New tool!!!!!

Review by chadgr posted 06-30-2014 04:09 PM 3095 views 3 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New tool!!!!! New tool!!!!! New tool!!!!! Click the pictures to enlarge them

So yesterday my very own centipede saw horse pro was delivered personally by the UK Distributer. He asked me to share my thoughts on the product.

First things first the communication.
From the very beginning I was new exactly what was going on with production and delivery. Every time I contacted the company there was a reply within the hour. They provided awesome customer service including a personal delivery.

Moving on to the tool itself, when the box arrived it looked in good shape, the sawhorse itself is packaged in a tough and durable zipped fabric case, the zip is heavy duty (usually a point of failure on cheap bags). Within the bag is the ‘Sawhorse pro’. First impressions of the sawhorse were that it is strong and durable. Without waiting I spread the sawhorse open and wow it was incredible how quick it was. I tested the legs for strength and put my weight on two legs not even a bend or deflection.

The accessories are made from yellow plastic they are good quality and the hold downs really do clamp well the ‘X-Cups’ for the 2×4

Looks of the sawhorse are good they it is a gloss black with white feet and tops. It looks good on a worksite.
Working on uneven ground worked well too my drive has a few bumps and the sawhorse levelled out and kept my plywood on as many points of contact as was possible.

All in all this tool is utterly incredible the design and execution has worked perfectly. Centipede are now producing and distributing so if you want yours visit there website at http://centipedetool.com Watch the videos and order yours!

-- Chad Griffiths Vist my Etsy Shop https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Everythingwood1?ref=si_shop

View chadgr's profile

chadgr

#1 posted 07-01-2014 04:07 AM

Not sure what to make of this saw horse. The concept seems good, but will it hold up over time or is it built like the easy pop up awnings that wear out in no time at all. Also I see you live in the UK, do you know if they sell them here in the US as yet, and if so, where

Thanks for the information

View chadgr's profile

chadgr

#2 posted 07-01-2014 09:58 AM

thanks Larry, the sawhorse is designed in USA I am not sure if they are available for purchase as of yet from big stores such as Home depot ETC but I know that centipede are working on it. I understand your concern for the wear and tear and since there are more moving parts it is more likely to break however everything is riveted or bolted with strong hardware the legs and cross braces are made from steel and can hold a lot of weight. In my opinion I believe that it will hold up over time but I guess the only way to find out is to wait the time.
Chad

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#3 posted 07-01-2014 12:24 PM

Looks useful – if you have a perfectly flat floor at a job site. I’d like to see what happens outside on a lawn or in a driveway.

View TheDane's profile (online now)

TheDane

#4 posted 07-01-2014 01:26 PM

dhazelton—Check this out:

I have had mine for about 6 weeks now, using it both in the shop and out in the yard refinishing lawn furniture.

The thing is surprisingly strong, lightweight, and really easy to manage. Chad’s review is spot on.

#5 posted 07-01-2014 09:52 PM

Gerry that seems it would work anywhere you placed it. Just wondering how long it would hold up…I know, nothing lasts forever anymore. Only time will tell I guess. Seems to be pretty strong. One question…if you are cutting up a sheet of plywood, do you need to use runner pieces to keep from cutting through to the supports?

-- Larry in sunny and warm Hawaii,

View TheDane's profile (online now)

TheDane

#6 posted 07-02-2014 12:28 AM

” ... do you need to use runner pieces to keep from cutting through to the supports?”

I would imagine so. I just haven’t run into that situation yet.

#7 posted 07-02-2014 11:36 AM

Hi all, hope you don’t mind the company chiming in here to share a few photos:

1.) Here is an uneven ground shot we did over a pothole in my driveway. The inventor is standing on top of the Centipede PRO Sawhorse where 5-6 of the legs weren’t even touching the ground. I’m not claiming it works everywhere, I just thought this is relevant to the comments above…

2.) The P-Tops on top of each strut are designed to prevent the saw blade from hitting the steel of the Centipede. They are replaceable for this reason. One of our early supporters, Jonathan Mendoza shared this photo of the results of a mis-cut:

Hope you don’t mind me sticking around and trying to answer questions. I’m not here to pitch, but I can’t help but share details on our baby!

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#8 posted 07-02-2014 01:05 PM

If there were more contact points you could rip a sheet of plywood with no additional supports. If you wanted to put 2×4 stringers on the top can you zip a screw up through the one hole on those white caps to hold it?

View Rob's profile

Rob

#9 posted 07-02-2014 05:31 PM

Chad, thanks for the review! I’ve had my eye on this ever since I found out I missed the fundraising campaign.

Gerry and CentipedeTool, thanks for the extra info and pictures. I hope I see the Centipede Sawhorse at Lowe’s soon!

#10 posted 07-02-2014 05:57 PM

@dhazelton
As is, we expect you’d be able to rip a sheet of plywood, the only additional support being the need to clamp the board down to the sawhorse. Here is a shot of some very thin paneling on the prototype unit, it is well supported. We’re open to design changes as this process continues to unfold, so I look forward to feedback from end users on this concern.

We took a shot at making it even easier to put a couple 2×4’s on this thing with the included X-Cups. If the stability of screwing the boards into the Centipede Sawhorse is needed, that could work, though we’d recommend taking the time to drill out a hole and use a bolt of some sort. The P-Tops would take and hold screws, but, depending on how often this is needed, I’d expect you to go through a fair share of P-Tops over time.
X-Cups in use in a photo from Stu of StusShed.com

Just the X-Cups:

One more showing the application but without something on top:

Pics appear to be half off the box. Right-click on the pic and choose “open image in new tab” to see the whole thing…

#11 posted 07-02-2014 06:11 PM

@rob
As you were posting that, we were on a conference call where we came to a final agreement with a massive home improvement retailer. Because of the sensitivity and newness of the relationship, this comment isn’t the official announcement, but I can now confidently say the Centipede Sawhorse will be available in a store near you when they do become available. We’ll definitely be keeping everyone posted on a launch date!

Ugh, I hate plugging in this venue, but I’m going to add this link for the convenience of anyone who wants to get on our waiting list. I’m only going to use this list to send out 2 emails: 1 when I can announce the results of today’s call and 1 when the Centipede Sawhorses have landed in communities across America.
Sign up on our back-order notification list here: centipedetool.com/sawhorse-withdrawal/

#12 posted 07-02-2014 06:15 PM

Thanks for the additional pictures. I see those X cups would be great holding a piece of 2X4 to hold the wood and would not be damaged it the 2×4 is cut through. I’m liking this more and more. I see it useful when cutting large sheet goods outside and laying smaller pieces on a sheet of plywood for spray painting (I do this allot as well).

This might be a great place for anyone that has used or that owns one of these to talk about it

#13 posted 07-04-2014 05:56 AM

Appears to be a well thought out unit

-- Norman

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

1955 posts in 622 days

#14 posted 07-04-2014 10:07 AM

Looks like a most awesome unit for sheet goods. Perhaps not for a framing carpenter, but for a cabinet installer, or trim carpenter this would quickly become indispensable.

A hobbyist would also benefit greatly. Basically a full support work station that fits on a shelf. I like it!

-- Bucket, any person that spends 10k on a bicycle is guaranteed to be a $@I almost started to like you. -bhog