Good Chisel set for the money

Review by mramseyISU posted 07-29-2014 12:05 AM 3469 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Chisel set for the money No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had these chisels for about a month now. I made the decision a while back I wanted to start cutting dovetails by hand and wanted an upgrade over the Irwin chisels I picked up at home depot a few years back. First thing I noticed was how light they are in your hand. They really feel like I’m holding a pencil not a piece of steel. That being said they are tough chisel. Out of the box they were pretty sharp and I was playing around with them and I was paring some end grain white oak, not exactly the easiest stuff there is to pare. It did a pretty good job of that. I honed them with the 3200 grit wheel on my worksharp 3000 and they looked like mirrors in about 5 minutes. The only issue I had at this point was the 1” chisel was a little concave on the back. I’d heard this before and noticed it with my set. Not a deal breaker by any means but still an annoyance. The first job out of the chute was some drawer sides and they are working great. If the backs on all of them would have been flatter this would have been a 5 star set in my book.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

View rad457's profile

rad457

#1 posted 07-29-2014 06:25 PM

Have to agree, great chisels for the price, my go to so far, but need a chance to try out a new set of Two Cherries I picked up. My Stanelys were all very flat, a slight concave on the back is a good thing! All the Japanese chisels in my collection have major concaved backs.

-- Andre of Alberta. Are you Kidding me?

View rkober's profile

rkober

#2 posted 07-30-2014 05:28 PM

Mine seem to work fine for me. I like the classic design. I finally turned new handles which are a little longer and seem to be more comfortable.

-- Ray - Spokane, WA - “Most people don’t recognize opportunity because it’s usually disguised as hard work.” - Unknown

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

#3 posted 08-03-2014 02:45 PM

I have had this set for a few years and like them except for one thing. I am constantly battling the issue of the handles coming off. I have tried a few fixes without going all out and trying some sort of permanent cement, but I am close to trying that as a last resort. If anyone has ideas I would appreciate it.

-- "Simplicity and repose are the qualities that measure the true value of any work of art." Frank LLoyd Wright

View blakjak220's profile

blakjak220

#4 posted 08-04-2014 05:19 AM

yeah… a hollow back is good, means you don’t have so much metal to remove to make the back edge flat. Mine were all almost perfectly flat when I got them so i just gave them a slight polish. But I agree, they are nice chisels for the money for sure….

View Brad's profile

Brad

#5 posted 08-04-2014 05:43 PM

danoaz, five-minute epoxy put an end to my handles keep coming off issue. I got tired of the handle deciding to unseat just after the chisel cleared the tool rack, only to fall to the concrete floor to nick the edge. No problems since. I might add that my chisels are vintage chisels. I don’t have any of the newer Stanley sweetheart chisels.

-- "People's lives are their own rewards or punishments."

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#6 posted 08-04-2014 05:48 PM

I was going to upgrade my Irwin Marples chisels until I realized that Paul Sellers uses them—I decided then that maybe I (and my sharpening) was more of the issue than my chisels. Glad you found some you like.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#7 posted 08-04-2014 05:57 PM

I used hairspray and they don’t come off anymore. It may work for you.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#8 posted 08-04-2014 05:59 PM

Wow. In the category of solutions I would have never thought to try.

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

#9 posted 08-04-2014 07:10 PM

Interesting ideas on holding the handles in place. I thought I’d add a little follow up to this after really using them. I’ve dovetailed 3 drawers with them pins and tails were both white oak. So far they are really holding an edge well. I think my 1/4” one could use touching up but other than that they’ve been great.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.

View StephenPrunier's profile

StephenPrunier

#10 posted 08-06-2014 11:32 PM

Rough up the handle area that holds the steel with sandpaper. I have the LN version of these chisels. I haven’t had an issue since I did it. ALSO, pick the chisel up by the shaft, and NOT the handle. It will only be a matter of time before you pick it up by the handle and you watch the steel fall to the floor!! Don’t ask me how I know. :(