(New) PM2700 for sale

Review by filzencustoms posted 08-09-2014 02:12 AM 3146 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
(New) PM2700 for sale No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The good:
Digital readout is a wonderful feature if you want to stack cutters on the spindle. However, you have to keep an eye on it because mine will creep even with the handwheel lock tightened.

The bad:
THE SHAPER
at first glance I was excited to get this out of the crate and assembled because the fence looked so nice with all of the adjustment features. I was very very disappointed with this fence. it moves all over the place and by all over the place I mean the wings flex over an 1/8’’ when stock is run up against it. I made a video of this and sent it to Powermatic, they had no idea why it would do that, they sent me new wings and I put them on only to have the same thing happen. I bought this shaper primarily to make cabinet doors in my one man shop, and it is totally worthless for this as the stock comes out wavy from the wings flexing. Upon assembly and start up the spindle had a bad case of run out, after trying to trouble shoot and re install 10+ times I called powermatic to see if this was a common problem and what the fix was for it. They had no answers. I did find out the draw bar which pulls the spindle down was bent, which you could see when you rolled the thing across the steel top. I called powermatic and after getting the run around and being transferred to 3 different people the guy giving support told me to take a 2lb hammer and straighten it by hitting it. I told him that this thing spins at 10,000 rpms and that there is no way I could ever get this straight enough to not throw out the bearings on this machine. His reply was that they do not just hand out free parts to everyone that calls! I immediately called the place where I bought the machine ( seven corners hardware, St Paul mn) and explained the situation and the salesman had the new part over nighted to me. Overall I had 14 hours of dealing with the problems on this brand new, supposedly high end machine. The most irritating thing about this whole ordeal was the customer service I did not get from powermatic. The guy accusing me of wanting free parts was the icing on the cake. I will never buy a piece of yellow iron again! I also sent a letter to powermatic explaining the experience and have not received a response.

View filzencustoms's profile

filzencustoms

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#1 posted 08-09-2014 03:24 AM

Wow. What a bad experience. I think their customer service has gone downhill. I had problems with a PM BS (did a review here) and the customer service was great. About a year ago I bought a PM mortiser and the plastic tool holder was cracked. I gave them a call and what a difference. She wanted me to deal with the store I bought it at! After a bit of convincing she reluctantly said she would send it but never did. I called back a few weeks later and they finally ended up sending it.

Something must have happened over there and it wasn’t for the better.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#2 posted 08-09-2014 03:33 AM

Shamefully bad customer service. Is there no company that still has good CS???

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Paul Maurer's profile

Paul Maurer

#3 posted 08-09-2014 05:42 AM

Makes me thankful that I could not afford the headache.

-- Psalm 62: 11 Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, 12 and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord. For you repay to all according to their work

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#4 posted 08-09-2014 02:20 PM

That’s awful.

View levan's profile

levan

#5 posted 08-09-2014 02:52 PM

That’s terrible. There is way to much slop in casting on the fence that the spindles fit into. I don’t think they can get it to fit tight enough, just bad design. I have had to make my own wooden fences to get away from this. I think I would just want a new machine with the spindle run out that you talk about.

-- Lynn "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right". Henry Ford

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#6 posted 08-09-2014 08:15 PM

I’m sorry to read of your less than professional experiences with the Folks at Powermatic.
While I was shopping for my new table saw, PM was one of the front runners in the competition because of the history of setting the standard.
I called the customer service to clarify a few things and was met with an attitude. I thought it was just me, and I went on.
I did purchase another brand that the CS folks went out of their way to answer my petty questions.
I guess this is a carry over from the days that I worked in the corporate world, ‘a happy customer is what pays our bills’ .

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#7 posted 08-09-2014 09:01 PM

Seems like a lot of negative feedback on Powermatic products lately. Does anyone know who actually OWNS Powermatic these days? I know it’s changed a couple times.

View Iwud4u's profile

Iwud4u

#8 posted 08-09-2014 09:22 PM

3 things I got from the video.

1- The fence flexes. That sucks. I can understand your frustration.
Shouldn’t be having that with a new tool. Don’t know if it’s an install problem, or design flaw.

2- Sounded like you just threw the fence on the ground, should have more respect for your tools.

3- Looks like you rounded the head on the bolt holding the casting on. I cringed when I saw you break out the crescent wrench. Get a box end wrench, a crescent wrench is for bicycles.

-- It's far better to be criticized by a wise person than applauded by a fool --

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

2924 posts in 1961 days

#9 posted 08-09-2014 09:57 PM

After looking at the previous review of the PM 2700 which was over 4 years ago, it seems apparent that PM quality has plummeted. Since Jet took over, they seem to have made PM the entry level machine. They were made in Taiwan, but it looks like they switched to a Chinese provider. I haven’t bought a new machine in 30 years. I won’t be buying anything soon, but when I do, it will be good old used American iron.

View carver1942's profile

carver1942

#10 posted 08-10-2014 05:32 PM

MrRon, you best not wait too long to find your “American Iron”, because it seems many others have the same idea. The imported junk today is going to make the older quality equipment very much in demand. More and more of the machine reviews here are showing disappointment in products that were once highly though of. There are still high quality machines out there today, but they are out of the budget range of most nonprofessional average guys. The brands that were at one time of decent quality, and we could afford, are now junk. Not a week goes by that I don’t see a horror story such as this review being posted here. These are not small ticket items, and I sure hope PM steps up to the plate and makes good on a faulty product. Ed

View divingfe's profile

divingfe

#11 posted 08-15-2014 10:51 PM

I think the review by the OP (and the comparative review of several years earlier)shows how quality declines in inverse proportion to the size of the company and/or the number of companies or holding entities that control them. All the more reason to purchase from companies that are individual and closely held. They have a direct stake in quality and customer satisfaction. The ‘biggies’ are more interested in satisfying board members and stockholders. That is why, American or foreign, I would check on the company lineage rather than go with a [previous] “name” brand. So sorry that the quality, and the customer service has gone downhill, but happy for the warning before I (if ever have the $$$!!!!!) spend a huge amount on a quality tool brand. Thank you for the review.

-- Shortest distance between two points - a straight line. Longest distance - a shortcut.

View JADobson's profile

JADobson

#12 posted 09-02-2014 03:53 AM

Seems like a lot of negative feedback on Powermatic products lately. Does anyone know who actually OWNS Powermatic these days? I know it s changed a couple times.

- RogerBean

Powermatic is owned by JPW Industries Inc. They also own Jet and a few other brands. See: http://www.jpwindustries.com

-- James