Jet JJP-12 Planer/Jointer combo (Planer mode)

Review by GaryB posted 2105 days ago 10123 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet JJP-12 Planer/Jointer combo (Planer mode) Jet JJP-12 Planer/Jointer combo (Planer mode) Jet JJP-12 Planer/Jointer combo (Planer mode) Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here are several pics of the Jet planer/jointer combo machine in planer mode. Conversion from jointer to planer is really very easy. Loosen 2 lever locks, lift the beds ( which move in one piece with fence), swing dust shroud into planing position, then finally activate the feed rollers. The only time consuming part (20-30 seconds) is raising the bed up to desired position. The bed has to be lowered to about 6 inches for the dust port to clear, so to plane 1 inch stock, you have to raise the bed 5 inches or so. The bed was not quite parallel to the knives from the factory, but easy to adjust to plane to a uniform thickness. Dust collection was very poor initially, until I learned that my 5HP cyclone tends to pull closed an internal baffle, but after placing a small bolt to hold the baffle in place, the dust and chip collection is excellent even taking very thick passes. Given the time for raising the bed, the dust collection issue, and the fact that the planer is only 12 inches wide, I gave the planer mode a 4 out of 5, but actual function seems to be a 5 out of 5, no snipe and a very uniform surface.

This machine is a quantum leap from my Dewalt 735 planer (much, much quieter) and my Jet 6 inch jointer. I really appreciate the space savings (both the space of the machine itself and the required work space around it for stock to pass). I feel that is an excellent value at around $2000, as I would have never justified the cost of a 12 inch stand alone jointer, but some might argue that a 12 inch planer is on the small size.

Overall, I am very happy with this addition to the shop.

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks for the review. Man, I wish I had room for something like this!!

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Festool4's profile

Festool4

I have been considering a similar upgrade. I have a Dewalt 735 and a 6” Powermatic Jointer. This Jet is certainly on top of the list. I’m also considering Laguna’s new combo units. I’m going to give it a little time and see how happy people are with them. If money was no object, I would either buy a Mini Max or Felder.

-- Festool4

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

Hi Gary

I presume the baffle is in the swing dust shroud? Is there any way to show where you put the bolt? What type of mobile base are you using?I have a 5 HP cyclone and am considering getting one of these machines. Thanks!

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great machine.

Tom,
If you look at the first picture, you will see a small black chain connected to the on/off switch housing. Follow the chain up to the bolt sticking out of the dust shroud. There are two holes present, if you place the bolt in the lower one, the internal baffle can not move up. This trick really works. I am using a HTC 300 mobile base with some 1/2 inch BB plywood. I will not be moving the machine often, but I may need to shift it around occasionally for longer stock, cleaning, etc.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

How did you determine the planer beds were not aligned with the head? If I go this route I would love to know how you checked for this…

Thanks,

Chris,
Nothing magic, I just planed a board. I measured that one edge was about .001 thicker than the other, indicating that the planer bed was not quite parallel with the knives. Before making any major adjustments, I may try locking the bed height to see if that changes the bed position.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Thanks for the tip Gary!

View scottb's profile

scottb

Sounds like a good solution for my shop, don’t have the room, budget or room for both… and I’ve put off a couple projects for want of a jointer. (Yeah I know I can use planes or make a sled for my router…)

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

thats a cool tool! i’m thinking about something like this for my shop if i can’t get two stand along units. great shop saver and the 12” jointer must be great!

View fidelfs's profile

fidelfs

#11 posted 2058 days ago

I just received mine 2 days ago and it is fully functional tonight in its one mobile base.

I got a question to Garyb, There was a box with the blade cover, hex tools, a wrench and a something that I cannot find what it is.

It is made of aluminum and it is rectangular in shape, hollow and it has notch in one side.
Do you know the use of that thing?

#12 posted 2057 days ago

I got one too, but no idea what it is for. Doesn’t seem to described in the manual. Maybe just something to drive us crazy with curiosity?

Enjoy,

View Chris Lawrence's profile

Chris Lawrence

Hey Guys,

I think that little aluminum block is a knife setting block. Kinda silly, but it’s used to make sure your knives are parallel and at the same height as your outfeed table.

-Chris

-- - you mean I have to set up each and every new tool I buy?