Jet JJP-12 Planer/Jointer combo (Jointer mode)

Review by GaryB posted 2207 days ago 5762 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet JJP-12 Planer/Jointer combo (Jointer mode) Jet JJP-12 Planer/Jointer combo (Jointer mode) Jet JJP-12 Planer/Jointer combo (Jointer mode) Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here are several pictures of the Jet JJP-12 jointer/planer combo machine in Jointer mode. I picked up the crated machine with a small flatbed trailer. 3 of us (myself, my 14 year old neighbor, and my 115 lb wife) were able to slide it off of the trailer, then off the palate and onto the mobile base easily, despite the machine weighing over 500 Lbs. It came almost fully assembled in the crate. Only had to install the portion of the guard over the blades, a plug on the end of the cord, and clean the oily sludge smeared all over the exposed metal parts. The tables were coplaner, and the knives were well set from the factory. The fence is light, made from aluminum and sheet metal, but needs to be light since it is lifted with the tables ( no movement needed during conversion). The fence is very stable when tightened in place, and I can not imagine that its weight will ever be a problem. It is much larger and straighter than the fence on my former Jet 6 inch jointer. After this brief set up, the machine worked very smoothly, but it will take a few more passes to gain confidence in my technique passing the work piece under the Euro style guard. Dust collection seems almost perfect. Overall, I am very pleased with the jointer mode of this combo machine.
I will include several pics and a brief review of the planer mode in another post.
Gary

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

That thing looks fantastic!

Are you ready to part with your planer? Is the fence solid, flat and 45 from end to end?

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

GaryB

I sold both my planer and jointer via Craig’s list about 2 weeks ago. I feel that the new owner’s got good machines, and I was able to pay for nearly half of the new machine with the proceeds. The fence if very solid when secured in place, and it is very flat in both planes. It measures just over 43 inches long, and will tilt to 45 degrees (only will tilt away from operator).

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

This is the mode I would buy it for!

Thanks for the review!

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Thanks for the review GaryB.. I have been lusting after this machine for a couple of months. Do they offer it with a carbide/helical head?

GaryB

Did not consider a helical cutter for now, just due to cost. Not sure what Jet or the aftermarket currently has to offer.
Gary

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

Great way to finance it. I’m afraid my planer would fetch ~ 25 bucks LOL

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

View Siegel_KenEvil's profile

Siegel_KenEvil

I’ve been looking at all available 12 inch combo machines and the JET seems to be my favorite because you don’t have to move the fence or guard to convert it from jointer to planer mode but…

is you table not completely machined? I looked at one at Performance Line tool and the jointer beds had a bunch of flutes or something. This was only on the combo machine. Their stand alone jointer’s beds were completely machined. I’m wondering if yours was similar and why would they do this.

-- Scott