Makes Your Palm Router Infinitely More Useful!

Review by Wes123 posted 06-10-2014 08:46 PM 6195 views 3 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makes Your Palm Router Infinitely More Useful! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since I got my Dewalt 611 palm router, it has really become my go to router. Plenty of power for most jobs and more nimble than my Festool OF1400. The only problem I have had with this router is that you are limited to 1/4” shank router bits. Besides the chatter problems associated with some 1/4” shank bits, I just don’t have that many 1/4” shank bits and don’t want to purchase a bunch of new bits to use on my Dewalt router! The Elaire 8mm collet allows me to use my Festool, Lee Valley, and Leigh 8mm bits with my palm router. I believe the manufacturer website says the collet works with both Dewalt and Porter Cable palm routers, but I have not verified this personally. Not sure about the Bosch Colt. In any case, it does exactly what a router collet should do. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities for palm routers and is well worth the $20 investment!

Also, if you were wondering whether the palm router has enough power to route dovetails on a Leigh jig, it does! I don’t have the VRS attachment for the Leigh jig and I don’t need it using the Dewalt 611. When I use my Festool OF1400 on the Leigh jig I definitely wish I had the VRS attachment for router support.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's website.

View marwood's profile

marwood

2 posts in 1953 days

#1 posted 06-10-2014 10:13 PM

I have a DeWalt D26204K, which is the 230V/50Hz version of the 611. I bought an 8mm collet that is specifically for it from here. Can’t tell if that collet would fit the 611 though.

View GoBlu's profile

GoBlu

#2 posted 06-14-2014 08:33 PM

That’s a great little router. I got the plunge base kit with mine. That plunge base comes in handy. I use the Rockler dovetail jig that has 8mm bits and a collet adapter for 1/2 inch bit routers. The 611/612 would be a great option to use with it, easier to maneuver than the bigger routers.

View fiddlebanshee's profile

fiddlebanshee

#3 posted 10-16-2018 01:47 PM

I know this review has been written a while ago, but wanted to give a shout out to thank you! i had purchased a rockler dovetail jig from someone second hand and only after found out it only works with 1/2” shank routers that take 8 mm bits through a reducer. I have the DeWalt 611 so—problem!

I called rockler with no joy. They just basically said – too bad, can’t help you. Then I found your review, and have ordered the 8mm collet. Am looking forward to using the jig now!

So thanks!

-- As if I needed another hobby!

#4 posted 10-25-2018 07:29 PM

Wait! Are you saying that there is an adapter that lets me use 1/2” bits on my 611??

#5 posted 10-25-2018 07:35 PM

I contacted

- Andybb

I contacted the manufacturer of the custom collet about 1/2” bits, and they say they can’t make a collet to accept 1/2” bits for the 611. The link above allows you to use 8mm bits, which are really good. You can get the 8mm bits through Lee Valley or super cheap on ebay.

#6 posted 10-25-2018 07:43 PM

I got excited there for a minute!! So….I’d have to buy 8mm bits if I want a shaft larger than the stock 1/4” one? I’ve got a good collection of 1/2” bits. Don’t want to start another collection.

#7 posted 10-25-2018 10:43 PM

Yeah. I emailed them. No 1/2” option. Oh well.

#8 posted 10-25-2018 10:50 PM

I got excited there for a minute!! So….I d have to buy 8mm bits if I want a shaft larger than the stock 1/4” one? I ve got a good collection of 1/2” bits. Don t want to start another collection.

- Andybb

Yeah I got excited at the possibility of a 1/2” collet as well. Too bad because the 611 is a great router. I have a good collection of 8mm shank bits already, so it makes sense for me. If you just have 1/4” and 1/2” bits, probably not worth converting. However, I will say that the 8mm shank size works very well. You don’t get the chatter you get with some 1/4” bits (if you take a heavy pass or you’re working with a really dense wood). Hope that makes sense.