Impulse buy lives up to the company name, and may save my woodworking journey!

Review by paxorion posted 07-21-2014 12:58 AM 4126 views 3 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Impulse buy lives up to the company name, and may save my woodworking journey! Impulse buy lives up to the company name, and may save my woodworking journey! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I come from a rather impatient part of the world, and if anything seems like a monotonous use of time, I can’t stand it. So if anyone were to ask me what I enjoyed least (i.e. hate) about woodworking, it’s sanding. In fact, sanding is probably the part of woodworking that is most likely to cause my projects to go into limbo. There are times when I am worried that sanding will be the death of my woodworking journey!

Enter the Preppin Weapon. I remember first spotting it on a Wood Whisperer video thinking “what is that thing?” After a bit of research, I concluded that it was a tool that could be a luxury item worth splurging on “one day”. At that time, I did the usual wrap sandpaper around a block of scrap wood, and it was minimally satisfactory to “get the job done”. Now if sanding is the part of woodworking I hate the most, I the part I hated about sanding is hand sanding. That comes from the fact that I found myself spending more mental energy keeping the sandpaper in position as I would actually sanding. Well “one day” came, when I made an impromptu stop at Woodcraft, and made an impromptu (impulse) purchase.

If a tool can stem the dreadful fate of limbo for a project and be enjoyable to use, I’d say it’s a good buy. If it can change your fear of a premature death to woodworking for a young man, I’d say it is great buy. Lately, I find myself impulsively sanding random boards just to get the satisfying feeling of watching sawdust form quickly. I actually find that in some cases, I can sand with the preppin weapon faster than with my random orbit sander. The tool is great. A few highlights.

1. There is some prep work to properly size your sandpaper for the tool (a single full sized sheet yields 4 perfectly sized strips for the tool). Not really an inconvenience if you do it ahead of time.
  2. Paper change is exceptionally fast, thanks to the 2 lever latches that hold paper nice and tight.
  3. There are two major advantages over the rubber sanding block (like the Norton one from Woodcraft). First, you get use of a lot more of the sandpaper as only about 1 inch is taken up the clamps that hold the paper to the block. Second, you can take off and put sandpaper back on, without any concern for re-aligning puncture holes.
  4. The ergonomics is awesome. With practically no downward pressure, I find that I might be able to sand faster than with a random orbit sander! (OK this might be an exaggeration…I use better Klingspor sandpaper for hand sanding than the Gator disc overstock I’m trying to use up)

UPDATE (12/06/2014): I love this thing so much, I got a second one to match my 2 5” ROS. I now have a yellow (for 80/120/150) with my Dewalt sander and blue (For 180, 220, or 320) with my Bosch. Very tempted to get a red (and maybe a Milwaukee sander?) to serve as an intermediary, so that I can color code my sanding routine.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 07-21-2014 01:01 AM

I have two of those (green and blue) and absolutely love them. I see myself getting two more soon too. They’re great and worth the money. :-)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View ChuckV's profile (online now)

ChuckV

#2 posted 07-21-2014 01:15 AM

I also have had two of these for about five years. They have held up very well.

-- “While the world with closed eyes sleeps, The sky knows and weeps - steel rain. ” ― Nathan Bell

#3 posted 07-21-2014 02:28 AM

Have to look into, other makes of these waste a good bit of sandpaper with the method of attachment

-- Norman

View Woodbutchery's profile

Woodbutchery

#4 posted 07-21-2014 11:44 AM

I had similar feelings concerning sanding until one morning I made some sanding blocks. The key to it, for me, was the ability to quit worrying about whether the sandpaper was going to slip or slide about on the block.

Ain’t it amazing what effect having the proper tool will have on our hobby?

-- Making scrap with zen-like precision - Woodbutchery

#5 posted 07-21-2014 01:04 PM

Ain t it amazing what effect having the proper tool will have on our hobby?

- Woodbutchery

Nod nod and more nods

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

#6 posted 07-21-2014 02:02 PM

I too had the epiphany when I first tried using these holders: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2021

Changed my attitude to sanding in the way that your ‘impulse’ purchase did.

I extol the virtues of this type of holder to anyone I can force to listen!

I have three currently, always loaded ‘rough’, ‘smooth’ and ‘fine’, and identified as such.

Every time I cut something on the chop saw, I automatically reach for one of these to remove the ‘bits’, but certainly never used to bother before I got them.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View OldWrangler's profile

OldWrangler

#7 posted 07-22-2014 01:53 AM

When you get really old, you will find that sanding really isn’t so bad., I use a Bosch Orbital. It’s quiet and practically weightless. The hook and look pads are one of the greatest things since sliced bread. My problem is that I sand things on a work bench and sit in a comfortable high backed bar stool. I find about 1/2 of my sanding is done while I am napping. I guess I am semi-conscious because the sander gets moved around but I do get a lot of short naps that are real relaxing. I seldom go below 320 grit so I don’t grind holes in my projects.

I love sanding.

-- I am going to go stand outside so if anyone asks about me, tell them I'M OUTSTANDING!

View gblock66's profile

gblock66

#8 posted 07-22-2014 12:25 PM

In the article it doesn’t say where to buy these sanding blocks . . .

View ChuckV's profile (online now)

ChuckV

#9 posted 07-22-2014 12:55 PM

In the article it doesn t say where to buy these sanding blocks . . .

- gblock66

I bought mine at Rockler:

There are other choices at Amazon. If you are patient, you can probably catch it on sale at Rockler.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#10 posted 07-22-2014 03:16 PM

$22.59???? Wow. Why do these manufacturers always want to get greedy with their product costs?

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#11 posted 07-22-2014 04:20 PM

It’s worth every penny.
It’s a lifetime purchase.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#12 posted 07-22-2014 04:55 PM

- Bogeyguy

It really is a quality unit, glass reinforced plastic with quality steel mechanisms make this thing worth $23.

#13 posted 07-22-2014 05:12 PM

In the article it doesn t say where to buy these sanding blocks . . .

- gblock66

I bolded the line regarding where I bought it

- paxorion

#14 posted 07-22-2014 05:13 PM

- Bogeyguy

Totally worth the money. As NiteWalker said, a lifetime purchase. Very high quality tool. Seeing what others have said, I am inclined to one day buy another one, so that I can keep different grit paper clamped at all times.

#15 posted 07-22-2014 07:17 PM

I want to also add, that from what I know (and could find online), this tool is Made in the USA. Take that with a grain of salt on price, but I for one am inclined to support local and small business IF they can provide the quality to back it up. The Preppin Weapon meets the quality requirement.