is a total disappointment but I guess if you need it to trim the fence or something then it’s a deal.

The two driver set seems like a good deal if you need the impact driver. I saw a guy using it on you-tube and it seems to handle lug nuts with no problem.

I would go for the new airless Brad Nailer but then you have to buy the battery separate and the heavy duty battery the P108 is about 100.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#4 posted 08-14-2014 01:58 PM

Interesting review. I can’t imagine a cordless circular saw included in a $79 multiple tool kit to be adequate for precision cutting.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#5 posted 08-14-2014 02:02 PM

The saw isn’t meant for precision. It’s for rough cuts.

-- "We build our workshops. Then we enjoy the fruits of our labor by laboring for more fruits." - Me

#6 posted 08-14-2014 02:37 PM

Well,rough cuts or not, you should be able to adjust the blade so it is 90 degree to fence. the adjustment screw is useless since the bump or protrusion in the back prevents the saw base to sit any closer to the body and achieve 90 degree adjustment.I’m not expecting festool quality precision here but this is unacceptable to me.
I own few harbor feight tools and I realize you get what you pay for but this is brand name. others don’t care and look at the overall value which is tempting if you are going to purchase any other battery operated Ryobi tools.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View paxorion's profile (online now)

paxorion

#7 posted 08-14-2014 03:07 PM

The Ryobi 18+ line are marketed mainly for the home DIYer. I have an older generation Ryobi 18+ cordless circular saw, and it has been great for what it’s for, rough carpentry and not fine woodworking. I’m also very disillusioned by lower price circular saws (anything with a stamped base), so I don’t expect them to deliver the accuracy needed for woodworking.

My 2cents, the Ryobi cordless saw can serve as a secondary portable circular saw, not as a primary saw.

-- paxorion

View Mark Davisson's profile (online now)

Mark Davisson

501 posts in 2007 days

#8 posted 08-14-2014 03:22 PM

I agree with the reviewer – at $79 the purchase represents definite value.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View mpounders's profile

mpounders

#9 posted 08-14-2014 04:04 PM

I bought it just for the batteries and charger, as a replacement for my older one that didn’t have the lion batteries. Have not even tried the new saw; the old one was useless, so I figured this one was also.

-- Mike P., Arkansas, http://mikepounders.weebly.com

View moke's profile

moke

#10 posted 08-14-2014 05:18 PM

Are any cordless saws good? I’ve used the black/gold and not been impressed with it either…..what about Milwaukee? or Bosch? Ryobi has some awesome corless tools and then they have some Klinkers too….
Mike

#11 posted 08-14-2014 07:30 PM

The only battery operated tool I have is a 15 dollar Harbor Freight clutch drill I use for kreg screw jobs. and the batteries are only 12.99 if i had to get one. And the only reason I got that was that the only corded clutch drill is made by Ryobi and it was about 40 which i didn’t want to spend since i already have two other corded drills.
I think prices of batteries are outrageous. a good battery like P108 costs around 100.
So I can see why this 79 dollar package is a major attraction for those with battery operated Ryobi tools.

View stefang's profile

stefang

13299 posts in 2024 days

#12 posted 08-14-2014 08:18 PM

You usually get what you pay for. I have always been disappointed by cheap power tools. It’s amazing what a good handsaw can do while you are saving money for a decent tool.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#13 posted 08-15-2014 03:38 AM

While I do agree that the circular saw is pretty weak I am a pretty big Ryobi One+ fan. I have several of their drills, vacuums, caulking gun, sawzall, jigsaw, impact driver, flashlight, 4.5” grinder, chainsaw & probably several other’s I’m forgetting. The price on the batteries does suck, but no worse than any other lithium ion batteries. If you look at rebuilding them (they use a dozen or so commodity cells internally) the price is in the same ballpark to rebuild as buy new.

I don’t expect the performance of a dewalt out of them, but they are well under half the price. The circular saw is handy when I need to do a quick hack job & am not near an outlet.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#14 posted 08-15-2014 03:49 AM

The older Milwaukee I used way awhile back was a pretty solid saw. Never checked it for accuracy though.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#15 posted 08-15-2014 11:33 AM

I have the older “blue” version and like Fallon said, use it as quick cut off saw. Never thought it would be precise or accurate or have a nice cut. I just use it to cut something off, and to that end, it’s always worked fine. I swap the batteries back and forth between my older “blue” tools and the two new drills I bought. Can’t say enough about the batteries. And, if you do need a new battery, just buy a new tool with one or two included.

-- Scott, Irmo SC