Laguna Fusion Tablesaw

Review by cjg posted 07-20-2014 04:25 AM 5031 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna Fusion Tablesaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was in need of new tablesaw as my old Delta contractors model was just wore out from the years of use over the past 60 years from my father and then myself. My shop space is roughly 500 sq. ft. but somewhat odd shaped. To fit the available space and maintain a safe work flow I was looking for as much saw as I could fit with the smallest footprint. I looked at new and used and all the brands. Read the reviews and finally selected the Luguna Fusion 10” Tablesaw with 1.75HP and 36” rip.

The saw is classified as a hybrid but does have the trunnions mounted to the cabinet like cabinet saws and unlike most hybrids. This was important to me as I have read about some of the issues hybrids saw are having.

The saw comes in two packages and packed very well.Nno damage to the unit at all. The one larger package is the saw and the small package is the fence.

The assembly was very easy and took no more than 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I was was missing a fence part which I had to contact the store and they in turn to Laguna. Laguna called me with the hour and had the parts shipped ASAP. I must say the customer service and followup was great. The manual for setup was enough to get the job done, but not the greatest. It assumes the everyone will understand what to do but has limited (good) pictures. The biggest issue was the the installation of the extension wings by yourself, but I just clamped two long levels to the saw top and held the wing in place as I clamp it to the extended level. Adjusting the wings once roughly in place but level with saw top was not and issue then. The fence is a two piece unit with pins for alignment and once I had all the parts went together with no problem and functions with no issues. I needed to replace the attached measuring tapes as they where installed not in the correct location, but Laguna sent replacements ASAP. The next issue was clean up the saw top and extensions which was not a major issue with rags and some mineral spirits and then a thin protection. The machined tops are great and highly polished.

I then checked all the alignment and settings and the saw came from the factory very well tuned. I only needed to adjust two of the set points slightly.

The performance of the saw is better than what I planned for. The fence functions great. The miter gauge is the standard unit you get and will be replaced with a upgrade. The wheels function and will be ok for the limited amount of moving I will be doing. If you need to move it in out a lot they may need to be upgraded. Dust collection was very good attached to my HF unit. even with dados. The saw cuts great with my Freud blade installed (the supplied blade is marginal at best). I have cut 2 inch oak, maple and cherry with no problem and very clean results. I have had it long enough for a few projects and have had no real issues in it’s performance. The supplied riving knife and guard work fine.

I gave it a solid 4.75 rating with only issues being the missing fence part and misplaced measuring scale which was then offset by the great customer service. If your in the market for a new saw this unit is worth looking at.

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#1 posted 07-20-2014 08:43 PM

Hi

Thanks for the review…could you post pictures of your top(demonstrating how shiny it is) and saw in place? Also, the moveable base would be nice too…

Thanks

al

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

#2 posted 07-20-2014 10:28 PM

I wish I had known about this one before I got my steel city saw. I probably would have gotten this one instead. The steel city is ok, but just ok.

Thanks for the review. I found a pic of the trunnions on another review; very nice indeed.

#3 posted 07-21-2014 02:15 AM

Great review, sounds like you are happy with your purchase

-- Norman

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#4 posted 07-21-2014 02:31 AM

Where did you purchase it from?

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

#5 posted 07-21-2014 03:08 AM

Where did you purchase it from?

- TheFridge

I’m not sure about the OP, but you can order it direct from laguna, as well as rockler, who currently has it on sale.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#6 posted 07-21-2014 03:16 AM

A true hybrid should have cabinet mounted trunnions. Ridgid and many other table saws being labeled as hybrid are just contractor saw with semi enclosed motor and don’t have cabinet mounted trunnions.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#7 posted 07-21-2014 03:35 AM

Nice

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

#8 posted 07-21-2014 03:52 AM

Thanks for the comments: Big Al I have attached pictures of the top and wheels as asked. The wheels are not easy to see as they are built into the cabinet and are adjusted with the knobs shown. There are wheels on just one side with levelers on the opposite side.!https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n91mpw2.jpg!

FridgeI purchase the unit at Rockler

View Furnitude's profile

Furnitude

#9 posted 07-21-2014 05:55 PM

Would you please comment on the quality of the fence? Is it sturdy, straight and flat? does it stay parallel to the blade? Thanks for the good review.

-- Mitch, http://furnitude.blogspot.com Also blog at http://www.craftsy.com/blog/author/mitch-roberson/

#10 posted 07-21-2014 06:18 PM

Furnitude The fence itself is made of aluminum like most of the units today. It is T bar track style with solid locking device. The fence is sturdy, straight and flat and I have had no problem with it staying parallel to my saw blade. I hope that helps you.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#11 posted 07-22-2014 09:20 PM

Solid saw. Thanks for the review.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#12 posted 07-23-2014 02:39 PM

Looks like a very nice table.
I am glad that you are happy with it.
Nothing like investing a bunch of money into a piece of equipment to only be dissatisfied.

More pictures please.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Furnitude's profile

Furnitude

#13 posted 07-23-2014 07:23 PM

Does anyone know if this is the same saw as the Baileigh hybrid? They look identical except for color—down to the fence mounted pushstick.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

1929 posts in 544 days

#14 posted 07-24-2014 04:31 PM

I see you read and compared other brands. How did this compare to a Grizzly—I’m curious about what sold you on this one? This seems like a very impressive saw for the $’s.

#15 posted 07-24-2014 10:53 PM

There’s no comparable grizzly in the 110 volt range.
Their hybrid is very different; table mounted trunnions, one of the stupid thin insert plates and IIRC, no mobile base.

It does look like the baliegh btw too, though the baliegh is more expensive (but has the digital fence readout). Also, the baleigh power switch is in an odd place.