Wait for a sale. Not worth full price IMO.

Review by DylanC posted 07-25-2014 02:23 AM 3633 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wait for a sale.  Not worth full price IMO. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just bough one of these from Rockler.com on sale for $35 and free shipping. Mine is a Port-A-Mate PM1000, but is IDENTICAL to the Wood River unit pictured in another review. I picked one up for my jointer (21” x 42” base size) and am very satisfied with the quality and function based on the cost. They are still on sale, and I plan on buying two more for the same price. If I had paid $60, I would expect a little more. I believe I would build my own rather than pay full price.

-- Dylan C ...Seems like all ever I make is sawdust...

View DylanC's profile

DylanC

View jtm's profile

jtm

#1 posted 07-25-2014 02:41 AM

I have the HF mobile bases for most of my tools. (where you have to make your own stretchers)

I bought one of these the last time Rockler had them on sale, and now I wish I could switch over all my HF bases.

The cam lever wheel lock is so much better than having to bend down every time with the HF bases.

$60 is a bit much, but these are definitely worth the $35.

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

#2 posted 07-25-2014 03:48 AM

I agree, full price…. No Deal!
On Sale, I’ll take two!!!

I have both the HF & Port-A-Mate.
HF for seldom moved machines….
Port-A-Mate for frequently moved machines….
Works for me!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

#3 posted 07-25-2014 11:36 PM

Thanks for pointing this out. I may get this for my workbench. What’s the increase in height from using this? 1/2”, 3/4”, 1”?

#4 posted 07-26-2014 01:22 AM

I have HF, no ussues

-- Norman

#5 posted 07-26-2014 09:30 PM

I’m going to give it a shot. I’m not entirely sure if this will work the way I want it to, but I really want my workbench mobile when I need it to be. I’m also going to pick up the extension kit as this one is just a bit out of reach.

View NickyP's profile

NickyP

#6 posted 07-28-2014 12:19 AM

I also picked one of these up from Rockler for $35 beans free shipping. Bought it just because as you can’t go wrong for the price. Will be using it on a project I’ll be posting soon. Such a deal!

-- "Never underestimate the power of a kind word, a good deed, or a table saw."

View NickyP's profile

NickyP

#7 posted 07-28-2014 12:20 AM

Rayne . . . it adds 3/4” to the height.

-- "Never underestimate the power of a kind word, a good deed, or a table saw."

#8 posted 09-03-2014 04:32 PM

I just installed the mobile base and am loving the mobility, but getting it to raise is quite difficult. Is there supposed to be grease / oil underneath the lever? If so, what kind is usually used for that? The height is absolutely perfect with it being just a hair over 1/16” separation with the TS being higher.

View DocPaul's profile

DocPaul

#9 posted 09-03-2014 04:45 PM

I have a HF base for my bandsaw. It’s great if you never move the machine! I will not buy one again and probably will make my own from now on. I have not ruled out the Rockler base on sale though.