Great, and inexpensive

Review by Goodsh posted 25 days ago 1900 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great, and inexpensive No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought this saw for $30 about 6 months ago. It is great. Cuts super fast in all types of wood often without tear out and is very easy to use. I use it for both crosscuts and rip cuts and it produces fine results in both. The blade is solid and tight in the handle. The handle is a little cheap – it’s basically just a dowel but for $30 bucks I wouldn’t expect much more. This saw is great. To be honest I much prefer this over the Veritas rip carcass saw I got for more than double the price. Maybe it’s my technique but the dozuki is so simple and cuts so beautifully I now use it almost exclusively.

View Goodsh's profile

Goodsh

View QuangFromCalgary's profile

QuangFromCalgary

I have the same saw for couple of years. This is the handsaw to grasp when I need, very easy to use and cut well. I also have vertias saw too, but it is not as good as this one. Thanks for the review

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

I have two Japanese saws that I use for hand work that I love, but have been thinking I would like something with a little more rigid spine for dovetails. Is that a stock photo you have there or is this your work? Does this work well for dovetails as well as for rip and crosscuts?

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

I have a double edge Japanese saw sold by Vaughn. It cost only about $12. I now use it instead of dragging out a “Skil” saw for an occasional cut. Western style “push” saws are just collectible items now. I’m sure a few still use them, but a Japanese style saw is so much more efficient in it’s design. I have never been able to follow a straight line with a conventional saw without a lot of effort. The Japanese saw makes it a piece of cake.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5388 posts in 2025 days

I like ridged backed pull saws. And, I have no problem whatsoever following a line. It’s the saw that can’t see. It’s cuts are the evidence.

View cdaniels's profile

cdaniels

kocgolf, I am stationed in japan and have been afforded the opportunity to work with some japanese mastercraftsmen. They use only these saws for everything and i’ve been almost completely converted to them. they work great for dovetails and really for any type of cuts. they leave edges so smoothe they require almost no sanding to smoothe for final work. my favorite saw for dovetails is a tenon saw that I got on ebay for $20 made in the 1800’s.

-- Jesus was a carpenter... I'm just saying

View Goodsh's profile

Goodsh

Kocgolf: the pic is from LV’s website. I haven’t done dovetails with it but it does work well for both ripping and crosscuts. Definitely a good general purpose saw. There’s another review on the site with pictures of cuts: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2723

I tested the professional dozuki that LV has in the store and didn’t notice a difference between it and this one.

View Lumberpunk's profile

Lumberpunk

Have one… love it

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

Well, I ordered it up, can’t wait to get it! Thanks for the info guys, and for the review Goodsh.

View Fettler's profile

Fettler

I have one of these; They’re korean made. For some reason mine veers to the right. Probably just user error.

-- --Rob, Seattle, WA