Accidental Work Bench

Review by whope posted 07-14-2014 09:28 PM 2601 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Accidental Work Bench No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had bought this kitchen cart when living in Brussels. It wasn’t needed here in the US so it ended up, like so many other un-wanted things, in my shop.

I have a very small shop and I pine for the day I have a shop large enough to fit a decent sized work bench. For now, I have found this kitchen table (39L x 17W x 35H) to exactly what this shop needed.

It’s the right height to work as an out-feed table. It has two slide-through drawers where I store my owner’s manuals. I can remove the drawers and use my cabinet clamps all the way around the edge. It has a couple of shelves where I can store projects that are waiting for my attention. Wheels on one end to make in easy to move yet stable enough for assembling projects.

Best thing to accidentally find it’s way into my shop.

View jordanp's profile

jordanp

#1 posted 07-15-2014 02:21 PM

That’s pretty cool.. and when you get a large bench you can turn that into your sharpening station cart.

-- J. Palmer Woodworks - Rockwall TX -I woke up this morning thinking “man, I really hope someone posted some soul scarring sh*t on LJs today.” -- - Billy

#2 posted 07-16-2014 04:27 AM

Recycling/repurposing is wonderful is it not

-- Norman

#3 posted 07-18-2014 10:45 PM

Oh my , you are are a woodworker and buy wood products at IKEA , Shame on you for not building it in the first place. :)

#4 posted 07-19-2014 02:15 PM

- Richard

Considering: – My tools were in Dallas, TX when I was in Brussels – Wife wanted it now, not in a few weeks/months

Sometimes you have make the hard call. :)

Went to look at your shop and projects. Why the empty profile?

#5 posted 07-21-2014 09:33 PM

whope , the reason for no shop or projects is that my shop currently consists of space in an outside carport that tools can not be left in when not working so there is really not much chance of doing anything at the moment. I have gotten a Membership at the San Jose Techshop so I hope to be able to start doing some things there soon.
I follow this site in hopes of learning some new things to apply when I start getting into the shop there or have a place to setup my own.

I understand about the wife want’s it now thing so your off the hook for the IKEA thing. :)

#6 posted 07-22-2014 04:01 PM

Good luck with finding a shop to use.

View ToddJB's profile

ToddJB

#7 posted 08-11-2014 08:31 PM

Whope, I saw that exact same on in their 50% off area. My wife said “I want this for the kitchen” and I retorted with “But, I can totally make you something way better, and custom fit for our space” and she replied, “Yes, I’m sure you can, but I do not want to wait a year”. It now sits in our kitchen.

-- I came - I sawed - I over-built

#8 posted 08-11-2014 08:34 PM

Whope, I saw that exact same on in their 50% off area. My wife said “I want this for the kitchen” and I retorted with “But, I can totally make you something way better, and custom fit for our space” and she replied, “Yes, I m sure you can, but I do not want to wait a year”. It now sits in our kitchen.

- ToddJB

Yep the Wife want’s , the Wife gets. Or it’s off to the Dog House for you.

View matt352's profile

matt352

#9 posted 08-21-2014 01:50 AM

Too funny, I picked up one of these as a table for a small milling machine about 10 years ago, 5 stars. It was cheap, had drawers for tooling, and was easy to move around or stay put.

I added a “k brace” to the back to stiffen it up (two diagonal 1×3’s glues and screwed).

As far as I know, my old shop mate still has it, good to know they are still making them.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#10 posted 09-12-2014 04:44 PM

What a coincidence, I have the larger three drawer version of this (no wheels) as a side board in my kitchen since 2007. Cheap and looks good with my mostly maple trimmings.

It WOULD make a good work bench!!