I've tried a few blades but this one does it.

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 05-26-2014 07:16 PM 2290 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I've tried a few blades but this one does it. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Usually in my old Rockwell/Delta table saw I use a combination blade. I do very little crosscutting in my table saw as it’s not new and doesn’t have a super fence on it. My main use of it is to cut my wood to width in the jointing/planing process of readying the wood to use. I own a nice sliding combo 12” Bosch miter saw that I do all of my crosscutting with. The combination of the two saws lets me get by pretty good.

I tried a couple of rip blades in the past few years. One was a dewalt with lots of teeth and the other a freud glue line blade. both worked well but not well enough. The Dewalt didn’t really cut that well especially with thicker or harder wood. It would bog down sometimes. But, it never really got worse. It lasted a long time before sharpening. The Freud glue line cut a really nice line but after a couple of months it began to really burn he wood and have a harder time getting through even 3/4 hard wood.

I decided to order this Freud iced one. I had read that fewer teeth will give a rougher cut but with the large gaps between teeth it will shed the sawdust faster and thus give a faster cut without taxing the saw. Sure enough that seems to be correct. The cost is about $50 which puts it in the range of people who can’t pick up some of those super $100+ blades that I’m sure are worth every penny.

This blade cuts very fast (for my saw) and doesn’t seem to bog the saw down at all. I’ve used it through about 100 bd feet of projects so far and it’s staying true like when I first used it. The teeth on this blade are massive. I’ve got a bunch of older saw blades and none of them with carbide teeth have carbide on them even half the size of the ones on this saw. The downside of course is that the cut isn’t as smooth as some of the blades I’ve used with more teeth. But they are good enough for gluing and sometimes I put the edge through the jointer just the same.

So, the recommendation is that if you’ve got an older or smaller table saw that doesn’t have quite the umph of some of the newer/larger saws and you’re looking for a good rip blade at a decent price. I’m sold on this one. Maybe it will work for you too.

It’s got 5 stars because it’s working as I’d like it too. It’s cutting, lasting, and even though the cut isn’t super smooth it’s not supposed to be and never advertised as such. It’s a 24 tooth blade. It is what it is.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#1 posted 05-26-2014 07:58 PM

Good blade. I have one put away that I got for Christmas 2 years ago. I don’t use it, I’ve been using a Freud 1024x for the last two years because I was cutting wood I harvested and was worried about bullets and nails.

My go to blade for the last 3 years has been an Oshlin 24 tooth full kerf.
This thing never slows down and makes a pretty smooth cut.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

#2 posted 05-27-2014 01:18 AM

I’ve been using a lot a Freud/Diablo blade that I get at Big orange. They are the range of $10.00. They are a 7 1/4 blade that is usually used on a skill saw. They are 1/16” thick and I’ve found that I get no burning on my wood.

On my table saw It will cut 1 5/8” thick before I run out of lift. Out table saw at the toy workshop is really not tuned up and everything that we cut that is on the left of the blade on rips has a burn mark. Sometimes also on the right side of the blade. When I put this blade on, it is thin enough that it flexes as it is going through the cut and doesn’t burn. I bought about 8 when they had a special buy one blade and get a second one free.

These blade are really made for skill type saws especially if they are battery driven because the cut line is only half as thick.

I was at a woodworking class and the instructor was cutting 1/16” inlay strips with this blade in a 60 tooth version.

I’ve also used mine to cut some thin brass sheets that I put between two pieces of plywood to keep the metal shards from flying around.

Great blades and throw them away when dull. (I’ve not gotten there yet on any of them).

Big Orange also has a blade like it under a different name (Blue Blade) and they have special packaging at some stores with two blades in a package for the price of 1 and also 4 blades for the price of 3. Their 10” blades are 2 blades for $25.00 at our local store.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#3 posted 05-27-2014 07:13 PM

Very nice blade. Using a dedicated rip blade with 24 teeth or so is a huge improvement over trying to rip with a combo blade.

#4 posted 05-28-2014 03:37 AM

I also use the 7 1/4 Freud/Diablo blades in my TS, works great has never slowed down and no problems

-- Norman

View Billy E's profile

Billy E

#5 posted 06-04-2014 05:10 PM

I use the thin kerf version of this blade, also a 24 tooth FTG blade. It’s very efficient on my TS3650 saw.

-- Billy, Florence SC