review Oliver 4230 jointer

Review by bons posted 07-10-2014 02:57 PM 3344 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
review Oliver 4230 jointer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I posted a couple of pics of my new Oliver 4230 jointer and have started to tune the machine up and learn all its little secrets for best performance. The jointer has a Shelix spiral cutter head. I looked at a lot of 8” jointers and liked the look and weight of the Oliver at the price point listed. I have not run a lot of stock through it but, so far, the machine is extremely quiet, powerful and cuts like a dream. The bed is 75” long and provides ample space for running long boards for straightening and squaring. The key to getting good cuts is, of course, getting the outfeed and infeed table set at the right height to insure good, clean, smooth cuts. After fiddling around with the outfeed table height and cutter height and infeed table removal amount, it is producing good, straight stock with no snipe at all. Taking a little off at a time is the key. I would strongly recommend the machine at the price point they are currently selling for.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#1 posted 07-10-2014 03:14 PM

She’s a beaut, congratulations!

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

3047 posts in 2030 days

#2 posted 07-10-2014 07:44 PM

Where is the Oliver made?

View Fishinbo's profile

Fishinbo

#3 posted 07-10-2014 09:13 PM

I’m curious too where they make their machine. It looks great, enjoy!

#4 posted 07-10-2014 09:56 PM

I believe they are made in Taiwan. There was some talk the machines were shipped over here in parts and assembled here. I don’t know. The jointer arrived fully assembled in a large crate, except for some odds and ends. So maybe there is some truth to that. The 10” model and up have Baldor motors. Mine does not. The 10” weighs in at a 1000 lbs, so that was little to much for me to contemplate getting into basement workshop.The move was rather easy as we dissasembled the top portion from the base and moved (4 of us) the bed portion first. We then used the crate assembly the machine was sitting in as a lorry with 2×4”s slid under the base and the 4 of us carefully lifted and walked into basement. About a 10 minute operation. It was nice having the machine fully assembled and not having the job of figuring out arcane directions on how to put together. I am going to buy a 15” planer here shortly. I will go with the spiral cutter head without a doubt. The Grizzly has a nice machine (I purchased a 5HP 1023 RLWX late last year) and Grizz seems to have the best value. Probably will consider the Oliver too.

Chris

View HillbillyShooter's profile (online now)

HillbillyShooter

#5 posted 07-11-2014 01:06 AM

Nice review, and although I know nothing about the current Oliver line, I do know you’ll love the Byrd Shelix cutter.

View Ger21's profile

Ger21

682 posts in 1917 days

#6 posted 07-11-2014 03:41 AM

What is that price, if you don’t mind me asking?

-- Gerry, http://g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

#7 posted 07-11-2014 12:23 PM

Not at all. $2140 all in, including freight.

View bowedcurly's profile

bowedcurly

#8 posted 07-12-2014 04:48 PM

Nice Jointer hope you enjoy it for a long time.

-- Staining killed the wood<<<<<>>>>>Dyeing gave it life

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#9 posted 07-22-2014 11:19 PM

What I would give for another 2 inches!!!!!!

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View adifrot's profile

adifrot

#10 posted 01-28-2015 07:54 PM

Nice to hear that you are finding success with your 8” jointer. I purchased the 4230 in 2012 and have had nothing but good things to say on its performance. Tough, accurate and smooth operation all around.
I have run several hundred bf of hardwoods over the cutter heads and have only rotated one single cutter.
It is a champion in my shop.
I have worried about the chance of motor issues on other imports but so far this one is a keeper.
Good luck on yours. Have you found a source for replacement cutters yet?

-- Only need space,time & energy to getter DONE.

#11 posted 01-28-2015 11:26 PM

I am very happy with the Oliver Jointer. I just took delivery of the 4420 5 horse HC 16” planer. It’s a beautiful machine. It’s hard to figure out sometimes what equipment is really worth the money vs. other brands. I have a Grizz 1023 TS and am happy with that is well. I am a believer in buying the best you can afford. You only get what you pay for. I just like the heavy cast iron construction of the Oliver line. I will write a full review on planer once I get set up. I have not spent the time in my workshop I would have liked, so, my cutters are in good shape

Chris