Makes Your Palm Router Infinitely More Useful!

Review by Wes123 posted 06-10-2014 08:46 PM 2996 views 2 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makes Your Palm Router Infinitely More Useful! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since I got my Dewalt 611 palm router, it has really become my go to router. Plenty of power for most jobs and more nimble than my Festool OF1400. The only problem I have had with this router is that you are limited to 1/4” shank router bits. Besides the chatter problems associated with some 1/4” shank bits, I just don’t have that many 1/4” shank bits and don’t want to purchase a bunch of new bits to use on my Dewalt router! The Elaire 8mm collet allows me to use my Festool, Lee Valley, and Leigh 8mm bits with my palm router. I believe the manufacturer website says the collet works with both Dewalt and Porter Cable palm routers, but I have not verified this personally. Not sure about the Bosch Colt. In any case, it does exactly what a router collet should do. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities for palm routers and is well worth the $20 investment!

Also, if you were wondering whether the palm router has enough power to route dovetails on a Leigh jig, it does! I don’t have the VRS attachment for the Leigh jig and I don’t need it using the Dewalt 611. When I use my Festool OF1400 on the Leigh jig I definitely wish I had the VRS attachment for router support.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's website.

View Wes123's profile

Wes123

View marwood's profile

marwood

#1 posted 06-10-2014 10:13 PM

I have a DeWalt D26204K, which is the 230V/50Hz version of the 611. I bought an 8mm collet that is specifically for it from here. Can’t tell if that collet would fit the 611 though.

View GoBlu's profile

GoBlu

#2 posted 06-14-2014 08:33 PM

That’s a great little router. I got the plunge base kit with mine. That plunge base comes in handy. I use the Rockler dovetail jig that has 8mm bits and a collet adapter for 1/2 inch bit routers. The 611/612 would be a great option to use with it, easier to maneuver than the bigger routers.