Wood River #62 low angle Jack Plane

Review by Florida_Jim posted 08-09-2014 06:26 PM 3197 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood River #62 low angle Jack Plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve wanted a bevel up jack plane for a while. When Wood River brought out their #62, I agonized over paying extra for the lee valley.
I have a V3, #4, #5, and a low angle block plane that I’m very happy with.
I had a discount coupon so I bought the wood river #62.
Out of the box, it was a beauty. The sole was flat, and the sides were dead on square. I bought an extra 25 degree blade, and the 40 degree blade. I polished, and sharpened the blades. I sharpened the 40, and one of the 25’s with a little “camber”. Left the other 25 straight, for edge grain trimming. I put a micro bevel on all the blades, I used a VERITAS MK II honing guide for sharpening.
I was a little disappointed, when I tested it on the face of the board. I discovered a gouge in the wood
The front of the adjustment for the blade clearance evidently was burred. A little judicial stoning cured that.
The plane produces gossamer shavings. It made a scrap piece of maple glass smooth, even around a knot.
So far I’m pleased with the plane.
I’d like to see a tooth blade for it.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1386 posts in 1907 days

#1 posted 08-09-2014 09:03 PM

Looks like a useful plane after some tweaking. Always been impressed by the wood river V3 line, and this looks like another good addition.

-- Allen, Colorado

#2 posted 08-13-2014 06:46 PM

Jim,
Thank you for the review.
What do you use a tooth blade for?

#3 posted 08-14-2014 07:04 PM

Jim,
Thank you for the review.
What do you use a tooth blade for?

- b2rtch

You use a toothed blade to aggressively remove material with less effort. Use for flattening or thinning a board. Follow up with a regular blade.

#4 posted 08-14-2014 07:14 PM

Back home ( France) I saw people using a tooth blade before gluing veneer to get more glue surface.
This is why I was asking

#5 posted 08-15-2014 01:39 AM

Lei-Nielsen makes fine toothed blades for their #112 large scraping plane, to use for veneering.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#6 posted 09-09-2014 12:02 PM

I’m curious what you paid. The Stanley SW #62 can be had for $137 and is comparable. The WR lists for $199.

#7 posted 09-09-2014 12:45 PM

I m curious what you paid. The Stanley SW #62 can be had for $137 and is comparable. The WR lists for $199.

- OSU55

I wanted a low angle jack. I agonized for while over which one. I came close to buying the LN jack.
When I checked out the new Woodriver 62 at my local Wood craft, I was pleased with the appearance and feel. The Wood craft store guy said that if I wasn’t happy with it, I could bring it back no questions asked.
I compared the wood river to the Stanley 62 at the store. The Woodriver was noticeably better made.
The other reasons I didn’t like the stanley were, bad reviews on this site, and other places. Also the lack of available blades. When I bought the plane, I bought a couple of extra blades. I sharpened one of the 25 degree blades with a “camber” , left the other 25 degree straight. I use the straight on a shooting board, and end grain. I also sharpened the 40 degree with a camber. I’m thinking about getting another 40 degree, and changing it to 50 degree, to kinda use as a “scraper”.
I had a $25.00 valued customer coupon, so I paid about 175.00 + tax.

Jim