First impressions of the Anniversary Edition G0555 14" Band Saw

Review by dansnow posted 06-03-2014 10:53 PM 3237 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First impressions of the Anniversary Edition G0555 14" Band Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After nursing along my Dads old Craftsman 12” band saw, I was really looking forward to getting my new saw. After much research and pricing I had settled on the G0555LANV 14” for a number of reasons. It had a 1 HP motor where several others in the price range were 3/4HP. It had a cast iron frame and table instead of cast aluminum and stamped steel. The wheels were cast iron instead of cast aluminum and it had two speeds.
But one of it’s biggest selling features to me was the fence system that came with it. Being able to accurately cut on it instead of having to unlimber the table saw was a big plus. Another was the riser kit. At some point I will purchase the kit which will allow me to resaw up to 12” thick.

It arrived a few days ago and my son and I eagerly began unpacking and assembling. Instructions were adequate and clear and assembly went quickly. Until we were ready to assemble the fence to the table. At that point we discovered that the table hadn’t been drilled and tapped to allowing mounting of the very fence system is was designed to use!! But once again Grizzly’s outstanding customer service department stepped up to the plate and we will have a drilled and tapped table delivered by the end of the week.

It was for this reason only that it received 4 instead of 5 stars.

Everything else works as advertised. I’m impressed with the ease of use, and the full ball bearing blade guide system keeps the blade rock solid. The overall fit and finish of the parts is top quality. The blade tension release works flawlessly and makes changing out blades almost effortless.

I would recommend this saw to anyone. I’ll post a reply once we have the new table and I’ve had a chance to use the new fence system.

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

#1 posted 06-04-2014 12:48 AM

Thanks for the review!

Eventually we will be getting a large bandsaw; not for a while though.

If we run onto a “FSNTASTIC” deal, it might be sooner.

I will keep in mind the review. Our Wisconsin “Wood-Chuck” friend says “Grizzly tools” are great also.

-- just rjR

#2 posted 06-04-2014 12:55 AM

You’re welcome.
This was one of those tools that we’d been discussing for well over a year. It was based on evaluating our needs vs wants, since in some cases a light duty bandsaw was fine, but there were more and more situations coming up where a larger heavy duty band saw was what was needed. Since I’ve lost a source of free wood I had, I’ll need to have the ability to buy larger/thicker wood at a lower cost and then resaw it to the sizes I use for the toys and other projects. Plus there were projects I wanted to try, but needed the capabilities of a larger saw to attempt them.

View lumbermeister's profile

lumbermeister

#3 posted 06-04-2014 01:35 AM

Congratulations on your new saw! I’m not sure I agree with your comment re. a cast iron frame being more desirable than stamped steel; i.e., iron is relatively soft and malleable, while the stamped steel, being formed to a wide cross-sectional area, offers greater rigidity (as you go up in price on bandsaws, note whether the frame is cast iron or aluminum).

At any rate, there is little doubt that your received a fine saw. Many happy blade rotations!

-Lumbermeister

View English's profile

English

#4 posted 06-04-2014 01:43 AM

Good review!! Great looking Saw.

I purchased the Grizzly riser kit and installed it on a 14” Craftsman. You will love the flexibility it gives you.

John

-- John, Suffolk Virgina

View Rxmpo's profile

Rxmpo

#5 posted 06-04-2014 03:11 AM

I always scratch my head when I read tool reviews and there are such glaring errors by the manufacturer on the finished/shipped product. Seriously, we are not talking about a harbor freight product here, so how do these things happen with such regularity? Sorry for speaking out loud what is going through my brain, but extremely disappointing for a customer who has been waiting for this tool to find such a gross error.

PS~ I have a grizzly 14” Ultimate BS and love it… Thankfully, no problems came with mine.

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

#6 posted 06-04-2014 08:05 PM

I have the Shop Fox W1706, which is basically the same saw with a different base. I have been very happy with mine and I think you will enjoy yours very much, once you get to use it some. I also have the riser kit on mine and have resawn up to 12 inch boards without any problems. I use a 1/2 inch 3 TPI Timberwolf blade for most of my work, especially the resawing and I recommend it.

-- Earl

View Fishinbo's profile

Fishinbo

#7 posted 06-04-2014 09:26 PM

That’s a great bandsaw. Thanks for the review. You should buy good quality blade, should serve you well.

#8 posted 06-04-2014 10:53 PM

I was wondering about blades. We had pretty good results on the old 12” Craftsman with Bosch blades. Tried an olsen 3/8” blade and on the third or fourth project it broke at the weld!

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

#9 posted 06-05-2014 12:53 AM

congrats on the new saw.i’ve had mine for 6 months now and love it.i believe its a well made saw.thanks for the review!!

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#10 posted 06-05-2014 09:10 PM

Normally, if the weld broke, the error is on the manufacturer , weld is not good. You should ask Olsen to send you another blade. I am using TW, haltbar and HWW blades now.

View bowedcurly's profile

bowedcurly

#11 posted 06-07-2014 09:30 PM

nice saw, make lots of dust

-- Staining killed the wood<<<<<>>>>>Dyeing gave it life

#12 posted 06-07-2014 09:34 PM

Congrats on the saw, glad to hear the Grizz stepped up

-- Norman

#13 posted 06-08-2014 07:10 PM

Received the new table last Friday and got it installed yesterday. I got the fence system mounted, it was a very simple installation. Now that everything is mounted I can take my time and carefully go through the setup to make sure everything is properly adjusted.

-- Dan Snow & Son Wooden Toys & Gifts

View Ken90712's profile (online now)

#14 posted 06-09-2014 04:27 PM

I have this on just not the anniversary model. I put the riser kit on it and love it. Great saw for the home woodworker no doubt.

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#15 posted 06-09-2014 11:50 PM

good review … my 30 yr old AMT is still kicking, but when it dies, I will be shopping for a Grizzly

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain