Buying wood online

Review by LukeFreeze posted 06-23-2014 01:13 PM 2828 views 3 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Buying wood online No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I usually do small projects out of specialty woods and sometimes have a difficult time finding stock. For the longest time, I have been getting wood from Rockler because of the smaller sizes and available widths and thicknesses. However, I often times received a crooked or warped piece. The final straw was ordering supplies to make a project out of 3/8” Walnut. I was almost done when I made a wrong cut and needed to order another piece. However, at the time, Rockler was out of 3/8” Walnut, but had the 1/2” :) I suppose they wanted me to order that and a planer. At this point, I looked around and FINALLY found a new supplier and couldn’t be more happy. If you’re looking for a hardwood supplier online, I would highly recommend Ocooch Hardwoods from Viola, WI. www.OcoochHardwoods.com

The best thing about Ocooch is their attention to detail. Here is how your wood arrives.

It’s always sanded on both sides and usually square all around…I’ve not had a piece that wasn’t fixed with a just a quick sand in one or two spots.

I ordered this at 3/8” and of course that’s what I got.

Not too much wiggle room, but a little…I ordered 8” and got about 8 1/16”, seems to be the average i get.

Same thing on the length. I ordered 24” and usually get 24 1/6” or 24 1/8”.

And finally, a quick wipe with Mineral Spirits shows how beautiful it will look.

Hope this helps some of you and keeps you from looking for hours like I did before you take the plunge and find a place with reasonable prices that you can trust to get quality woods.

View LukeFreeze's profile

LukeFreeze

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#1 posted 06-23-2014 08:46 PM

How are there prices?? and shipping cost?

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

1907 posts in 940 days

#2 posted 06-24-2014 10:23 PM

Rusty nailed the question of the day in one try.

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#3 posted 06-24-2014 10:59 PM

Based on this:
it looks like the 3/8” X 8” X 24” walnut is $26 a bf!

Shipping cost:
Orders less than $40.00 shipping is $11.00
Over $40.00 and less than $80.00 – $13.00
Over $80.00 – 20%

-- “While the world with closed eyes sleeps, The sky knows and weeps - steel rain. ” ― Nathan Bell

View cdaniels's profile

cdaniels

#4 posted 06-30-2014 05:15 AM

i don’t mean to be rude chuckv but your calculations are not quite correct. the cost comes out to $8.71 per board foot by my calculations.

-- Jesus was a carpenter... I'm just saying

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#5 posted 06-30-2014 12:12 PM

I’ve been wrong before and I could be wrong again!

The web site lists the price as $13 for 3/8” X 8” X 24”. In bf, this is (3/8 X 8 X 24) / 144 = 0.5. At $13, the cost is $26/bf.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#6 posted 07-21-2014 03:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up. We are pretty lucky here in Houston area. We have a few wood suppliers locally that I can call on for supplies. But, most of it is not finished and needs some work.

Are their delivery times pretty good?

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View LukeFreeze's profile

LukeFreeze

#7 posted 07-22-2014 10:23 AM

Brad,
I think I usually end up paying a flat $11 for shipping and if I remember right, it’s usually here in 3 or sometimes 4 days, which isn’t too bad for clear down here in south Florida. So yes, the wood may be more than other places, as others above pointed out. However,I mainly do small projects and am happy to pay extra for quality wood I know I can always get. Also, paying at least half for shipping and receiving it in less than the 10 days I was getting it from the other places isn’t a bad deal either.

View jfoobar's profile

jfoobar

#8 posted 12-10-2014 02:36 PM

I just made my first purchase from Ocooch this morning and cannot therefore comment on their quality, although I know that they are very highly regarded among the scroll saw folks.

That said, I feel compelled to add a comment to this old thread to defend the $26/bf cost. I live in DC and I have been to every hardwoods retailer in the DC area to my knowledge. Not one of them consistently stocks thin stock to a point that you could feel confident going by that they would have what you need. I can only think of one that even consistently stocks a fair amount of thin stock at all. And, while this particular place has pretty good prices overall, if you look at their thin stock prices and calculate by bf, you would see that they also seem quite high by the bf. I suspect this is normal as thin stock is a specialty item and takes more work to make (and creates more waste).

So, the options are:

1. Hope that the one place has what you need.

2. Pay the hardwood retailer to make the thin stock for you, which means incurring possibly substantial shop charges.

3. Make it yourself from rough lumber, planing, resawing, planing again, possibly drum sanding. This is a great way to save money but it is also a lot of extra work.

4. Order from a place like Ocooch and have exactly what you want delivered to your door.

Most projects that need thin stock don’t require that much of it so going through options 2 or 3 just to get a few square feet of 3/8” Padauk or something just doesn’t seem practical to me.