Baileign Jointer/Planer Review

Review by retfr8flyr posted 06-22-2014 06:06 PM 2738 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Baileign Jointer/Planer Review Baileign Jointer/Planer Review Baileign Jointer/Planer Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had my Baileigh Industrial JP-1250 for about 8 months now and I think I have used it enough to give a credible review. Baileigh has been around in the metal machine business for years but just started getting into woodworking machines. I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on this machine and decided, at the price it was selling for, I couldn’t pass it up.

The machine arrived in great shape with excellent packaging. It comes with 4 heavy casters but they don’t swivel, so unless you are going to move it in only one direction they are not very practical. The first thing I did, after unpacking everything, was lift it up and remove the casters. I put the machine in a Jet 708119 JMB-UMB-HD Universal Mobile Base, which has worked very well for me, as I am limited on space and have to move the machine all the time.

I am very happy with the 1250 and it does a great job on everything I have thrown at it. I have run hard Maple, Oak, Walnut, Birch, Ash and Purple Heart through it without any snipe or tear out. I have run 10 ft long boards through it and I get zero snip from it. The noise level is very good, due to the 3” helical cutter head and that is a a big factor for me, as I live in a golf community. Dust collection is very good in the planing mode but could be improved in the jointing mode. I always have to vacuum up shavings from the planer bed when I change over. I have a Jet 1100VX-CK dust collector that is hooked directly to the machine, when in use. Changeover, to planer, is very easy but does require the removal of the jointer fence, which is a very simple process. Converting back to Jointer is just as easy and the fence goes back square without any problem. I always check it to make sure but a couple of bumps with my hand and it’s back square. It’s listed as a 12 inch machine but about the maximum you can run through it is 11 1/2. The bed is 12 inches wide but there are 1/4 inch edge ribs that prevent the full width use. I have added a Wixey DRO to the planer bed and accuracy and repeat-ability is very easy now.

I got mine when they were selling for a lot less then the current price. I would highly recommend it at the price I paid but at the current price I don’t know if it’s as good of a deal. It’s still a very good machine and I would still recommend it but now I’ts up more in the price range of the Grizzly and Jet machines and although they may not be better machines, they are much better known brands.

-- Earl

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#1 posted 06-23-2014 01:52 AM

I was looking at this rig a year or so ago. The price at first looked great until I inquired about shipping. They quoted me about $700 for shipping!

Practices like that drive me crazy and I won’t buy from them regardless of how nice it is.

But congrats on your new tool, I’m sure it’s a beauty in person.

View freddy1962's profile

freddy1962

#2 posted 06-23-2014 02:47 AM

Curious, where are these machines manufactured?

-- JEFF Illinois (Banks of the Mississippi)

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

#3 posted 06-23-2014 04:03 AM

Like almost everything else, I’m sure they are made in China.

-- Earl

#4 posted 06-23-2014 11:26 PM

These kind of machine are mostly made in Europe (for years.I had one in France 30 years ago).
Some are now made in Taiwan and China

View crashn's profile

crashn

#5 posted 06-26-2014 03:30 PM

Looks nearly identical to my Grizzly 12” jointer/planer combo. I have had good success with mine, I feel confident you will have the same experience.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#6 posted 06-27-2014 07:01 PM

It’s almost identical to the G0634Z from Grizzly, accept Grizzly uses the American style guard instead of the Euro style.

The new Polar Bear model G0634XP their latest. It has a much better fence and cost $100 less.

These machines are all built in the same factory in Taiwan and the quality out of that operation is quite good.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View crashn's profile

crashn

#7 posted 06-30-2014 08:36 PM

I ave the G0634P, polar bear with spiral, ha served me very well indeed. I do have to take the fence off to convert it, unlike your’s were it flips up with the bed.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes