Mortise and Tenon Joinery

Review by Roger posted 07-10-2014 11:37 PM 1811 views 3 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mortise and Tenon Joinery No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First I want to say thank you to Hendrik Varju for giving this very fine, 5, yes, I said 5, DVD’s as a gift to the fine pages of Lumberjocks. Also, thank you Cricket for setting up things for all and any of us to be the proud owner of this type of prize. I want to say, almost 11 hours, yes, 11 hours of the many different, and intricately detailed how-to’s, and explanations of how and why’s of the fine art of Mortise and Tenon Joinery. WHEW, that was a mouthful. I hope I said it all right. I took about 3 days, at a few hours a day watching this 5-dvd box set from Hendrik Varju. He is very in-depth at showing, sharing, and teaching the art of mortise and tenon joinery. Also, there is some bonus footage of some sharpening hollowing chisels, and through wedged mortise and tenon joinery as well. A very fine set of dvd’s. I want to thank you, Hendrik, Cricket, and this gr8 site called Lumberjocks for this fine prize. I dabbled into the world of mortise and tenon joinery a little in the past. I used it in a few of my projects. There was still a lot to learn from Hendrik. I will arm myself with this knowledge and hopefully produce some fine projects with mortise and tenons in the future. Thanks again. I’m sure his other dvd’s are all worth checking out. A man or woman can never have too much how-to, and/or tips. :)

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Roger's profile

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 07-11-2014 12:16 AM

Interesting Roger, but I can’t find it. Can you provide a link please?

-- I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#2 posted 07-11-2014 12:49 AM

Am I correct in understanding that you won this 5-disc set as a prize on a LJ contest? Congratulations! I had to do some research on the author and would share the following site to save other LJs some time and so I can find it after I favorite your review: http://passionforwood.com/woodworking/dvds-mortise-and-tenon-joinery.htm Thanks to you, Roger, and to Cricket—just, next time I hope I see the contest before the prize is awarded so I can enter. ;-)

View lew's profile (online now)

lew

#3 posted 07-11-2014 02:09 AM

Congrats, Roger!

Appears to be a mighty nice set.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Guy Dunlap's profile

Guy Dunlap

#4 posted 07-11-2014 02:12 AM

11 hours on just mortise and tenon joinery? It must be a very comprehensive DVD! Congrats Roger.

-- Guy, Indianapolis, IN - https://www.youtube.com/user/GuysWoodshop

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5218 posts in 2031 days

#5 posted 07-11-2014 03:43 AM

Now we will see a lot of Mortise and tenon joinery in your work Roger. Congratulations on your win…!

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#6 posted 07-11-2014 03:52 AM

Good to see you win Roger. Learning is always the biggest factor of woodworking.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View Woodenwizard's profile

Woodenwizard

#7 posted 07-11-2014 04:07 AM

Congratulations Roger. Can’t wait to see a project that demonstrates some new technique.

-- John, Colorado's (Wooden Wizard)

View eddie's profile

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

#10 posted 07-11-2014 06:01 AM

Lucky you – I’m sure you learned a lot.

HV is one of the most thorough teachers out there in DVD land. I’ve got his router and TS series because I didn’t know squat about those tools at the time. Can’t remember how long they are but they are thorough – I think pretty much the same length as this DVD set. For beginners, you learn everything upside down and sideways after you’re done. I still refer to them every now and then, there’s so much information that it’s impossible to remember everything after one viewing.

View stefang's profile

stefang

13530 posts in 2057 days

#11 posted 07-11-2014 11:00 AM

It always amazes me that even though we think we know a lot about a certain subject that someone can come up with much more expertise and learning points that we couldn’t have imagined. Congrats on your win and your new found knowledge Roger.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Roger's profile

#12 posted 07-11-2014 12:57 PM

Thnx everybody. Sorry I didn’t post a link. Thnx John. Here it is again: http://passionforwood.com/woodworking/dvds-mortise-and-tenon-joinery.htm

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View hotncold's profile

hotncold

#13 posted 07-11-2014 01:35 PM

Congratulations Roger – Awesome set. (I don’t think I know enough about any subject to teach for 11 hours)

-- Dennie - Tennessee - Every Pro was once an Amateur. Every Expert was once a Beginner. So dream Big and start Now!

View jinkyjock's profile

jinkyjock

#14 posted 07-13-2014 01:53 PM

Congratulations Roger,
A fine prize indeed.
You will be (mentally) exhausted after such a marathon viewing session.
But the knowledge you have gained will be invaluable for YEARS to come.
Cheers, Jinky (James).