I hate cleaning up after turning !!

Review by WildmanJack posted 06-22-2014 07:51 PM 2418 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I hate cleaning up after turning !! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I posted this in the Blog section and don’t know if it is appropriate to post here but if not please delete it. Anyway, I hate sweeping up after doing a lot of turning. So I took a Floor sweep, you know one of those awkward black plastic things you hook to the bottom of you dust collector hose and push it around the floor? Anyway, I put a couple off screws in it and attached it under the lip of my bench at my bench top lathe. Hooked it up to the end of that dust collector hose and man does it work great. I also covered it with 1/4” hardware cloth to keep from loosing tools and sand paper pieces, but took the hardware cloth off to show the floor sweep better.I’m only turning small stuff like pens, but i watched it suck the chips right back into itself. Works like a charm. Oh yeah, I put a bunch of those really powerful magnets on my lathe to hold the different bushings. Keeps them handy and I don’t loose them as easily. Just an idea…

View John's profile

John

#1 posted 06-22-2014 10:20 PM

I had the same idea a few weeks ago. Works pretty good. I originally ran the shop vac while turning, but I got tired of listening to it, now I turn it on every now and then and sweep the mess up.

-- I measured once, cut twice, and its still too short...

#2 posted 06-22-2014 10:23 PM

John, I have to admit. The noise of the dust collector is about to drive me crazy butt now I wear headphones and that pretty much cuts it out..
John

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#3 posted 06-23-2014 01:33 AM

I had the same issues. Since I have a 4” DC unit, I put in a blast gate and attached the hose to the bracket of the tool rest. This way it moves with the tool rest and sucks up most of the chips and nearly all of the sawdust when sanding.

What falls on the floor I just use the floor sweep under the table and disconnect the hose to clean off the remainder of the table.

I have been seriously woodworking for about 5 years now but new to wood turning (quite fun) and picked up this lathe from my father in law who retired from woodworking.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

#4 posted 06-23-2014 12:45 PM

Great idea, how do you keep your bench so uncluttered, min is always a mess. LOL

#5 posted 06-23-2014 07:34 PM

My version

View TerryDowning's profile

TerryDowning

#6 posted 06-23-2014 07:43 PM

Nice one Bert, gives me idea.

-- - Terry

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#7 posted 06-24-2014 01:29 AM

Wildman

The trick is to take pictures after you clean the shop. Seriously tho, I am a bit anal about keeping a clean shop. After turning, the chips that escape the DC get sucked up right away off the table top. There is nowhere to go between the table and the wall. The chips that get on me or on the floor get the ole broom treatment and get sucked up with the floor sweep. Honestly, it takes more time to dig the chips out of my apron pockets than it takes to clean up the table and floor. If you don’t have floor mats, I highly recommend them.. I buy mine at a local discount store for $12 a pack of 6 on sale.

Bert, you have a great idea for a free standing “catch all.” After my first couple turnings, I had to go out and get some additional lighting. Sure helps us folks who are getting older.

#8 posted 06-24-2014 02:43 AM

#9 posted 07-07-2014 11:33 PM

How I wish I was anal about keeping my shop clean. I guess I can start tomorrow… I keep trying but…... it ain’t easy !!!!!!