Great Saw for dovetails

Review by mramseyISU posted 07-29-2014 12:27 AM 3439 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Saw for dovetails No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this saw up a couple weeks back to try my hand at hand cutting dovetails after losing 4 teeth out of a Japanese style saw on one drawer. I’d read that the Japanese saws aren’t as good on harder woods like white oak which is what I mostly use, wish I would have read that before I bought the thing but other than that it’s a nice saw and I’ll keep it around I think. Back to the review at hand though. I started the process of laying out dovetails on 4 drawers and started cutting the tails. After spending an hour marking everything out I spent about 15 minutes sawing. This saw just flew through the white oak. The only problems I had were because the operator is a moron, one day I keep telling myself. Once I got the hang of not pushing too hard the saw cut like a dream. I can’t wait to get back to cutting tonight after the kids go to bed.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#1 posted 07-29-2014 12:47 PM

japanese saws do cut hardwoods..you just need the appropriate saw

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View rad457's profile

rad457

#2 posted 07-29-2014 06:19 PM

This was my first DT saw, have now switched to a LV Japanese saw, the veritas did not cut fine enough for my work but was better/okay on pine and larger joints. IMHO.

-- Andre of Alberta. Finger Prints show your hands were on the wood.

View Richard Hillius's profile

Richard Hillius

#3 posted 07-29-2014 07:24 PM

I have the 14 TPI version of this dovetail saw and it’s a really good saw that makes nice clean dovetails in softwoods or hardwoods. It’s a great first dovetail saw and for a lot of people would be all they would ever need. I have never got the hang of pull saws and find the flat handle uncomfortable for more than a few cuts but that’s personal tastes more than any fault of the saws. I’m a European push saw kind of guy and probably always will be and for the money this is a good option.

View stefang's profile

stefang

13017 posts in 1985 days

#4 posted 08-07-2014 08:15 PM

We are all morons occasionally, ok, maybe pretty often, but I have to agree that the Japanese saws are pretty fragile. I suspect that we are not holding or using them exactly the way we should. Nevertheless I can relate to your preference in using a more traditional push saw. I have been using my 30 year old backsaw more and more recently. I like it’s rigidity and it’s resistance to my somewhat amateurish sawing technique. Lee Valley has great products and now I know their dovetail saw is great too thanks to your review.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.