The Small Walnut Humidor, a photo documentary

Review by shipwright posted 06-05-2014 10:12 PM 2413 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Small Walnut Humidor, a photo documentary No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve come to know Roger through this site and consider him a good friend although we’ve never actually met. More importantly here is that I consider him one of the finest box makers around. When someone of his caliber is willing to share what he has learned, I think it makes a lot of sense for most of us to listen up.

A while back Roger contacted me and sent me a draft of the new e-book to critique and perhaps to make a few suggestions from a different point of view. I spent a quite a bit of time going through it and thoroughly enjoyed myself in the doing. In the end, all I could suggest was that he publish it so that more people could have the experience. To me at least, there was simply nothing to improve.

This is a wonderful little how-to book, a pleasant casual read, and a great woodworking resource all rolled into one neat downloadable package. Roger’s informal style lets you feel like you’ve just dropped by his shop and he’s showing you what he’s been building lately. If you ever wanted to look over the shoulder of one of the really talented craftsmen at work, this is your chance.

While the book is not written for the complete novice, but rather aimed at the intermediate woodworker who is looking to tune up his game, there is virtually no one who will not find something here to make him a little better. There are all sorts of tips on techniques, dedicated jigs, thought processes, and material choices, all delivered in a comfortable “sitting down over a coffee” style.

My personal favorite part is the hand drawn plans, or more properly, detailed sketches that Roger adds to illustrate assemblies and techniques. Sketchup is a great tool but hand drawings are just so much nicer to see and friendlier to work from. That’s just my favorite. You should really download this book and you’ll soon find your own.

Here’s the link.

Disclaimer: Yes I am a “friend” of the author and would love to see this book become a great success, but I wouldn’t recommend it if I wasn’t sold on it’s value.

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/

View shipwright's profile

shipwright

View Patricelejeune's profile

Patricelejeune

#1 posted 06-05-2014 10:19 PM

Could you add a link to it? It seems really interesting.

-- Patrice lejeune

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#2 posted 06-05-2014 10:52 PM

I think this is the link…

Small walnut humidor – iPhone photo documentary

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#3 posted 06-05-2014 11:06 PM

Yes, a Link would help a lot… :)

View shipwright's profile

shipwright

#4 posted 06-05-2014 11:25 PM

Oops! Link is now in the text above.

View rodk1's profile

rodk1

#5 posted 06-06-2014 02:17 AM

Yes, I downloaded this as soon as it was avallable. It is a Great Read. Thanks Roger !

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#6 posted 06-06-2014 02:18 AM

Paul thanks for posting the review. Roger sure does great work…..

View stefang's profile

stefang

13274 posts in 2021 days

#7 posted 06-06-2014 08:26 AM

Thanks for the review Paul. I just ordered it. Should be an interesting read. Even though I could never hope to approach that kind of quality in my own work I’m sure I will learn a lot.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#8 posted 06-06-2014 04:09 PM

Paul,
Many thanks for the review. No one has done more here on LJ to advance the skill of marquetry than you. You’ve certainly influenced me.

And, thanks to all the other folks here for the generous comments.

This is the third eBook (or photo documentary) that I’ve completed. There will be more I’m sure, till I run out of new things to say. Each book is quite different, at least that’s the goal, as I try to cover new material and techniques in each one. Remember, I’m just a hobbyist who continues to learn, and keeps trying to make the best box I can – each one different. There’s not a lot of mystery to making fine boxes; I just try to share some of the techniques that work for me.

I sincerely hope that others will give it a try. Thanks again.

View Dennis Zongker's profile

Dennis Zongker

#9 posted 06-06-2014 06:07 PM

Thank you Paul, for a wonderful truthful honest review, you are a great asset to Lumberjock’s your one of the best!!!

I’m not being bias because Roger is a good friend of mine, But he’s e-books are top notch!!! I would say if your a box maker or any type of woodworker this is a great purchase, if your looking to lean some great woodworking techniques from a master box maker. I would highly recommend this e-book.

-- Dennis Zongker

View SteveGaskins's profile

SteveGaskins

#10 posted 06-06-2014 09:25 PM

Thanks Paul. I purchased all three of Roger’s Ebooks the day Roger posted his humidor here on LJs. Like Roger’s boxes, his Ebooks are impressive, and full of photos. He also includes description and photos of the jigs he uses to build his boxes. If you are looking for a way to boost your box building (and woodworking skills), Roger’s Ebooks are definitely worth the purchase!

Paul – Thanks for the review.

-- Steve, South Carolina, http://www.finewoodworkingofsc.com

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#11 posted 06-07-2014 11:23 AM

thanks shipwright for acknowledging Roger’s work. He is a master. Unfortunately for me I cannot download e-books. old crotchety computer & slow provider! bummer!

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

#12 posted 06-09-2014 04:22 PM

Awesome reviews from some of the Masters on here!!!!! which means I’ll be buying it as well. But then again I’m a woodworking book junkey lol. With guys like shipwrights and Dennis Zonker giving a thumps up it has to good. There among the most respected lumberjocks on here along with others of course.

Look fwd to the read,