SketchUp Guide for Woodworkers

Review by Grumpymike posted 08-11-2014 08:49 PM 3139 views 5 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SketchUp Guide for Woodworkers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

SketchUp Guide for Woodworkers DVD (The Basics)

Dave Richards, the narrator of this DVD, is an authorized SketchUp trainer and he draws plans for Fine Woodworking Magazine.

A very talented man indeed; however, in his vast knowledge and computer skills he has forgotten that a huge percentage of his audience is in the well over 50 category that grew up with slide rules and mechanical adding machines long before the computer age.

In Dave’s fast paced narration, he does not annunciate his words clearly and makes it quite difficult for people like me with a bit of hearing impairment to understand what he is trying to say. We have not found any closed captions on this DVD which would be a great and usable option.

I have had other (younger) people in the room to help me “translate” what he is saying, but they too could not understand him (so it’s not all me). I have used headsets and speakers in an attempt to clarify his words to no avail.

If you are considering this new tool for your workshop, think twice, because like mine it may become just another unused $20 tool in the shop gathering dust.

I would really like to learn and use SketchUp, But Dave Richards is not the instructor with the correct communication skills for me.

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

#1 posted 08-11-2014 08:58 PM

Hey Grumpymike – I live in Phoenix and may be able to help you out. I love Sketchup. The pull-down Help menu with the Knowledge Center is good as well as Youtube. Type in Sketchup in the search on Youtube and you get all sorts of things. Add more to your search criteria and it will help narrow down what you might be looking for.

Good luck.

-- "Simplicity and repose are the qualities that measure the true value of any work of art." Frank LLoyd Wright

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

#2 posted 08-11-2014 08:59 PM

Thanks for the tip. I need to document more of my work. But I don’t need another pain to overcome.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View jeffbranch's profile

jeffbranch

#3 posted 08-11-2014 10:53 PM

Grumpy, sorry you did not like Dave’s DVD. I think it is fantastic. Seriously. I did a review of the same DVD here:

I honestly think the best part of the DVD is that if you don’t understand a step, you can play it over and try again. And, I think DVD (or video) is the best way to learn SketchUp. If there is something I can help you with, please shoot me a message and I’ll do my best.

Best regards,

Jeff

-- http://jeffbranch.wordpress.com

View Iwud4u's profile (online now)

Iwud4u

#4 posted 08-12-2014 12:16 AM

Dave is very smart and one of the best SU users there is.
Dave got me started right here on LJ’s
He has given away more of his time for free to help people than anybody I have known.
When I was learning SU he hooked me up on Skype just to show me how to do a few things.
I have nothing but the utmost respect for Dave and his knowledge for the program.

If your not happy with the DVD, you should let Dave know.

-- It's far better to be criticized by a wise person than applauded by a fool --

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#5 posted 08-12-2014 02:03 AM

This is the source I used to learn SU: http://readwatchdo.com/2013/03/woodworkers-guide-to-sketchup-download/

It worked well for me and I go back to review it because I don’t use it enough to be proficient. I’m older and also grew up in the pre-computer era with slide rules and adding machines where each problem in Calculus took an hour of long math to solve.

View john111's profile

john111

#6 posted 08-12-2014 12:09 PM

I got this DVD myself and thought it was ok. I didn’t have issues understanding him maybe yours was messed up somehow. Personally I like You Tube better because it can be on my screen and I tab back and forth. Works better for me that way than the dvd on my computer but really is the same thing. Good luck with this because SU is a really useful and powerful shop addition. I use it for almost everything I build now and I still have a lot to learn. I have checked out Dave’s website and read watch do and both a great resources as well as you tube.

-- john111

#7 posted 08-12-2014 08:55 PM

Danoaz Thanks for the tips on YouTube, I did find some stuff that helps; I will continue watching.

Jeffbranch Oh yes I did ‘rewind’ many times, as I said I don’t hear very well so I’gotta say what a lot.

Iwud4u I agree that Dave is a smart guy as I stated very clearly in my post. My statement is that he talks so fast and not very clearly that even my 22 year old grand daughter could understand what he is saying. I’m glad that he was such a great help to you, but that don’t help me a bit.

HillbillyShooter I took a quick peek at the link you sent, I think this might be a big help … I’ll let you know after I work with it a bit … Thanks.

john111 You could be right that there is something wrong with the DVD sound, I hadn’t really thought of that, I do hope to learn SU because like you said it’s a powerful tool … Lots to learn? Do we ever know it all??

Thanks for all the comments both positive and negative. I want to thank you for the additional tips where to find more tutorials, we are all learning aren’t we?

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Iwud4u's profile (online now)

Iwud4u

#8 posted 08-12-2014 09:14 PM

Iwud4u I agree that Dave is a smart guy as I stated very clearly in my post. My statement is that he talks so fast and not very clearly that even my 22 year old grand daughter could understand what he is saying. I m glad that he was such a great help to you, but that don t help me a bit.

Thanks for all the comments both positive and negative. I want to thank you for the additional tips where to find more tutorials, we are all learning aren t we?

- Grumpymike

Mike, I wasn’t commenting to be negative, was just sharing my experience with Dave.
(I’ve never looked at his DVD)

View Richard's profile

Richard

#9 posted 08-12-2014 09:16 PM

Grumpymike , here are a couple of links you might want to check out.

http://www.srww.com/sketchup.htm This one used to be Free but now has a small charge but I think his style is worth it. Before the charge started I even e-mailed him about an issue I was having with the follow Me tool and got a response in less than a day and it solved my problem. But like others I don’t use SU every day so I sometimes have to go back and do a Refresher .

#10 posted 08-13-2014 12:46 AM

Thanks Richard I will do so … I used to use AutoCAD Sketch a lot when I was in the corporate world, but my copy just wont work with the new computers … 16 bits vs: 32 bits or something like that??? So SU looked like the way to go.
And like you I won’t use it every day, so keeping current will be another curve.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

1928 posts in 542 days

#11 posted 08-13-2014 03:26 AM

We all learn in different ways. I tried this dvd as well and didn’t like it. I tried Bob Lang’s shoot class sketchup videos and found them much more useful.

#12 posted 08-13-2014 05:39 PM

You guys have helped out a lot … I have found a couple videos that have captioning, and some very clear speakers, so I’m again on my way … Thanks to all for the wonderful links … See, ya can teach an old dog …

View PhilBello's profile

PhilBello

#13 posted 08-14-2014 01:54 AM

Hi I to am an Abacus and Slide Rule guy! I am trying to learn how to use Sketch-up, but I just don’t have the patience, however there is a good You Tube series on Sketch-up by Jay Bates you can access it via his web site, Jays Custom Creations

-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright