Home made Dust Collector

Review by gotnonickname posted 06-15-2014 03:03 PM 3405 views 9 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Home made Dust Collector Home made Dust Collector Home made Dust Collector Click the pictures to enlarge them

While trying to figure out how to afford a new cyclone dust collector, I started looking at what was available as single components. The Oneida Super Dust Deputy came up and that`s all I needed to get the project motor started. Since I re-kindled my love of woodworking, I have been using a Fein vac and a Dust Deputy kit for all my dust collections needs. This has worked well, but not the greatest with the planer and tablesaw. So when I started this project, I was looking to create a system with a small footprint which would replace my current system. I purchased the molded SDD and the metal drum. Total cost for these was under $300. I also had a Harbor Freight super coupon and purchased a #31810 dust collector. Now to figure out how to mount. As you can see from my pictures I built a simple rack to mount all components with the ability to easily empty the drum. Had all the needed materials around the shop and set forth building rack. Many screws and lots of glue later, its complete. Fired it up and this bad boy took right off. Very quite and lots of suck. Connected it to my planer and started to make chips. I have a Delta 22-590 planer which does not have a powered chip fan like the Dewalt. Usually my small system would get 75% of the chips. This bad boy got all, plus some chips that were hidden in places where the sun doesn`t shine. The motor never bogged when a heavy cluster of chips would move into the cyclone. The cloth bag was clean as a whistle. Like they claimed, 99% of chips were separated. Next addition will be a exhaust filter. After that a manifold system. This system was designed to be used with one tool at a time since I do not have room for a permanent system.
So bottom line is, if you need a great dust collector at a budget price, then in my opinion, the Oneida SDD is the way to go. Make sure you have excellent sealing between drum and cyclone. A got a little anal and made sure all joints were sealed.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#1 posted 06-15-2014 06:11 PM

Way to go. I’ll bet the satisfaction that you did it yourself is immense.

View Roger's profile

#2 posted 06-15-2014 10:20 PM

The SDD does make a difference. I added it to my HF 2hp, and, it’s unbelievable how much better it is.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

#3 posted 06-16-2014 04:51 AM

I am doing one of these as soon as I have room for it

-- Norman

View deparrott's profile

deparrott

#4 posted 06-16-2014 12:04 PM

Thank you for posting your project. This is very close to what I’m planning for my shop. I am curious about the bracket supporting the blower. Was it included as part of the HF system or was it purchased elsewhere?
Thanks

-- http://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodTurningCity

#5 posted 06-16-2014 03:09 PM

follow this link to Harbor Freight for the dust collector power head:

Make sure you remove inlet and outlet plastic screens to increase flow. Also added a elbow to outlet to clear up restriction the hanging bag made. Follow this link for that:

View Crickett's profile

Crickett

#6 posted 06-16-2014 04:18 PM

What is the CFM rating of the motor? I’m concerned that the bag may be a bit on the small side and better suited for a smaller wall-hung unit with a lower CFM. What’s the micron rating of the bag? Typically with felt and cotton it’s a trade-off (better breathability means less captured dust). If the custion is really strong, that bag could produce back-pressure in the system and cause it to drop efficiency quickly. Having said that, the layout and execution looks good.

View deparrott's profile

deparrott

#7 posted 06-16-2014 05:22 PM

Thanks for the link about the blower bracket. The reason I didn’t recognize it is because I thought that was the larger 2 HP rated blower. I’ve got the coupon for the larger unit for $149. I can probably figure out a way to mount the bigger blower because really like your tower/cart setup.

-- http://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodTurningCity

#8 posted 06-16-2014 07:49 PM

To answer the questions asked, first off the blower, not the motor has the cfm rating. The HF blower is rated at 660cfm. I am going to asume that is no load, meaning no bag, just calculated based on impeller area and motor rpm. The bag is plan old cotton. So the best your going to get for filtration is 30 micron. As for reduction of flow, ya the bag will reduce the flow. Same goes for a filter. When you upgrade to the filter you need to understand how flow through a filter is rated. As you see in my pics, flow is straight up through system with no bends. As I said before in an earlier post, the outlet of the blower now has a 90 elbow and that allows bag to hang which increased flow through the system. The pinch in the bag in the picture did cause a loss of flow through system. You can feel a draft from the bag now when running.
Next question from myself is a link for the HF 2hp blower. Would like to see it to find out if it has more cfm of flow.

If it does and the inlet is larger than 4”, I might go for it when I get another super coupon and the unit is on sale.

View ducky911's profile (online now)

ducky911

#9 posted 06-16-2014 08:41 PM

I am worried that that bag is spreading the fine dust all over your shop(the stuff you can not see) , not sure what that bag is rated but you might be better to vent it outside. Otherwise cool system.

View Dallas's profile (online now)

Dallas

#10 posted 06-16-2014 09:05 PM

A long time ago I was worried about dust so I bought the 1HP HF unit. It runs about 4 tools but never at the same time because everything is within 10’ and I am the only person in my shop.

I was concerned about the 30 micron bag so I dumped it and replaced it with a .5 micron pleated collector filter from a major mfg.
Then I built a box that is located against the wall with a 3/4 HP squirrel cage and motor in it from a Roof Air for an RV. I made it so it would hold 2-25”x25” furnace filter rated at MERV 14.

This sucks the airborne dust and works well enough that I have to change the filters about once a month when the shop is up and running.

Just my way, your mileage may vary. Objects under Tee-shirt are larger than they appear!

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

#11 posted 06-16-2014 09:18 PM

ducky911
No fine dust all over the shop. Even with the 30 micron bag. I have an overhead Delta room dust collector running whenever the new system is on and that filter is doing it`s job and filter is staying clean. Currently I am in the process of making my filter holder and will install in the next few days. Filter rack will replace bag. When they say 99%+ of dust separated, that is no BS. The key is your design and there must be no leaks anywhere. I washed the bag prior to install and since it was cotton let it air dry. If I was going to stick with a bag then I would purchase the 5 micron Dust Right bag from Rockler. I always wear a resperator so the fine dust in the lungs is not an issue. I also blow my shop out about every month while I have the Delta room unit on and the garage door open. When the weather is nice I roll the new unit outside anyway to reduce the noise. I get more cotton from the nasty neightbors cottonwood tree than dust in my shop from the new system.

#12 posted 06-18-2014 01:00 AM