Knife Sharpening the easy way

Review by David White posted 07-17-2014 05:53 AM 3161 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Knife Sharpening the easy way Knife Sharpening the easy way Knife Sharpening the easy way Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not really a woodworking tool, but some of you may find this useful.

I have recently started to try my hand at knife making (which is way fun – more on that later) but have always found it tricky to get a really good edge on a curved blade – I know the theory well enough, but somehow I can never quite translate theory into practice.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was perusing amazon.com and stumbled across this Professional Fixed-angle Knife Sharpener System

The Amazon blurb was a little light on detail and didn’t fill me with confidence, but some further hunting around the internet soon lead me to some good reviews of this product, and given that is wasn’t horribly expensive (US$33.26) I thought I’d give it a try. I also found out that it was basically a much cheaper knock off of the US made Edge Pro system.

To be honest I didn’t have very high expectations, but this product exceeded them by 1000%. It’s a little tricky to use, but when you get used to it, you can create a razor sharp edge on pretty much any knife blade in a matter of minutes.

The basic premise is that you hold the blade on an angled table and pass one of 4 different grit hones over it with a sliding arm. This arrangement allows you to select any cutting angle you need and more importantly allows you to be totally consistent. It takes very little pressure and almost no time at all – about a minute with each of the 4 grit stones was enough for me to put a very good edge on a pretty blunt little pocket knife.

The instructions were also very good – clear and easy to read with lots of diagrams.

I can’t recommend this product enough – it really is an excellent tool.

You can find a video demo of the product here

-- http://thecraftsmanstudio.com

View David White's profile

David White

118 posts in 1946 days

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 07-17-2014 07:10 AM

Looks like a great sharpening system for getting a uniform edge. I’ve been using a paper wheel system, which I love, but it’s hard to keep consistent. I could see a jig like this being useful when filing the sides of knife blanks too.

-- Allen, Colorado

View johnLT's profile

johnLT

#2 posted 07-17-2014 03:50 PM

But, but, where is the motor!

View dgage's profile

dgage

#3 posted 07-18-2014 12:01 AM

Thanks for sharing. Interesting. I’ll need to look at that in more detail.

Here is another video working on a similar product. Its a long video with lots of talking so you might want to watch a bit and then jump to the 17 min mark where he shows how sharp the knife is after he sharpens it. Now that is Scary Sharp!

View David White's profile

David White

118 posts in 1946 days

#4 posted 07-18-2014 10:13 AM

Thanks Dgage – That’s how sharp i got mine too. I have to say the guy in the vid I posted did not give the best demo. He would have got better results if he had gone up through the grits rather than going straight for the 1500 grit stone – taking shortcuts like that never works!

-- http://thecraftsmanstudio.com

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#5 posted 07-18-2014 01:52 PM

I have been using a similar system for over a decade. It is called the Lansky Knife Sharpening System. And I agree, it is a great way to keep a blade sharp and to put an edge on a blade. Good for anyone, no matter what your hand eye coordination skills are. I can get a dull knife back to sharp with just a few passes on each side, once they have been in the Lansky system.

Great design!

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View dgage's profile

dgage

#6 posted 07-18-2014 05:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback David on how sharp you were able to get your knife.

By the way, the Edge Pro Apex system ($250) uses polish tapes above 2000 grit. Might be something to think of to get the knives that much sharper. Not sure if the blanks would fit the Dodocool sharpener or not.

Then again, if your knives are already slicing paper the same as in the video I posted, maybe 1500 is good enough.

View Roger's profile

#7 posted 07-20-2014 12:04 AM

thnx for your review. Looks like a decent product

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net