Porter Cable 18 Volt Biscuit / Plate Joiner

Review by ontheworkbench posted 07-19-2014 04:46 AM 3154 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable 18 Volt Biscuit / Plate Joiner Porter Cable 18 Volt Biscuit / Plate Joiner No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know this might be a slightly odd tool review and if you are familiar with the Porter Cable 18 volt line up you are probably scratching your head wondering if you missed something. No you did not, and no you cannot buy this off the shelf at a big box store. But with a little bit of patience and ingenuity this is possible.

This is my first biscuit joiner, and I wanted a cordless one. A while back I bought into the 18 volt porter cable lineup (if I knew then what I know now I might have went with Makita or Milwaukee, but that is another discussion). It may not be perfect, but it works rather well at making biscuit joints. It is a one-trick pony and that is exactly what it is supposed to be. The only little issue is that it seems to work best with the larger LX battery pack than the smaller EX pack. The weakness of this seems to be the tolerances to which the fence is made. I can’t blame Porter Cable for that as it is a Harbor Freight part. The fences on DeWalt and Porter Cable biscuit joiners that I have seen in the stores are much better. I tried to find a cheap broken one on eBay but was unsuccessful. I would suspect that if dissected the gearing might be easier to work with than going the route that I took.

Here is a video of how I build it and it in operation:

View redSLED's profile

redSLED

#1 posted 07-19-2014 02:50 PM

Thanks for the review. A biscuit jointer is a tool that should last up to 10 years or more – hopefully your cordless batteries will last long or be supported then, or you can refurbish them yourself.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#2 posted 07-19-2014 08:14 PM

This is a very impressive hack. I’d never even think of attempting such. What is it about having a cordless biscuit joiner that made this worth the trouble? I love my cordless drills and drivers, and I can see some other tools that would be more convenient with cordless, but I would think a biscuit jointer would normally be used in the workshop (at least for me) where cords aren’t a big problem. But you may have a completely different work style.

Whatever the case, pretty dang impressive.

#3 posted 07-20-2014 05:16 AM

@CharlesA Did I truly need such a tool, well no, so I could have gotten by with a corded one but that would not have been as much fun! My shop unfortunately does not have many outlets. Thus having cordless tools like this lets me move them where I need them and not have to worry about creating a tripping hazard or needing to find an extension cord. Keeping cords straight for my table saw, air compressor, band saw, drill press, router, sander, and dust deputy system is more than enough.

View jonsajerk's profile

Thanks!

View steve_in_ohio's profile

steve_in_ohio

#6 posted 07-25-2014 01:17 PM

very cool. Never would have thought to do that

-- steve, simple and effective woodworking---