Grizzly G0582 24: Wide Belt Sander

Review by BoardSMITH posted 07-03-2014 02:10 PM 1986 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0582 24: Wide Belt Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After two months of hard use I feel somewhat qualified to write a decent review. So here goes.

Crating and packing – Blah, blah, blah, etc…

Delivery – Blah, blah, blah, etc…

Instruction manual – Blah, blah, blah, etc…

Fit and finish, Blah, blah, blah, etc…

Now that all the fluff is out of the way.

I purchased a Grizzly wide belt sander because I was unable to find another on the market of that size. My budget would handle a 24” sander but not a 37” so I settled on Grizzly. The overall weight was another concern. My shop has wood floors and I wasn’t enthused with having a 2500 pound sander on the floor and taking the chance for some possible future floor damage.

The first issue was the hold down rollers; they were no where near to the position they needed to be in. But a quick check of the manual taught me how to adjust them in a flash.

The next issue was the digital readout; again it was no where near to what it was supposed to read. Again a quick check of the manual taught me how to adjust it in a flash. However, the readout and the actual reading with the calipers I am using doesn’t jive. So I have come to trust the calipers more than the digital read out since it looks closer to the tape rulers I use.

The next issue was the feed table being out of alignment. The right side was 0.010 lower and the call to a Grizzly tech gave me the information that 0.005 was considered within tolerances. The tech had to read a manual so I really had no help other than to listen to the tech read the manual instructions. So I read the manual myself and found I could raise the right and lower the left and I am now somewhere around 0.002 to 0.003 from dead even.

The next issue was the platen will not allow the sander to sand a thin piece flat but produces a somewhat curved surface with the edges somewhat lower. I fixed that quickly, I removed the platen

The learning curve isn’t that steep but I found I had to be extra careful. When choosing a starting point on the digital read out, if I choose something between 0.005 and 0.000 the machine would automatically choose the nearest 0.005 stop. Why the read out will allow me to enter something in the middle is not clear since it goes to the next closest reading.

A suggestion to Grizzly; the indentions under the sander are a little to small for a fork lift to get the forks under enough to raise the machine easily. I would suggest to either make the recesses taller or providing a couple of eye hooks on top as lifting points.

I would also suggest having some adjusting legs added to the machine to make leveling to the floor easier and more positive. My wood floor is not level and leveling the sander was a real challenge. Like the Timesavers sanders, rollers would also be a help to smaller shops.

As for sanding, the G0582 does that very well! Last year I produced about 1200 cutting boards, this year looks to be much more, the sander has performed well and works quickly helping to keep the production running smoothly. I was renting time on a sander at another shop and having this one here has helped to save time and the trouble of having to load and unload.

The only minor issue is the 25×60 belts aren’t stocked everywhere. I found a commercial abrasives supplier very close to my shop and they were able to order the needed belts from Mirka. The 60 grit belts were less then 1/2 the price of Klingspor or Woodworkers Supply and that included UPS delivery.

All-in-all I would give this sander 4 1/2 stars for quality, price and how it performs. The only real detriment is the digital readout. I realize not everyone will want or can afford a wide belt sander but if you are looking for one the Grizzly G0582 seems to be a stand out performer so far.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#1 posted 07-03-2014 06:52 PM

You may want to try Industrial abrasives , they are very nice people to deal with. Good luck on your purchase and hope you have many years of good usage from the machine.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View redryder's profile

redryder

#2 posted 07-04-2014 05:56 AM

BoardSMITH….....what kind of lazy review are you trying to give us??

A review of how a woodworking tool actually works. Why would we want to know about such goingings on??

No info on the packaging and shipping?? Did the delivery driver give you a hug?? Was the machine wrapped in bubble wrap and greased to the max??

And no info on the ”FIT AND FINISH”?? To this day I have no idea what that means but to a lot of people I do know that it is really important. After paying the bill and providing months and years of loyal service, the ”FIT AND FINISH” is something that must matter a lot.

This machine sounds like a solid performer after your months of use. Great review but I bet a lot of people will miss the Blah, blah, blah, etc…

-- mike...............

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#3 posted 07-04-2014 11:26 PM

I would tell the whiners, blah, blah, blah. LOL!

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View shopmania's profile

shopmania

#4 posted 07-06-2014 01:40 AM

Nice review. I would love to have one of these! How much did you pay for it?

-- Tim, Myrtle Beach, DrTim@ONeillChiro.com- Just one more tool, that's all I need! :)

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#5 posted 07-06-2014 02:32 AM

The pricing is posted on the Grizzly web site.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

#6 posted 07-11-2014 06:23 PM

Great review!

I think DRO’s resolution is only 0.005” like those wixey gauges so it always jumps to the closest 0.005”. I agree though they should only allow you to enter a 5 or 0 for the last digit.

Also I see on the Grizzly site that its Approx. shipping weight: 1573 lbs. not 2500 pounds. I looked it up because I couldn’t believe a 24” sander could weigh over a ton.

Can you tell us about the pros/cons of why you chose a belt sander vs drum sander? I’ve only ever considered those open end drum sanders since you could theoretically double the width by turning the boards around and running them through on the other side and for a small shop like mine I need all the space that saves.

View timbertailor's profile (online now)

timbertailor

#7 posted 07-18-2014 02:05 PM

Nice review. One of the tools I will be purchasing when I move and have more room.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed