Osborne EB3

Review by Tbarksdale posted 06-26-2014 03:57 AM 2272 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Osborne EB3 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the osborne eb3 on ebay for 30 bucks 43 S/H this thing is great dead on accurate,its a little bulky at first but the design and construction are top notch.

-- Tbarksdale Cullman Alabama

View Tbarksdale's profile

Tbarksdale

#1 posted 06-26-2014 01:57 PM

I have one for several years and I love it.
In addition the design makes a lot of sense for me.

View eddie's profile

eddie

#2 posted 06-26-2014 03:53 PM

you got a good deal and a great tool .love mine

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#3 posted 06-27-2014 06:41 PM

I had two and returned both. both had the front raise and were not accurate in-between settings.only at 90 and 45.But that is a good deal especially if you get one that is accurate.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Cadkook's profile

Cadkook

#4 posted 06-28-2014 12:31 AM

Have one for a couple of years. Not impressed. Will not repeat back sqr after cutting an angle. Must make frequent test cuts/adjustments to return to 90°. Useless @45°. 45 is not 45….somewhere ~45.5° It sits in a box unused. Probably close enough to make decorative picket fencing for flower gardens but not for fine work ($110 loss)

View stefang's profile

stefang

13528 posts in 2054 days

#5 posted 06-28-2014 03:24 PM

Looks great, but wouldn’t fit my Euro saw or my bandsaw miter slot. I can see what an innovative design it is. It makes me wonder if I could make one, hmm.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

#6 posted 06-30-2014 02:32 PM

It is strange to see that many find the miter gauge extremely accurate and other do not.
Al reviews, especially Amazon reviews, are in fact very confusing for me as after reading them I do not know what to believe.

View stefang's profile

stefang

13528 posts in 2054 days

#7 posted 06-30-2014 06:36 PM

My Euro miter gauge on my table saw is kind of interesting. Instead of being straight, the fence forms a triangle which points to out feed end of the saw table. The first miter is cut on one fence angle and the matching miter is done on the other, resulting in a perfect match joint every time. The length still has to be accurate to get a true square or triangle. Of course this method does not guarantee that the joint will be located exactly in the corner of the pieces being joined.

I also have a sliding table with an straight fence that is adjustable to whatever angle you want. The advantage with this one is that a stop can be used to get the lengths accurate, but the angle has to be adjusted just right for an accurate joint. I usually use my sliding bevel to get the angle just right instead of relying on the marked angles.

The bottom line is that if a miter gauge isn’t accurate it can still be set accurately with other instruments. Then the only danger lies in the locking mechanism be loose or defective. This has happened to me with my bandsaw. Luckily I was able to fix it, although I have made a sliding table for my bandsaw which I usually use instead of the miter gauge. When I want to cut a few mitres I just pin a small fence to the plywood table and then pry it up after use or when I need a different angle.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View jimmyhopps's profile

jimmyhopps

#8 posted 07-01-2014 05:15 PM

i have one. probably would go with the incra next time. too bulky and less repeatable.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#9 posted 07-10-2014 11:56 PM

There’s a new EB-3 that seems to have slight improvement on reading dial and telescoping arm .

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#10 posted 07-11-2014 12:01 AM

Have had the incra 1000hd for a lil while and it is a machine. Worth every single penny.

But that is a hell of a deal.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#11 posted 07-18-2014 02:08 PM

I love my EB3 and have had it for years.

I do a LOT of custom cabinetry and I have no problems with repeatability or accuracy.

Great addition to the tool chest! And that is coming from a dyed in the wool Incra fan!

P.S. And you can adjust them to correct for any error. See their YouTube video for details on fine tuning.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed