Good bandsaw for a small shop

Review by MoshupTrail posted 47 days ago 2584 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good bandsaw for a small shop Good bandsaw for a small shop No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted a small bandsaw to cut some curved parts from time to time. When I saw this one at Menards for just $229 it just had a look of being solid and the right thing for my small garage shop. The table is cast iron, and the housing is heavy duty steel and the motor appears to be a sealed 1/2 hp motor. You can see the specs at Menards site.

Assembly was pretty easy, but I did not choose to assemble the stand. The directions are pretty typical – you have to read carefully twice to understand what they mean and translate all the obscure part references to the mess in the bag.

The only problem I had was that after I leveled the table left and right, I noticed that it wasn’t level back to front. There is no adjustment for this. You see the gap between my little square and the blade in this picture.

So I took out the two lower bolts holding the trunion to the housing (next picture)

And I found a couple of thin nylon spacers to add between the trunion and the housing.

Which seemed to just about fix it perfectly.

Finally, I tried sawing a few scraps. Starting with a 1/16” slice off a pine board.
Then I drew a curve on the board and tried cutting that.

The saw cuts well and is very stable. Although it cut smoothly I don’t think the blade is very good. It makes a click-click sound as it goes around. I think it’s the weld. But the blade is easily replaced with a nice one from Highland Woodworking.

On the whole, I think I’ve got a great band saw for a small shop!

-- Some problems are best solved with an optimistic approach. Optimism shines a light on alternatives that are otherwise not visible.

View MoshupTrail's profile

MoshupTrail

I have the 12” craftsman model. I had to do the same thing with mine and used thin metal washers.

-- Norman

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

Looking at the manual, it looks pretty good. The blade guides and frame are surprising. They look like features that come on more expensive machines. I hope it serves you well. Keep us posted as to how it holds up.

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

1903 posts in 467 days

That looks just like the rikon bench top band saw I’ve been seeing in the fliers from my local WoodCraft store. Looks like a win!

-- Bucket, any person that spends 10k on a bicycle is guaranteed to be a $@I almost started to like you. -bhog

View MoshupTrail's profile

MoshupTrail

@MrRon – you are correct! The guides are all ball bearing rollers, and the frame is rock solid steel.

@Buckethead – I noticed the resemblance to Rikon too.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

COOL lil bandsaw… nice FIX too!

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

Nice review! The cut looks pretty accurate. Good idea on replacing the blade, sample blades just suck.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

Just FYI, a click-click sound can mean a blade that’s ready to break. The stock blade probably just has an inferior weld.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View vbraddy17's profile

vbraddy17

Nice review. I’m in the market as well for a small band saw. Thanks for the info.

View Farrout's profile

Farrout

I have a 10” Craftsman and found that putting a premium blade on it made a big difference.

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I should be a genius!