Does what it is designed to do

Review by JSB posted 07-16-2014 03:35 AM 3589 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Does what it is designed to do Does what it is designed to do Does what it is designed to do Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently Kreg contacted me and asked if it would be ok to send me one of their new Foreman machines to mess around with. They did not ask for a review or ask for me to return it.

I’ve been messing around with it for about a month now and can’t find any flaws or problems with the machine so I will give it a 5 star rating. It is obviously much faster than using one of their clamp down jigs. Even without dust collection the chip management is nice. I think this is geared toward someone who uses pocket holes frequently so if you only make one or two pocket hole projects per year than this might not be the best option for you.

A huge chunk of the questions I get asked are in regards to tools so I figured I would put together a long picture filled article on what I think of the machine. For those interested here it is:

-- Jay - http://www.jayscustomcreations.com or http://www.woodworkingwithsketchup.com

View JSB's profile

JSB

View copcarcollector's profile

copcarcollector

#1 posted 07-16-2014 04:44 AM

Thank you for the in depth, unbiased review.

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

#2 posted 07-16-2014 10:36 AM

Always good to know. I have looked at this unit a couple times as a possibility.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View Roger's profile

#3 posted 07-16-2014 12:49 PM

Wow! 400 bux on Amazon… Geeesh!

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#4 posted 07-16-2014 01:32 PM

Thanks for posting the review. I wish tool companies would send me free stuff…

I must say, the review on your site makes it look much more solidly constructed than the photos on Kreg’s website. It looks more worth the $400 the way you’ve presented it.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#5 posted 07-16-2014 02:21 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ll take a look at the upcoming machinery show.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#6 posted 07-16-2014 09:00 PM

That’s a good review! I didn’t know they send free stuff to their customers for testing ; what’s the criteria! I like free stuff.

View pneufab's profile

pneufab

#7 posted 07-16-2014 10:07 PM

That s a good review! I didn t know they send free stuff to their customers for testing ; what s the criteria! I like free stuff.

- Surfside

This is just my opinion, but I think these manufacturers catch wind of the more popular youtube type sites. Wood Whisperer, Jay, Mere Mortals, etc and send them stuff to “hopefully” get a favorable review on their products. They must trust in their product if they send it for an unbiased opinion. It could very easily blow up in their face so I am sure they are careful who they send them to for a fair evaluation.

If your “YouTube” channel consists of you hitting things with a hammer, swearing and complaining about everything, I doubt anyone will send you anything… :)

#8 posted 07-17-2014 02:46 AM

Looks like a great piece for some one like you say that uses pocket holes frequently

-- Norman

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#9 posted 07-18-2014 01:56 PM

Not something I would be able to put to proper use since I do not do a lot of pocket jig jointery but I am sure there are those with a small woodworking business that could definitely benefit from it.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

#10 posted 07-20-2014 04:50 PM

I had considered the contractor style Foreman but at nearly $800, I had to say no. I do enough pocket holes to probably justify this newer hobbyist version, but for now mine is working just fine.

I am glad to see Kreg trying to bridge the gap for those that could use this tool.

Mike