Gorilla Tape 4.5 stars from the clamping perspective.

Review by MarkTheFiddler posted 07-28-2014 01:37 PM 4507 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gorilla Tape 4.5 stars from the clamping perspective. Gorilla Tape 4.5 stars from the clamping perspective. Gorilla Tape 4.5 stars from the clamping perspective. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Howdy,

I know gorilla tape has been reviewed before but I thought I’d give it another. I want to share my experience with clamping.

I have used all kinds of tape to get the job done. Painters, masking, packing and duct. All of them had some uses but for the purposes of clamping they all had failure points. I’ll discuss those and give my impressions of gorilla tape.

Stickiness: most tapes had some immediate failures especially when there were trace amounts of dust or moisture. Gorilla tape stayed exactly where I put it with a strong hold. A lot of the tapes started to loose tack after a while. The gorilla tape bond got stronger. Once I got the tape where I wanted it, It stayed. 5 stars.

Strength: here is what really impressed me. I could pull the tape for all I was worth without tearing or diminishing the tackiness. 5 stars.

Stretch: I don’t want any stretch. When I pull in the opposite direction with another clamp set, I don’t want the original to stretch. 4 stars but still the best I have used.

Reuse and resets. Reuse is pretty much out of the question although I did use some old pieces to just hold some pieces in place while I clamped another section. The rest was good. I made small adjustments here and there. The bond is still strong after the first reset. After that the first reset, the bond started to diminish. I wasted about 2 feet out of about 12. 4 stars.

Removal and residue. The tape comes off cleanly with very little residue. The only visible residue was left where the tape met with squeeze out. 4.5 stars.

I’m keeping a roll around for more projects.

Keifer recommend surgical tape. I’m going to try it. I’d really like to see 5 stars on the stretchiness factor and bond combination even if it involves residue cleanup.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#1 posted 07-28-2014 02:28 PM

Nice review. I’ve used Gorilla tape for repairs I want to be permanent (more or less) and it’s beat the rest. However, I’ve never thought about using it for clamping. I was always concerned that it would not be easy to remove. But, in light of your experience, I’ll keep it in mind should the challenge arise. Thanks for posting and sharing your experiences.

#2 posted 07-28-2014 05:50 PM

Howdy John,

Those dang angular glue ups are a thorn in my side. Especially when my cuts are not accurate to .04 degrees. (Or more when the piece moves against the saw blade. This stuff has given me the best results yet.

When I get home. I’m going to remove a piece of tape that has been bonding for 24 hours. I’ll update the residue info after I see what is left behind.

#3 posted 07-31-2014 12:41 AM

Great idea, keep us posted on how it releases

-- Norman

#4 posted 08-02-2014 04:53 AM

Almost forgot about that Norman. Thanks for the reminder. I left in on several hard wood species for about 72 hours. I was able to pull it free and could only fell the barest traces of adhesive one I pulled it off. A quick wipe with mineral spirits and the wood was clean

Best of luck to everyone