Almost a really good clamp

Review by mramseyISU posted 64 days ago 1865 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Almost a really good clamp Almost a really good clamp Almost a really good clamp Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recieved these clamps as part of a Mini Clamp-It set with two of the assembly squares which work really well and 4 of these clamps. I’ve had them for a little over a year and up until recently I really liked them. About a month back I was using them and as I tightened them down I noticed that the threads on the clamp were all bottomed out but they weren’t tight. That was funny I thought and then I noticed that the head was coming off of all of them. The flaw on these clamps is that the pads are pressed on and staked with a center punch to hold them in place. That works for a while but eventually the come loose. I’ve had to go and drill holes through the ends and press in 1/8” x 1/2” dowel pins to fix that problem. If you do that plan on buying a few extra drill bits to finish the job the chrome plating on the bar dulls the drill fast and I’ve broken a couple doing the job. Once you get the pins pressed in they work great.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2368 posts in 2041 days

Hmm good to know. Glad that you found a work around to fix them. I’ll bet Rockler would be interested in knowing about this. They’re pretty proud of their stuff and might make some changes over time. At least you know from the broken/dull drills that the materials are good!

I agree, Rockler would like to hear about this and see your fix

-- Norman

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

I actually did send Rockler a message on twitter yesterday about this because I was too lazy at the time to email them but I may still do that.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.

View Tango's profile

Tango

Crappy clamps…I bought them 2 years ago and I regret it…