Veritas T-Slot Router Bit

Review by Lumberpunk posted 06-28-2014 01:18 PM 5668 views 6 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas T-Slot Router Bit Veritas T-Slot Router Bit No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love this bit, have owned for about a year now and used on several projects. At $22 Canadian I figure I have saved $60 or $70 on buying t-track for my jigs. The bit will cut a slot full depth straight off but I find it best to hog out most of the waste with a 1/4 or 5/16 bit first and then cut the slot. Tend to leave some furry bits on the top of the slot… easily cleaned up with a few strokes with some sand paper. Living way out in the country it also means I can have t-track anytime I want instead of having to wait for delivery.

I have used it to cut slots in Hardwood, Plywood and MDF, it cuts well in all three, just don’t screw things down too hard it the sheet goods or the edges will crush.

All in all this is a great and useful bit for anyone who make their own jigs or is planning to start.

Second pic show my drill press table with crossed tracks and a track routed in a strip of birch to hang accessories from.

Enjoy!

-- If someone tells you you have enough tools and don't need any more, stop talking to them, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

View stefang's profile

stefang

#1 posted 06-28-2014 03:21 PM

Thanks for this tip Mr. Smart. I can’t find ‘T’ tracks here in Norway and I don’t want to pay a fortune in freight to get them either, but this router bit and some of the T slot nuts looks like a great solution to me.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

14888 posts in 2051 days

#2 posted 06-28-2014 08:19 PM

I use a Freud bit that is identical to yours to do my T tracks. I cut a 1/4” dado with the tablesaw first.

MDF knobs cut with a hole saw in the drillpress, toilet bolts, and nuts are a cheaper alternative to your store bought ones! Note that toilet bolts come in a couple of sizes so get the ones that fit your “T Track”.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#3 posted 06-28-2014 10:47 PM

A few years ago I bought a jig and fixture kit from Lee Valley, about $100 worth of t-bolts, washers and knobs for I think around $25… money well spent.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

14888 posts in 2051 days

#4 posted 06-29-2014 12:09 AM

Sounds like a bargain (and prettier than my shop mades!)

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Roger's profile

19433 posts in 2165 days

#5 posted 06-29-2014 11:34 AM

Thnx for your review. Like Andy, I have made my own “t-tracks” in some jigs. Plow a dado in the base, then laminate 1/8” or 1/4” hardboard, then plow a slot in the middle of the dado, and presto, you have a “t-track”

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#6 posted 07-01-2014 04:14 AM

Looks like a great bit to own and use. I also have a very hard time finding many woodworking tools like this where I live…not enough people here for them to have stores that sell items like these. Can you please share where you bought the bit.

Thanks

-- Larry in Hawaii,

#7 posted 07-01-2014 06:19 AM

Veritas is Lee Valley’s tool brand.

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

#8 posted 07-11-2014 07:07 PM

I love your jig/fence holder on the side there. That’s a pretty ingenious idea for storage.
Good job!

#9 posted 07-11-2014 09:16 PM

Yes Sarit! I have this stuff hanging all over now… end of my table saw, under the router table… so easy to do.
I also used it to make the bar for my 3 in 1 marking gauge here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/103253

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#10 posted 03-17-2015 09:46 AM

thanks for sharing this

#11 posted 03-17-2015 11:52 PM

@michelletwo: I can’t say enough good things about this bit

View HokieKen's profile

HokieKen

#12 posted 08-17-2016 12:48 PM

If you’re still monitoring this review, I’m curious how the tracks have held up in the wood over time? I have a t-slot bit and used it for my router table fence but I rarely use the t-slots in the fence so I don’t know how well they really work. I’m considering using it to route hold-down slots in my coping sled because it’s 1/2” ply so I don’t have the room to install metal track. I’d appreciate any feedback you have!

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!