A World of Difference from the Stock Blade

Review by jonah posted 06-07-2014 11:26 PM 2713 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A World of Difference from the Stock Blade A World of Difference from the Stock Blade No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I mentioned this blade in my review of the Scheppach Track Saw. It gave me tearout-free cuts in pretty much everything I have tried with the track saw.

Just look at the closeup of the two blades. On the left you have the stock blade. It is probably a $5 blade. On the right is the Freud. Much more carbide, much sharper carbide, and a much better cut.

The only possibly negative of this blade is the price. At $45, it isn’t cheap, but it’s quite a bit less than Festool blades, and from what I’ve read gives comparable cut quality. $45 seems like a lot for what is basically a 6 1/4 inch circular saw blade, but I can’t complain about the quality of cuts I have gotten.

Worth the money, in my opinion.

Replacing stock blades with moderately-priced, high quality alternatives is one of the best investments you can make. No tool I’ve ever purchased has come with a quality blade, so I’m used to having to spend more to get something decent for the saw.

All in all, I’m happy with the Freud blade.

View jonah's profile

jonah

453 posts in 1953 days

#1 posted 06-08-2014 10:51 AM

I bought many Freud products, I have never yet being disappointed by any often.
I read reviews of the other LJs who had problems with Freud router bits, but I never had. I always have been 100% satisfied
$45.00 for saw blade is a pretty good price, regardless of the diameter.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#2 posted 06-08-2014 02:29 PM

Does the kerf match the stock blade? One of the advantages of all the Festool blades, for example, is that the kerf is the same across all the blades, so you don’t have to install a new splinterguide whenever you change blades.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#3 posted 06-08-2014 04:47 PM

The original blade looks like it was stamped out of sheet steel, while the Freud has been laser cut. The original blade doesn’t look all that bad. A good sharpening could make it cut better, but it may not be cost effective. I use Freud blades, but only the ones made in Italy.

#4 posted 06-09-2014 04:12 PM

Buying better blades is a must with any tool. Weather its table saw, band saw or track saw. $45 is a good price. I’m a big Forrest blade fan , going rate over $100 but they stand behind there product. I had one warp after having it for 3 months they sent new one and wanted old one to send to R & D ...I had a Teynru who after resharping by there rep told me its no longer under warranty. I’m like really ? With over 12 blades in all, I only use Freud and Forrest. Enjoy!

View BentheViking's profile

BentheViking

#5 posted 06-11-2014 02:04 AM

Where’d you get the blade? Wondering if there are local places that sell replacement track saw blades or is online the best bet?

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

View jonah's profile

jonah

453 posts in 1953 days

#6 posted 06-11-2014 02:49 AM

I got mine on Amazon, at the same time as the track saw.

I will say that someone went a bit overboard tightening the arbor nut on my track saw. I had to pull out a t-handle allen wrench and still stripped the thing a bit before it finally released.

Also I nearly cut myself a few times on the Freud blade, trying to get it into the saw and hold it steady. That thing is sharp.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#7 posted 06-12-2014 09:36 PM

I never liked the blade that came with my saw.

#8 posted 06-14-2014 03:49 PM

Big fan of Freud saw blades here : ) Thanks for the review.

View Fishinbo's profile

Fishinbo

#9 posted 06-19-2014 07:46 PM

Been searching for good quality blades, I hope they have what I need.