A real diamond near Orlando Fl.

Review by MarkTheFiddler posted 12 days ago 1333 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A real diamond near Orlando Fl. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Howdy,

The kids and I just finished an awesome time at Disney world. Tomorrow morning begins the long return trip. I can’t wait to get home. I have 6 beautiful boards in the van. I just want to start staring at them and dreaming.

Today I met a true woodworking master and conservationist. Mr Bob Hughes is keeping old fallen, dead standing and cleared trees out of the landfills. Bob mills the trees on his property and sells them at very low prices.

Bob is working on a beautiful relief and burning project of a Senator tree that met an untimely demise due to the carelessness of a drug addict. The tree was hollow but still strong and full of life when it was used for a Bon fire chimney. Bob found out it was going to be discarded then stepped in to rescue the wood. The state of Florida realized that Bob had the right of it and put the tree up for competitive bid. That was fine with Bob. A piece of this countries natural history was saved for future generations. His relief /wood burning will be featured in a Florida museum.

Bob’s son, Tim, has joined in the business and was out back sawing some wood that dulled the blade with every pass. Even they were a little mystified about the log. As near as they can figure, it is Cuban mahogany.

As for me and my experience as a woodworker, I met someone who I can spend years learning from. He taught me quite a few techniques and showed me boards with stunning figuring. I was in heaven immediately. I said, I’ll take it, I’ll take it, I’ll take it to the boards he was pulling right off the top of his piles. I knew I could never fit all that beautiful lumber in the van so I had to stop. When we figured out the damage it was a grand total of 175 with his 3% add on for credit card. I figure. I’d pay double anywhere else.

Bob spent over an hour with me and gave me a tour of his general store museum. We went back to his home/mill to settle up.

My LJ friends, go see him if you can swing it. He is just a skip and a jump from Daytona beach and an hour from Disney World. He has an unassuming website and actually lists the prices per board foot. Enjoy!

When I get back home, I’ll add photos of my lumber. Until then my friends, start planning your trip.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Great story and interesting review—thanks. Also, jealously await pictures of your wood gloat. LOL

View Sawdustmaker115's profile

Sawdustmaker115

I plan on heading down to Florida some time soon, Orlando is just a skip and a jump from the house down there, so i will check this place out when i get down there. Thanks for the info/review!!! :)

-- Anthony--http://knottywoodshop.weebly.com/

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

All the good stuff is on the other side of the country (:

We spent our honey moon at Disney world orlando many years ago. It was fun.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Mark that is a great story and a super find for you. It is sure nice to find people who appreciate the value of tre for it wood it provides and keeping it from being wasted. I know in Arizona where we spend the winter if a nice tree like a mesquite makes it to the landfill, you cannot take any of the wood out no matter how great a tree it might be.
Down in Casa Grande, Az I have found a place called Dead Tree Salvage run by a super guy named John Goodwin and I put out a blog on him for his pistachio wood!

Like you, when we just took a trip fishing in Michigan upper peninsula, I found a saw mill in Rudyard where I picked up 5 10 ft long boards and had to bring them back in the boat. 3 were curly maple and 2 were birdseye maple. I cannot find that around here and he cannot find walnut up there!!

If I ever get to Orlando, I will look up the Old General Store.. Thanks so much for this post!!!!!!!!!!!....Cheers, Jim

Howdy,

We are on the way home and stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast. Good to see you all chiming in.

John, I don’t know if I can gloat much. However, I am one seriously happy camper. ;)

Anthony, can you believe it was a high point of the trip?

Uh oh – time to eat.

MarkTheFiddler

Lan, I’m sorry brother. I know the feeling. I can’t quite run off to the lumber yard in Geneva Florida at a bit over 1100 miles either.

Jim, thanks for the great story yerself! Bob didn’t say anything about going to the landfills. I think I misstated. I believe he claims the lumber before it makes it to the landfills.
At one time, he used to pull uprooted trees out of the rivers. Since those cypress trees are rather desirable, the permit is 6000 ayear. He doesn’t do that anymore. He did sell me a river-recovered board. It is simultaneously the least attractive and most expensive board I bought. Personally, I like the thought of where the board has been and the history. The history will be the main feature of r/r cypress in the projects I use it on.

View Jbower500's profile

Jbower500

Well guess what I have purchase from Bob and do so regularly. Yea it is tough living here in Florida but oh the rewards. Bob and his son are both very good woodmasters. I trust him completely. Surprising that someone not from this are would find the Olde General Store in Geneva

Howdy J,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Please thank Bob for me on your next visit.

I lucked out by searching the Web when I was in Florida. I believe I’ll do that for every trip I make. In fact, it probably wouldn’t hurt to search for millls along any route I travel. Oh man now I’m getting a hair brained idea to make a 3000 mile round trip to stop by mills all over the place. Now I’m getting a little insane. I’ll end it there. ;)

View clieb91's profile

clieb91

Looks like next we head down I will have to take the truck. Thanks for the tip.

CtL

-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)

Great end of trip, checked out the website, very impressive

-- Norman

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Sounds like a GREAT Find!

... yep… it’s all on the Right side of the Country… nothing, apparently, on the Left side! :(