Grizzly G0452Z 6” Jointer with Spiral Cutterhead

Review by JerryinCreek posted 07-22-2014 01:45 AM 4550 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0452Z 6” Jointer with Spiral Cutterhead Grizzly G0452Z 6” Jointer with Spiral Cutterhead Grizzly G0452Z 6” Jointer with Spiral Cutterhead Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a summary of my experience in purchasing, assembling and using this machine.

I began by attempting to place my order on-line, but the choice of lift gate service was not available on the web site. I then called Grizzly and the gentleman who assisted me was going to show me where I missed it. However, I apparently did not miss it, it was not on the web site for this product. The order taker was quite courteous and completed my purchase.

I ordered this unit on a Wednesday and was quite surprised to receive it the following Monday. Standard delivery was a very reasonable $79 and lift gate service was an additional $35, which is the only way to go! The UPS Freight driver even wheeled the pallet into my garage.

The unit comes in two boxes. One box contains the robust wheeled stand. The box it came in is made of super-thick cardboard and lined with foam. It has a lift-off top and carrying handles. If you’re like me you won’t be throwing it away! The second box contains the jointer itself. Although the second box had damage, the jointer itself had no damage. Just a word of caution, I noted the box damage on the delivery receipt that I signed for the driver and on my copy. I also took photos of the box before opening it. I would suggest you do the same for your own protection.

As others have commented, the cosmoline is quite thick on Grizzly products. I followed the advice I read by others and used a product called Orange Blast to help cut through it. It does require a large amount of paper toweling to complete the job. You do need to remove it from all surfaces, or moving parts will not move freely. Afterwards, don’t forget to apply a protectant to the bare iron table and fence surfaces to avoid rust!

The Grizzly web site says assembly should take an hour. All I can say is that I spent the good part of a day to assemble mine.

PROBLEM: The very first bolt I installed (per the instructions) is to attach the locking foot pedal. The bolt screws into a threaded area of this foot. As I tightened the bolt I found that it had stripped. Upon inspection I found that the threaded area was not cleanly cut. I broke off the material that was causing the problem. I then ran a new bolt completely through the hole with the foot removed from the machine and then reinstalled the foot and bolt.

PROBLEM: I moved the fence forward to the front of the machine. I was blessed with a nice scratch across the table (Arrgggg!) (Photo 2).

I inspected the fence and found that an area about 1 ½” long purposely rides on the table when you move the fence (Photo 3). However, this area had a burr, which caused my scratch. I filed off the burr. Grizzly also suggested I adhere a piece of nylon to this area of the fence. I had some leftover self-adhesive drawer runner from a project and this worked well as it is only about 1/16” thick.

PROBLEM: The cutterhead guard does take some maneuvering to install. Be sure to remove the cosmoline from the hole for the shaft you need to insert for assembly. Even though I had cleaned that assembly, the cutterhead guard would hardly move even after applying heavy spring tension. Sanding the shaft solved the problem. Also, the manual says you should apply ½ turn of tension to the spring. I have applied a full turn to get the guard to move at an acceptable speed.

All in all the assembly went well and the machine is easy to adjust to complete your set-up. The machine is extremely quiet and vibration free – a real joy compared to my prior machine. The spiral cutter head makes glass like cuts. The instruction manual is excellent and the Grizzly response to my problems was good. The built-in casters are great and the locking foot is easy to use – all a perfect fit for my tiny shop.

I had some issues that I think could be avoided with closer quality control standards. The staff at Grizzly was prompt and courteous (even following up on my E mails with a phone call!). But, if Grizzly knows that a piece of nylon will help avoid fence damage to the table, why don’t they provide it! Or, at least warn the buyer up-front? And, when I told them that the manual states to use a 13mm wrench. (when in fact it’s 14mm) they said, “I’m not surprised.”

Would I buy this machine again? Yes.

I hope this information helps in your buying decision. Grizzly could get 5 stars by addressing the problem issues I’ve outlined.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 07-22-2014 03:20 AM

Thanks for the review and info.
I’m getting this jointer soon and it’s good to know what to look for.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View hotncold's profile

hotncold

#2 posted 07-22-2014 02:07 PM

Nice review Jerry. It validates my decision to go with Grizzly.

-- Dennie - Tennessee - Every Pro was once an Amateur. Every Expert was once a Beginner. So dream Big and start Now!

View Roger's profile

#3 posted 07-22-2014 03:34 PM

Thnx for your review. Glad you were able to be happy with your purchase. It’s always nice to hear how some of these companies handles different situations.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Rob's profile

Rob

#4 posted 07-22-2014 03:59 PM

Thanks for the review and for sharing the gotchas.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#5 posted 07-22-2014 09:25 PM

Great purchase. Thanks for the info. Will use this for future reference.

View Cory's profile

Cory

#6 posted 07-24-2014 08:08 PM

I’ve had this machine for almost 4 years now. I love it.

-- The secret to getting ahead is getting started.

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

#7 posted 07-25-2014 02:36 AM

The issue with the fence dragging across the table is a common one. I can recall one jointer in 25 years of woodworking machine reviews in the wood mags that had a small piece of UHMW plastic let into the bottom of the fence as a bearing point. If I’m not mistaken it was an Enlon jointer but then it’s been a long time. I can’t see why every machine doesn’t have this little table saving device installed, even a smooth surface on the fence is going to mar the surface and we all like ‘em nice and shiny. Glad to hear you had a good experience with Grizzly and hope you get equally satisfying service out of the jointer. God bless.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#8 posted 07-25-2014 03:35 AM

I’ve had mine for about 6 months now. There were delivery problems, not Grizzly’s fault, and they were very concerned & helpful about it. It is great machine.

#9 posted 07-25-2014 12:52 PM

mantwi-
I must say I didn’t use my Sunday morning language when this scratch occurred. It’s just really irritating to get this type of damage on a brand new machine you just spent near a grand on. Especially when it’s unavoidable! The seller/manufacturer should have had better quality inspection on this part knowing it could cause such a problem. At the least, they could inform the consumer to attach a piece of UHMW plastic to this “foot” to avoid such damage.

Since adding this plastic, the entire fence rides much smoother. Now about that scratch …

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#10 posted 07-26-2014 01:58 AM

Straight forward and honest review. thanks for writing it up for us.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Todd's profile

Todd

#11 posted 08-15-2014 08:16 PM

Ive got the G0452 without the spiral head. It works great but I scratched mine too with the fence. Argggg!

-- Todd, Huntsville, AL

View wildbuck's profile

wildbuck

#12 posted 08-17-2014 06:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the fence, sorry to hear about the scratch. I just opened the box on my eight inch jointer and have been cruising the internet for information on Grizzly machines. I just built my dream shop and have purchased seven Grizzly woodworking machines. I have read about the cosmoline and the Orange Blast product you mentioned will be on my purchase list.
This is my first post on LumberJocks, thanks again for all the information.

#13 posted 08-17-2014 07:29 PM

Sorry to hear you had the same problem scratching the table Todd. If we are now aware of this problem why has Grizzly chosen to ignore it?

Sounds like a real dream shop wildbuck! Seven new machines at once? You must have won the lottery! Welcome to Lumberjocks! I have really come to enjoy LJ and the more involved I have gotten the more fun it is!