Milwaukee Self Feed Bits

Review by natenaaron posted 08-09-2014 11:03 PM 2669 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Milwaukee Self Feed Bits No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am making something that needed a 1 3/8 inch hole cut. I whipped out the 1 3/8 hole saw I have and it was not big enough. After a quick measure it turns out it is NOT 1 3/8, so it was off to the hardware store. The only 1 3/8 hole cutting thing they had was an expensive Milwaukee self feeding bit.

My choice was to spend the money and work on my project today, or order something and wait a week or so. I spent the money and I am glad I did.

Being the anal type person I am, I always test cut in scrap before munching up my project. I put the bit into the drill press after scratching my head at the screw cut guide bit. They give you two screw things. Grabbed a piece of pine 2×4 scrap and Whoa Nellie! I had a light touch on the handle as I lowered the bit to the wood. A soon as the screw caught it ripped the handle out of my hands and ripped through the board. I was not expecting that. Very nice clean hole though. Minimal tear out on the exit. True to size

Next came a scrap piece of walnut and tighter grip on the handle. This time, when the screw bit in, the hardwood kept it from going all the way through and it acted like a quality guide bit. It went through the 8/4 walnut perfectly. I am buying a set of these. I would say they are well worth the money and I trust the brand name. Everything I have gotten with a Milwaukee name has lasted. They even give you instructions on how to sharpen it.

I only gave it 4 stars because, if you are not ready, it will get away from you.

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

View Richard's profile

Richard

#1 posted 08-11-2014 06:37 PM

Are the 2 screw bits different ? Maybe one for soft wood and one for hard wood ? Nice to know the size of the finished hole is as listed.

View JayT's profile

JayT

#2 posted 08-11-2014 06:59 PM

Yep, self-feed bits are great for putting in a lot of holes in very little time—contractors love ‘em for running plumbing and electrical in wood studs and joists. Since there is so little space in stud bays to get behind a drill and put pressure on a large bit, the screw tip works to pull the bit through. The 2nd screw tip should be identical to the first and for when they hit too many nails or other metal and ruin the threads.

They aren’t designed to be used in drill presses and I don’t think I would want to use them in hardwood over a standard Forstner bit. It’s too hard to control the feed rate and stop the bit if you need a flat bottomed hole instead of a through one. Plus the screw tip is quite a bit longer than a Forstner centering tip, so you have to be careful of going through if you are trying to do a stopped hole.

-- "My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." Abraham Lincoln

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#3 posted 08-11-2014 07:30 PM

I have a whole set of these (Makita brand) that I got YEARS ago. I think there’s 15 or 20 in the set.

At one time I thought about selling them because as you say, they get away from you quickly when that screw center grabs. First time I tried ‘em I did use a drill press and nearly broke my wrist!

So I ground the screw threads off one of the tips and it does “sorta” work like a Forstner bit

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View Bob Current 's profile

Bob Current

#4 posted 08-15-2014 07:31 PM

One of our plumbers busted the shaft on a large Milwaukee hole hog using a 4.5 ” bit they are work horses but very dangerous in large sizes. I would bet they could break your arm.
Good review anyway.

-- When you are wrong admit it, when you are right forget it.